When you go to park or some gardens, you will find some rows of trees giving an elegant look. Those are called Ashoka trees. Do you know, apart being an ornamental plant, it has numerous health benefits too.
Ashoka trees are found all over India. These are grown in gardens for decoration. It is more common at heights of 2000 ft.
Appearance of Ashoka trees:
The evergreen Ashoka tree is 25-30 ft tall with its numerous dense branches. The inside of the bark is reddish, it bears round, pointed and 9 inches long leaves. New leaves are reddish in color but turn dark green on maturing. Flowers grow in bunches, and are orange or reddish in color.
The pod is 4-10 inch long, 1-2 inch wide and grows in summer season. When the stem is pricked, liquid oozes out which turns red when exposed to air.
Chemical composition of Ashoka Tree:
The bask has tannins, essential oil, a glycoside, saponins, calcium and carbonic compounds one with calcium and other with iron. The ketosterol of the bark has properties as that of estrogen hormone. Thus it is very effective in reproductive system.
Now, let us move to the medicinal usages and health benefits of Ashoka trees.
Nomenclature of Ashoka tree:
English name– Ashok tree
Hindi name– Ashoka
Sanskrit name– Tamrapallav, Apshok, Bhajari
Telugu name– Ashokamu, Nanjulamu
Family name– Caesalpiniaceae
Botanical name– Saraca asoca
Health benefits of Ashoka tree:
1. Heals Acne-
- Boil the bark, until it gets thick and forms a decoction.
- After getting cool add an equal amount of mustard oil to it.
- Apply this on acne and boils.
- Regular use is very good and treats well.
2. Improves Intellect-
- Take equal quantities of Ashoka’s bark and bramhi powder.
- Mix well and give 1 teaspoon of this mixture every morning and evening with a cup of milk.
- Give this regularly for 1 month.
- It sharpens intellect.
3. Improves facial complexion-
- Take juice of its bark and grind mustard seeds in it.
- Let the mixture dry in shade.
- Grind mustard in its bark juice and apply on face as mask.
- It improves complexion.
4. Flush out Renal stone-
- Take 1-2 gm Ashoka seeds and grind them in water.
- Give 1 teaspoon of this seeds, grind in it.
- It cures the problem of urination and also relieves the pain due to stones.
5. Relieves Fracture-
- Give 6 gm powder of the bark with milk to the patient, twice a day.
- You can also apply the powder of bark on the bone.
- It helps in joining the bone and relieves the pain.
6. Aids in Bronchial Asthma–
- Take the seed powder, as the size of rice seed.
- Wrap this powder in betel leaf and give to the patient for 6-7 times.
- It gives relief in Asthma.
7. Helpful in Leucorrhoea-
- Mix equal amounts of bark powder and sugar candy.
- Take 3 gm of this mixture with cow’s milk twice a day.
- It helps in treating leucorrhoea.
8. Treats Bleeding piles-
- Take equal quantities of bark and the flowers.
- Take 30 gm of this mixture and soak in a glass of water at night.
- Next morning, strain the solution and give it to the patient.
- Repeat the same procedure in evening.
- It gives immediate relief in bleeding piles.
9. Sexual problem in Women-
- Take 20 gm Ashoka bark and 20 gm barley.
- Grind the two and boil in 250 ml of water.
- When 30 ml is left, mix 6 gm honey in it.
- Give this decoction to the patient, twice a day.
- It improves sexual vigor in women.
10. Treats Bleeding diarrhoea-
- Grind 3-4 gm flowers in water and give to the patient.
- It controls blood loss in stools.
Many of us consider all the species of Ashoka trees as the same, but it has variations. There is a variety of Ashoka which has same resemblance and known as False Ashoka or Mast trees. Following we are giving a table chart, which will make you able to distinguish between the both.
|Category||False Ashoka||Ashoka trees|
|Size||The size and the structure of tree is trimmed for a good look; it is taller and ornamental||Size generally remains small to medium|
|Flowers||generally apple green in color||reddish orange in color|
|Fruits||those are small, spherical and contain only one seed||Ashoka fruits looks like broad beans containing multiple seeds|
Thank you to our fan follower in Facebook, who detected this mistake. Many of us get confused about the distinguish between the two forms of Ashoka tree.
So, in this way we saw the immense health benefits of Ashoka tree. Isn’t it a miraculous plant. Many of us, were not even knowing its properties. Try to use this in your daily life and kick out all the harmful chemicals and drugs away!
Hope you like the article. Share it to all and make everyone aware of this herb. Take care and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.