Table of Contents
You might have seen a reddish-orange coloured flower, used in Holi. Yes, it is Tesu flower or Palash flower. Today we will be telling you the medicinal usages and benefits of this beautiful looking, cute plant.
The plant has been used as a medicinal herb since ancient times. The trees are available all over India. Let us see its description and benefits.
Appearance of Tesu plant:
Tesu plant is 5-20 ft tall. The bark of stem is 1 inch thick and rough. The leaves are pinnately 3-foliate, 4-8 inch long. It is shiny at the top and brown below and is hairy. The tip has round bifurcated leaves which are small in size. The plant bears flowers which are shiny, orange and dark red in color.
In summers, an oil is extracted from the flowers which when solidifies, changes into the red gum, which is also known as ‘kamarka‘.
The bark and gum contain gallic acid. It also contains unctuous fluid and alkali. Seeds contain palasonin and the plant contains stable oil.
Properties of Tesu plant:
- The fruits are astringent, quench thirst, coagulates blood and purify urine.
- It is anti-dermatoses, anti-pyretic and purifies urine.
- It alleviates kapha and pitta.
The seeds are scraping, purgatory and anthelmintic, blood purifier and anti-toxic in nature. The gum cures acidity and has binding properties.
Types of Tesu plant:
There are two species of Tesu, based on the color of the flowers; Orange and Red.
Nomenclature of Palash plant:
English name– Jungle Flame
Hindi name– Dhak, Tesu
Sanskrit name– Raktapushpak, Kinshuk, Yagik
Bengali name– Palash
Gujarati name– Khakharo
Family name– Fabaceae
Scientific name– Butea monosperma
Now, let us see the health/medicinal benefits of palash plant. Till now, you must be knowing it as ‘holi flower’, or casual flower. Get ready to change your view. Have a look at tesu flower!
15 Medicinal benefits of Tesu plant:
1. Treatment for Eye disorders-
- Put a drop of the extract of its fresh root, regularly in eyes.
- It cures all kinds of eye disorders.
- It also controls cataract, night blindness and similar types of eye problem.
2. Stops Nasal bleeding-
- Soak its 5-7 flowers in water, overnight.
- Next morning, strain the solution and add a little amount of sugar in it.
- Give it to the patient.
- It stops nasal bleeding.
3. As an Appetizer-
- Give 4-5 drops of extract of its fresh roots, with the leaf of nut-grass.
- It increases the appetite.
4. For Contraception-
- Burn its seeds and add half amount of asfoetida in it.
- Grind them together to form a powder.
- Give 2-3 gm of this powder immediately at the start of the mentrual cycle, and continue for a few days after that.
- It destroys the conceiving ability of a woman.
5. Treats Flatulence-
- Give 3-40 ml decoction of its bark and dry ginger powder twice a day.
- It cures swelling of the stomach, caused by indigestion or accumulation of wind.
6. Aids in Piles-
- Take 10-20 gm ash of its whole plant and give this to the patient with warm ghee.
- It is beneficial in bleeding piles.
- Take its fresh leaves and smear them with ghee.
- Give this to the patient with cream of curd.
7. Cures Diarrhoea-
- Take 625 mg to 2 gm of its gum and mix a little amount of cinnamon and very little poppy in it.
- Give this to the patient.
- It is an instant and immediate cure for diarrhea.
- Or, give 1 teaspoon decoction of its seeds with teaspoon goat milk, after meals thrice a day.
- It is beneficial in diarrhea.
- During the treatment, only goat’s milk and rice should be eaten.
8. Gives relief in Joint pain-
- Apply the paste of its seed with honey on the painful area.
- It gives relief in Joint pain.
9. Treats wound fast-
- Sprinkle the powder of its gum on the wound.
- It gives faster relief.
10. Cures Urinary disorders-
- Pluck its closed buds and shade them dry.
- Grind and strain them, then add jaggery to it.
- Give 9 gm of this mixture to the patient every morning.
- It cures all sort of urinary disorders.
11. Arrests Aging-
- Give 1 teaspoon powder of its shade dried whole plant with ghee and honey mixed in it.
- Give this twice a day.
- It makes the person healthy, free from any diseases and disorders.
- It also arrests aging.
12. Good for Eczema-
- Grind its seeds with lemon juice and apply on the affected area.
- It is beneficial for curing eczema and itching.
13. Ends pregnancy with a healthy child-
- Grind its soft, fresh leaves in cow’s milk.
- Give 2 teaspoons of this along with cow’s milk to the pregnant woman.
- It results in the birth of a healthy child.
14. Treats Nodular boil-
- Tie the poultice of its leaves on the tumor.
- Give 3-5 gm of the inner bark of its root with milk to the patient.
15. Enhances the Sexual vigor-
- Give 5-6 drops of the extract of its root, twice a day.
- It stops the involuntary flow of semen and also enhances the sexual vigor.
- Use 2-4 drops of its seed oil to massage the organs.
- Within a few days, it cures impotency and promotes sexual vigor.
The myth about Palash plant:
Many people have several misconceptions about the plant too, please don’t go with them.
- It is said if the bird of palash plant, looks you then you will be paralysed. Isn’t it a funny thing;)
- Many people even says that if you will rub the flower on the skin, then it will make your skin itchy and patchy even.
In this way, we saw the health benefits of Tesu plant. If you too suffer from any of the problems listed above, then please give this herb a try.
Share your experience with us and also share the article to all the social medias. Take care and live well!