Every living being has its lifespan; like humans possess 100 years, tortoise for 200 years, a dog for 20 years and much more like that. There are many trees and plants which are quite nearer to immortality! They possess very high lifespan actually. Generations after generations and decades after decades, the world has changed but the banyan tree stands erect witnessing the changes around it. Yes, in our present topic we will be talking Banyan tree.
Appearance of Banyan Tree:-
Banyan is one of the trees which has got a special mention in Hindu mythology and is a well-known tree. It is a standing-straight, erect and one of the high values tree. It bears oval-round shaped leaves which resembles those of Jack-fruit leaves.The leaves of the banyan tree are large, leathery, glossy green and elliptical in shape. Like most fig-trees, the leaf bud is covered by two large scales. In India, Banyan tree is regarded as a sacred tree. Most of the temples are built beneath it only.
Branches of the tree are widely spread out from which grows Ariel roots, which grow downwards and touch the ground. The stem is whitish brown and thick.The plant also bears flowers which are actually not visible; it develops into fruits which are round with small and numerous seeds in it. Trees bear fresh leaves in May-June and bear fruits throughout the year.
Nomenclature of Banyan:-
English name- Banyan tree
Hindi name- Bargad
Sanskrit name- Vata, Nyayagrodh, Jagrila, Vitapi, Bahupad
Bengali name- Bada Gacha, Bata
Arabic name- Kavirool, Ashjar
Family name- Moraceae
Botanical name- Ficus benghalensis
Now, let’s move to our concerned topic which is called ‘Health benefits of Banyan’. Here we will be talking how to use this tree and its products for health purposes. Banyan tree is available everywhere and affordable. THus, it can be used to cure ailments and to stay healthy.
15 Health benefits of Banyan tree:-
1. To Improve facial glow-
- Take 5-6 fresh leaves of Banyan and grind them with 10-20 gm of red pulse.
- Apply the paste to face. It cures all types of skin problems.
- Grind dried yellow leaves of Banyan, jasmine leaves, red sandalwood and koot in water.
- Apply this paste on face. It cures acne or patches on skin.
- Take yellow leaves and flowers of Banyan, liquorice root, lotus flower and saffron.
- Prepare a paste with water and apply on the face.
- It brings glow to the skin.
2. Cures Ear problems-
- Take few drops of banyan milk and mix with mustard oil.
- Put 2-2 drops of this mixture in the ears.
- It cures the boils and kills the worms.
3. Treatment for Hair problems-
- Take 20-25 gm ash of its leaves and mix 100 ml linseed oil in it.
- Massage this oil on the head.
- It cures baldness and grow new hair.
- Take extract of soft leaves and mix equal amount of mustard oil in it.
- Cook the oil till it forms a medicated oil.
- Apply this oil on hairs.
- It cures all types of hair problems.
- Take equal quantities of Ariel root of Banyan and sesame seeds.
- Grind two into a fine powder and apply on head.
- After 30 minutes clean the head and apply coconut and bhringraj oil on head.
- It helps increase the hair length.
4. Treats Nasal bleeding-
- Give 3 gm powder of its Ariel roots with buttermilk.
- It is the fast, instant and one of the best cure for Nasal bleeding.
5. Good for Tooth problems-
- Take 10 gm bark of Banyan tree, 5 gm catechu and 2 gm black pepper.
- Grind them all to form a fine powder.
- Use this powder to brush the teeth.
- Apply the Banyan milk on aching tooth. It gives relief.
- Soak a piece of cotton in the milk and apply on the cavity of aching tooth.
- It cures Halitosis and also aids in all kinds of tooth infections.
6. Treats Excessive Urination-
- Grind the seeds of Banyan into a fine powder.
- Take 1-2 gm of this powder with cow’s milk twice a day.
- Continue this dosage.
7. Helpful cure in Diabetes-
- Grind the bark and aerial roots of Banyan.
- Take 20 gm of its powder and cook them in 1/2 kg of water.
- Boil till it gets reduced to 1/8th.
- Cool the solution, strain and give it to the patient morning and evening.
- Continue this for 1 month. It is beneficial in curing Diabetes.
8. Treats Diarrhoea-
- Take 6 gm buds of Banyan and boil in 100 ml water.
- Strain the solution and mix sugar candy in it.
- Give this to the patient followed by buttermilk.
- It immediately cured Diarrhoea.
- Take 3 gm powder of bark and give it to the patient thrice a day with rice water.
- It gives immediate relief.
9. Treats Nausea-
- Take 20 gm of its green leaves with 7 cloves.
- Grind them in water and strain te solution.
- Give this to the patient.
10. Cure for Urinary disorders-
- Take equal quantities of fine powder of fresh bark and sugar.
- Give 4 gm of this mixture to the patient with fresh water.
- Or, give 4 gm powder of aerial roots twice a day with fresh water.
- It cures urinary disorders and seminal weakness.
- Mix 10-20 gm powder of ripe fruits with sugar candy and give it with milk.
- It is nutritive and rich in minerals, thus a good cure for all types of Urinary disorders.
11. Treats Swelling of Eyes-
- Take 10 ml of Banyan tree milk and 125 mg camphor and 2 teaspoon of honey.
- Apply this mixture with an eye-liner.
- It cures corneal opacity.
12. Helpful in Severe ulcers-
- Grind the soft leaves and buds with water and strain the solution.
- Add equal amount of sesame oil in the solution and cook it.
- Apply this oil 2-3 times a day on the ulcers.
- It cures the ulcers and swellings very fast.
13. Immediate cure for Burns-
- Grind its buds or soft leaves with curd and apply on the burnt area.
- It brings immediate relief.
14. Treats Itching-
- Grind 1/2 kg leaves and soak them in 4 liter water overnight.
- Next morning boil them till the water gets 1 liter.
- Add 1/2 liter mustard oil in the water and cook till only the oil is left.
- Strain the solution and store it.
- Massage with this oil.
- It cures both dry and wet types of itching.
15. Helpful in Bleeding diathesis-
- Grind 10-20 gm buds or leaves into a paste.
- Give this paste to the patient with honey and sugar mixed in it.
So, in this way we came to know how can, this huge plant can be so beneficial and good for health. Believe in Nature and see its magic. Take care and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.