A person who is thin and lean wants to gain weight but sometimes get lured by the certain advertisements that promises to gain weight rapidly but there are no results in the end. It must be remembered that there is no short cut for weight gain or weight loss. It is a natural process which depends upon the metabolism and body type of an individual. One must not get lured by such advertisements that ensures weight gain in just few days. To gain weight, there must be strong digestion power, diet rich in proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and a little bit of fat must be included and intestines must be cleared from worms.
Weight gain according to Ayurveda
Weight gain is described in Charaksamhita (textbook of Indian medicine). According to Ayurveda, if a person has weak digestion strength but he is taking nutritious diet, there will be no gain in weight. Ayurveda explains the digestion strength as "Agni". The way the ancient seers looked at human physiology is quite different than the modern perspective. According to the ancient Ayurvedic Masters, as wind, light, heat and water control the nature, Vata, Pitta and Kapha control the human body. Tridosha controls all the parts of the body, so they also control the Agni (digestion power).
Wherever there is a processing with fuel like running of a motor engine, there is an element of fire involved. Hence, in the process of digestion where food is used as a fuel by the body to burn and generate energy, there is a predominant involvement of fire. So, Pitta is the main component of Agni (fire). But as we know, fire alone cannot burn a mass. It requires some amount of air as well. Proper quantity of oxygen rich air helps to keep the fire alive. Wind is co-related with "Vata" in Ayurveda. Hence, the process of digestion also involves "Vata". For the digestion process to work and run smoothly, Vata should also be in a healthy state. Ayurvedic treatment includes strengthening of digestion fire as well as air element in the body by prescribing medicines followed by medicines/diet which helps in gaining weight. Antaragni (internal fire) empowers digestive fire to digest food. Then, the food is taken at Dhatu level (level of body tissues – blood, muscle, bone tissue etc.). Here, the food is subjected to "Dhatu Agni"(digestive process that converts particular part of food into native Dhatu). The essence part “Rasa (taste)” and the waste part (Mala) of the food nourishes the body tissues and body waste products and thus the proper portions of the tissues and waste products are maintained in balance according to the shape and size of the body. Thus, it is imperative to maintain digestion strength in order to gain weight.
If a person is born with dominant “Vata” dosha, then person will be thin from his birth and there are minimal chances of weight gain.
If thin body is governed by hereditary factor, then there are less chances of weight gain.
What are the causes of weight loss/thin body?
- Excess physical exercise
- Excess fasting
- Skipping meals
- Lack of sleep
- Frequent diarrhea, IBS, ulcerative colitis
Complications of thin body for a long period of time
- Depletion of digestion power
- Depletion of immunity
- Depletion of muscle mass, skin complexion
- Person becomes prone to repeated infections
- Joint related disorders due to increase in "Vata" dosha.
Diseases caused by severe weight loss
- Reduction in the power of digestion
- Reduction in strength
- Reduction in muscle tissue
- Pain in chest
- Pain in cardiac region
- Obstruction in passage of stool, urine
- Pain in thigh, calf and lumbar regions
- Cracking pain in fingers, bones and joints.
Top 5 Ayurvedic Herbs for Weight Gain
There are few herbs/tips taken from Charak Samhita to improve thin person’s looks by putting weight healthily having no side effects. In recent times, if one has lost weight very rapidly, then putting on weight can be achieved in a short period of time. But, if one has lost weight over a long period of time, then putting on weight will also take time. So putting on weight is an ideally a gradual process.
1. Ayurvedic Home Remedy to put on weight – A smash fruit mixture prepared from dates, dry grapes, Indian gooseberry (Amla) and pomegranate is prepared and little sugar can be added to improve taste. 1 tablespoon of this mixture can be taken 2 times a day upto 1 month to achieve effective weight gain.
2. Soy bean – Include soybean in your diet to put on weight.
3. Include more dairy products in your diet like – curd, cow’s ghee, cheese, milk.
4. Regularly use little quantities of spices such as – cinnamon, ginger, garlic, clove, black pepper, cardamom in your diet. Spices help to improve appetite.
5. More fruits and salads must be included in diet.
6. Good Sleep – Stress free life and good sleep is very important to put on weight. Sleep for atleast 7 hours. Keeping a good mood is also essential for gaining weight as tranquility of mind also causes weight gain. Try to keep mind calm by practicing Pranayam in your daily schedule
7. Regular oil massage with sesame oil/mahanarayan oil helps to improve muscle strength, relaxes body and mind and also relieves stress. Take a half-bowl of any of the above oil, apply a thin layer of oil all over the body and gentle massage must be done for 3-5 minutes, leave the oil on the body for atleast 10 minutes and then bath with lukewarm water.
8. Frequently use of freshly harvested rice, sugarcane, black gram in diet may help to gain weight.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE – UNDERWEIGHT
Eating rules that may help to gain weight
- Eat only when you are hungry.
- Do not drink water before or after taking food.
- Drink water while taking food
- Do not distract yourself with mobile phone or TV while eating.
So, don’t get lured by the attractive advertisement for gaining weight. Weight can be gained naturally by following Ayurvedic tips along with living a stress free life.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM