The human body is a very complex formation of nature; being the most advanced and intellect living being of all its physique is the combination of fundamental unit of life called; cell. A group of similar cells forms a tissue; group of similar tissue forms an organ; group of organs forms an organ system and several systems forms an ‘Individual’.
Proper functioning and healthy organ systems are very important for an easy-going and healthy body. Even if an organ gets disturbed; then the whole body has to suffer. Here, we are going to describe a disease which is related to one of the systems called ‘Digestive system’.
Digestive; is derived from the word ‘digest’ which means to assimilate, absorb or dissolve. As the food gets churned through teeth and engulfed under esophagus. The digestion process starts. Several enzymes present in stomach gets combined with food and the process continues till reaching to intestines.
The timing of complete digestion varies in accordance with food and several other factors too. For a proper and ease digestion, the strong system is necessary. In this case, only, several minor disruptions are noticed like indigestion, heart burning etc. Commonly some antacids are provided for instant relief but for major ailments, some other procedures are interlinked with.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):-
By the name what can you conclude about the disease; any kind of irritation in Bowel system; Inst it! But the disease is far major than this. It is a gut disorder which affects the large intestines or colon area.
In this disease, there is no abnormality in the structure of the system but merely affects the functioning. In this very disease, the system tends to be weak and upset. But, if the part is even diagnosed with the microscope the gut looks normal. While getting digested, food has to pass through several chambers in which colon also includes.
An abnormality in it can weaken the whole process as well as the system. IBS can affect anyone at any age, but it is much riskier among females than males. The causes of IBS are still unknown. This disorder continues as a long-term disease; even after recovery, it is noticeable.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome:-
- Bloating and swelling in the abdomen
- Pain and discomfort in the abdomen
- Feeling quickly full after eating
- Muscle cramps
- Heavy heartburning
- Bladder symptoms
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome:-
There is no exact reason for the cause of IBS. We all have discussed that this is the disease of large intestines in which the wholesome digestive system is affected. The gut is a long muscular tube which goes through the mouth and ends to the anus. Stress is said to be the primary cause of IBS.
Food is passed along it with contractions and squeezing to the walls of intestines. Pain and inflammation are normal in this, but maybe possible excess of it can result in the disorder. Overactivity of the nerve muscles can also be the specific reason.
Allopathic cure in IBS:-
In allopathy field, IBS has also some cure. Several medications, as well as dugs, are prescribed by the physician in this. Belladonna alkaloid combinations, barbiturate combinations, and Phenobarbital are prescribed for the cure as well.
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic which is a common drug in IBS. Levosulpiride is an antipsychotic agent which is prescribed in gastro-disorders and in IBS too. Well, all these drugs are prescribed for long-term use.
None of us wants to be bold with drugs and medications; a simple natural therapy and all diseases are gone! What can be better than this? Let’s move to the world of Ayurveda and see its magic.
Ayurvedic cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):-
Ayurveda is the ‘science of life’; it teaches us the way to lead a happy, glorious and healthful life. “Health (Arogya) is our birthright”; everyone has the right to lead a healthy life. It is not at all a treatment; it’s a way to live life.
It was discovered about 5000 years ago; as the origination of India itself. In Ayurveda, IBS is regarded as Grahini Dosha which affects the small intestine and the large intestine. It is considered among the eight Maha Gadhas meaning Diseases which are difficult to cure.
Herbal cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome-
- The best form of herbal cure for IBS is; Peppermint oil. It relaxes your abdominal cramps and also reduces swelling.
- Slippery elm; a herb which benefits in many kinds of disorders. It calms the irritation by coating a lining to the intestinal system. It softens the stool and also relieves constipation.
- Amla fruit is also very beneficial to cure IBS. It heals in overall digestion. You can take ‘Amalki powder’ 1 teaspoon in empty stomach with water. On a regular basis, eat raw amalki fruit.
- Triphala or Triphala churna can be taken; it cures bloating and its laxative property cures abdominal pain.
- Aloe Vera juice can be taken twice a day. It binds your system and cures it naturally.
- Chamomile herb is a very beneficial herb for IBS. You can have it in solid or liquid form. Prepare the herbal tea of chamomile herb.
Yogasanas for Irritable Bowel Syndrome:-
Above, we discussed the herbal therapies for IBS cure. For ab perfect and uproot cure, several yoga and activities are also required; it tones up the feverish part making it healthy. Following are the three yogacises which are very helpful in the cure of IBS:-
Parighasana; also known as ‘Gate pose’ is a yogacise which stretches the side of the body toning up abdomen, improving circulation and making body flexible. This yoga pose is suitable for everybody especially for those suffering from IBS. Perform according to your capacity.
Steps of Parighasana-
- Kneel on the floor such that your thighs are parallel with hip-width apart.
- Stretch out your right leg to the right side.
- The sole of the foot should be flat and toes should be pointing forward. Place the right hand on the right thigh.
- Inhale and bring the left arm overhead with fingers pointing forward.
- Exhale while bending from the waist; so that your left shoulder should be back and relaxed.
- Hold the pose for 15-20 seconds; exit the pose by making torso straight.
Salamba setu bandhasana-
It is also called ‘supported bridge pose’. It increases the flexibility of your abdomen, reduces fatigue and is also helpful in correcting the spine. In this, your body likes like a bridge supported with some solid thing. One suffering from IBS should perform it on regular basis.
Steps of Salamba setu bandhasana-
- Lie down on your back; bending your knees placing feet flat on the floor.
- Feet should be parallel to each other; pressing the upper arms and feet to the floor begin to lift the hip moving your breastbone to the chin.
- Actively bring the knees out in front of you. Keep knees above the ankles.
- Inhale deeply while lifting upward and while coming out release the breath and relax the arms and lower hips down.
- Repeat this 5-10 times.
It is also known as “Happy baby pose”. In this your pose tends to be like a happy baby. It relaxes the sacrum and is also good to cure muscle cramps, abdominal swelling and etc symptoms related to IBS.
Steps of Ananda Balasana-
- Lie down on back and breath deeply. Let your knees fold and bring them to press on your belly.
- Hold your hands on the outside part of your feet. Make your knees widen more than your torso.
- Let each ankle placed over each knee making a right angle to the ground.
- Your thighs should be brought towards your body.
- Simply your hands and feet should be floating on air. Inhale and exhale repeatedly. This pose can be stilled for 20-50 seconds. Relax after the exit of pose.
Things to avoid in Irritable Bowel Syndrome:-
- You should avoid having spicy food stuffs which threaten your digestive system.
- Cauliflower, brinjal, jackfruit etc are not allowed in the case of IBS.
- Drink an adequate amount of water and try to make your diet light and rich in fluids.
- Colas and aerated drinks are very bad in these cases; you can have natural coolants like lemonade, lassi, buttermilk etc.