It all started with a jigger of tequila. Then, somebody ordered mojitos. Then, you ended up drinking beer. You had a smashing night out! And, now, one side of your head feels heavier than the other. You’re certain you won’t make it to your desk by 8 but, you can’t miss your big presentation at 11. In your head, you’re struggling, “What to do? What to do?” Probably goggled up “hangover remedies” and came across this article.
Well, Party Girl, we’re not going to tell you to relax because all that alcohol is going to make your heart sprint well into midday — if you’re lucky, that is. If not, get ready for a mental roller coaster ride. Except, we have good news for you!
Top 10 tried and tested hangover food
That’s exactly what you were looking for, right? So, “How to cure the hangover,” you ask? Take a cold shower and rub off all that smoke and foul smelling alcohol on your skin, brush your teeth and head straight to your kitchen to make these:
1. Hot water. If you feel that it’s the tequila or mojito or any hard drink that’s making your stomach sick, this is the fastest way to get it out of your system. It’s not food just plain water. Boil a cup of water and drink a whole mug of it fast while it’s steaming hot. If you feel like vomiting after, go ahead and do so, it will make you feel so much better after.
2. Ice cold soda. On the other hand, if it’s the beer that’s giving you a bloated stomach, grab that cold soda in the fridge and drink up. Your goal is to give yourself a big burp to let out the air that’s making you feel queasy. When you get that, even your head will feel lighter.
3. Citrus juice. If you’re diet does not include soda, try a freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice but, don’t quench it in its concentrated form or you’ll get even dizzier. Blend it with cold water and ice to tone it down. You’re going to want it cold. Bottoms up!
4. Coconut water. This can be insanely thirst quenching. Keep in mind that alcohol dehydrates you that was why you kept going back to the toilet last night. When you’re finally dehydrated, that’s when the effect of the alcohol sets in. Coconut water can help you replenish that lost fluid, fast.
5. Miso soup. Or, any sour soup, for that matter. This will have the same effect as your citrus juice and will relieve your stomach by allowing it to steady up. Go ahead and add a pinch or two of salt, it will help replenish the lost electrolytes in your body.
6. Sports drink. Another quick way to replenish your body’s lost nutrients and fluids is by hydrating with a Gatorade or any similar sports drink. These drinks are specially designed to be quickly absorbed by the body so you can get back on track in no time.
7. Green smoothie. Turn to your crisper and pick up any vegetable that you can find. Get a piece of each and cut into smaller pieces. It’s better if you can find fragrant herbs like celery and rosemary that you can throw in. Ginger will also be fine. Blend with ice and gobble it up. You need seriously healthy food to bring back all the vitamins and minerals into your system, and this is the fastest, most concentrated way that you can do that.
8. Big Burger Meal. Another big tip on how to cure the hangover is to fill up your quivering tummy to relieve it of spasm. It will also help displace the gas. Soak up those acids with a big bun and a huge burger patty to cancel it out. If the burger isn’t within reached, a pizza or a burrito will also be great alternatives.
9. Oatmeal and fresh milk. This favorite breakfast duo is rich in fibers and is a great candidate to help sweep the toxins off your system so you can flush these out. Milk will help relax your tummy. Add a piece of banana to your meal so that your tired muscles can feed on it too.
10. Nuts. You want to let in the good proteins in your system too. It will help breakdown the alcohol so you can go ahead and have a good rest of the day.
Another toast? Just kidding. Get going and good luck on your presentation!