Every one of us has experienced a common cold and are prone to some allergies. Common cold and allergies sometimes lead to the runny nose which causes discomfort and we all want is to get rid of it as early as possible. Both allergies and the common cold are the most common causes of Rhinitis. Rhinitis is characterized by runny nose and stuffiness. It can be defined as the inflammation and swelling in the mucous membrane of the nose. Here you will get to know the important points to remember about and natural remedies of rhinitis.
Types of Rhinitis and their symptoms
Rhinitis can last for a long period of time is actually chronic rhinitis and that for a short duration is known as acute rhinitis. However, when categorized on the basis of symptoms Rhinitis can be of the following types
Any harmless substance that causes an allergic reaction is known as an allergen. Pollen, dust, molds, grasses are some common allergens. When we come in their contact our immune system reacts. This leads to allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is commonly known as Hay fever. Its common symptoms are-
- Runny nose
- Stuffiness and itching in the nose
- Watery eyes
As its name suggests, it is a viral issue. The virus can be of several types, but the most common is Rhinovirus. It is the virus that causes the common cold. Common symptoms include-
- Runny nose
- Low-grade fever
Any disease which stays for a long duration is known as a chronic disease. Rhinitis caused by viral infection or inflammation might stay for long. Chronic Rhinitis can also occur with diseases like syphilis, tuberculosis, and many more, though it’s rare. Common symptoms include :
- Nasal obstruction
- Bleeding from nose
- Discharge of pus from nose which is thick and foul smelling.
This is the form of Chronic Rhinitis. It is characterized by the hardening and thinning of the mucus membrane of the nose. This results in the widening of the nasal passage and makes them dry. It is common in old age. The common symptoms are-
- Formation of crusts inside the nose.
- Recurrent bleeding from nose.
- Loss of smelling known as anosmia
It is also the form of Chronic Rhinitis. This gets worse by dry air. It can be distinguished by the color of the inflamed mucus membrane. The color may be bright red or purple and can vary. In some people, it can also affect sinuses leading to their inflammation. Its symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
It is severe and is also known as rebound congestion. It occurs due to excessive use of nasal sprays and decongestants.
Non allergic Rhinitis
Its symptoms are common like that of allergic rhinitis, but it’s different from it because it doesn’t involves immune system.
Prevention of Rhinitis
For preventing, it is best avoid allergens. Other than this some preventive measures are :
- Wash your hands more often
- Don’t rub your nose
- Use handkerchief
- Wash your clothes and bed sheets in warm water to reduce allergens.
- Keep your doors and windows closed on a windy day to stay away from pollen
- If you have a pet and you are prone to allergies, maintain some distance from them.
Natural Remedies for Rhinitis
There is a number of medications like antihistamines, decongestants, nasal corticosteroids, cromolyn sodium and so on to treat rhinitis, but here you will discover natural remedies for rhinitis.
It is an Ayurvedic therapy. In these various medicines are flushed into your nasals. Commonly used is a saline solution. This relieves the nasal congestion and also prevents infection to the sinus.
Other than saline solution, Anu taila can also be used for this.
Studies suggest that it reduces histamines levels and thus is helpful in rhinitis. For this, you can consume fruits rich in Vitamin C like lemons and oranges.
This is most commonly used remedy and is effective to some extent. It improves nasal obstruction.
Herbal Medicine for Rhinitis
There are some herbs that can reduce symptoms of allergic rhinitis
- Ginger: It is a great herb and is used as a natural remedy in a number of diseases. It is safe and improves blood circulation. Ginger is a natural antihistamine, antiviral, and an immunity booster as well. You can add it to tea, or kadha.
- Vacha (Acorus calmus): This has full of anti-allergic properties. Thus is effective in allergic rhinitis. Moreover, vacha is of hot potency, so it suppresses runny nose, nasal congestion and sneezing.
- Giloy (Tinosopra cordifolia) It is an effective immunomodulator and has shown effective results in allergic rhinitis. It reduces the symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, and boosts your immunity.
- Trikatu : It is an Ayurvedic formulation. Trikatu is combination of 3 pungent herbs that are- black pepper, long pepper and ginger. This formulation reduces the symptoms of nasal congestion, sneezing, itchiness of throat and nose.
Other Ayurvedic Medicines for Rhinitis
Other than these herbs, there are some other Ayurvedic medicines for treating allergic rhinitis. These are commonly available in the market. Some of them are
- Anu tailam,
- punarnavadi kashayam.
- Ayurveda therapy also involves panchakarma which focuses on removing toxins from the body and this can help in rhinitis as well.
Change your Lifestyle too
Apart from this, you can also change your diet and lifestyle. You should
- Avoid eating yogurt, cold food, red meat, and fried food.
- Consume seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Increase the consumption of Vitamin C.
- Protect yourself from chilly winds
Hay fever is not a serious problem until it becomes chronic. So it’s better to cure it at the early stage. These all are simple and natural remedies that you can try at home and get rid of allergic rhinitis. However, if something is serious, and you aren’t relieved by any of the natural remedies, you must visit a doctor. The doctor may prescribe you medicines according to your body type (prakriti).
Try to prevent exposure from pollen and other allergens. Follow the preventive measures and avoid the diet which can worsen Hay fever.
Also Read :
- Respiratory allergy and its natural cure
- Top 15 Home Remedies to Beat Snoring and Win Back Quality Sleep
- 6 Yoga Training Mistakes Which Are Holding You Back
- How to cure Allergic Rhinitis-Treatment in Ayurveda
- Natural Remedies for Migraine
- Top 7 Home Remedies for Allergies-Natural Ways to Relief
- Everything you must know about Lupus and it’s Treatment
- Is there a Natural Cure for Ulcerative Colitis?-Ulcerative Colitis Natural Remedies