Sheesham tree is widely used in buildings and furniture. Apart from this, it has many more uses including medicinal benefits. Today our topic is on medicinal benefits of Sheesham tree.
Sheesham is a self-grown plant and found all over India. It looks like a simpler tree but has numerous uses and health properties.
The appearance of Sheesham tree:
Sheesham/Rosewood tree grows up to 100 ft tall. It has thick, brown bark with vertical fissures in it. The new branches are soft and bent, which has 3-5 leaves on a stalk which are alternately arranged.
The plant bears flowers which are yellowish white in color. The pods are long, flat and 2-4 seeds in it. There is another variety of Sheesham too, which has blackish brown wood.
Properties of Sheesham tree:
- Sheesham is bitter, pungent and astringent in nature.
- The plant is intrinsically warm and cures swelling and oedema.
- It has also the potential to cause miscarriage.
The chemical composition of Sheesham tree:
From the woods and seeds, an oil is extracted which has numerous medicinal properties. The wood contains an oil and the pods have tannin; the seeds have a stable oil.
Nomenclature of Sheesham plant:
English name– The Blackwood, Rosewood
Hindi name– Sheesham, Sheesho
Sanskrit name– Shinshapa, Krishnasara
Telugu name– Irubuddhu, Shishupa
Family name– Fabaceae
Scientific name- Dalbergia sissoo
Now, we shall be talking about the medicinal benefits of Sheesham tree. We are sure, after reading its benefits you will love this tree, as a natural medicine itself.
Medicinal benefits of Sheesham tree:
1. Aids in Dermatoses-
- Mix the mucilage of its leaves in sweet oil.
- Apply this mixture on the bruised damages skin.
- Or, give 50-100 ml decoction of its leaves to the patient, twice a day.
- It cures boils and ulcers effectively.
2. Helpful cure in Sciatica-
- Take 10 kg powder of its thick bark, and boil it in 23.5-litre water.
- Boil until the water is reduced to 1.8th.
- Strain the solution through a cloth and cook it again, till it gets thick.
- Give 10 gm of this thick liquid with ghee mixed milk, thrice a day.
- Continue the dosage for 21 days. It cures the disorder completely.
3. Good in fever-
- In any kind of fever, take 20 gm of its extract in 320 ml water and 160 ml milk.
- Boil the solution, until only milk is left.
- Give this to the patient thrice a day.
4. Heals Ulcers–
- Apply the oil of Sheesham on the affected area.
- It helps cure itching, burning sensation and also heals ulcers.
5. Normalizes over bleeding in Menstrual cycle-
- Take 8-10 Sheesham leaves and grind them with 25 gm sugar.
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
- Within a few days, it normalizes the bleeding.
- In addition, it is also good for leucorrhoea and urinary disorders in males.
- In winters, along with this 4-5 black peppers must also be given to the patient.
- Diabetics can use this without adding sugar.
These were the health benefits and common information about Sheesham tree. So now what’s your view about this tree? Before using and applying any of these therapies, must consult an Ayurvedic physician or herbalist nearby.
Hope you like the post! Share it to all and do not forget to leave a comment here. Take care and live well.
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.