What is the remedy you prefer during a cough and cold? 9 out of 10 will say, cough syrups, antibiotics, and other medicines. Let us go natural! Today we will be sharing a very effective decoction for a cough and cold which is good for all, kids as well as adults.
Every one of us suffers from seasonal issues in some part of life, for the treatment, most of us rely upon allopathic medicines.
Why people prefer allopathic medicines?
- Those are instant working and shows the result in just one dose.
- Easily available and prescribed by doctors and physicians.
- Because all are using the same.
- Labeled as ‘Suited for all’, ‘pediatric medicine’ and all that.
How can such medicines be harmful?
Now a question comes; If doctors are suggesting and it is labeled as ‘mild’ then how can it be harmful to use? Such medicines are made of chemicals and other substances which can’t be said fully natural.
Using those once in a while can be okay, but if you are using it often then it can be problematic in future. Especially for small kids, we should not make them used to of medications. Instead, we should use some herbal treatments and homemade remedies.
Today we will be telling you about a decoction which is good for all, even for very bad and cold coughs. This you can easily prepare at home and is fully safe.
Ingredients required for the decoction:
- A handful of Basil or Tulsi leaves (better tender)
- black peppercorns
- 2-inch ginger root
- 3 teaspoon of honey
- 3-4 cloves
- Water as per usage
Now let see how to prepare this.
Preparation of Herbal decoction:
- Take a mortar and pestle and crush all the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Using a few drops of water, sieve all the liquid out of the crushed paste.
- Now in a small boiling pan, put the liquid and heat it for a minute.
- Keep in mind, we just have to heat it not to make it boiling.
- Turn off the flame and let it get warmer.
- Add honey and give it a good mix.
- Your herbal decoction is ready to use.
How to use the prepared decoction?
- For kids below 3, give 3-5 ml twice a day and for adults, you can double the dose.
- In case of very old cough and older ones, use this regularly till it is cured. They should also avoid cold natured things such as cucumber, gourds, banana, rice and other things.
- While using, heat it a bit and give to the patient. You can also prepare it in a large amount and store in a glass jar and refrigerate it.
- For kids, you may also add some more honey, especially for dry coughs.
How does the herbal decoction works?
- All the ingredients present are anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial in nature.
- These help to relieve a sore throat, cough, cold and fever even. In monsoon and changing weathers, it can be taken by healthy ones too once in 15 days.
- It enhances the immunity thus lowering the chances of diseases.
- For kids, we should opt for this instead of cough syrups.
If you too are suffering from such seasonal maladies, then this remedy is best suited for you. Share the post with all your friends. Do not forget to share your comments with us. Take care and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.