Hey all, today our post is on newborn care section which is; Cradle cap! It’s not actually a cap or hat! Its a kind of skin issue that most of the infant’s face. We will be telling you some of the home remedies for this.
Due to the adhered environment, fluctuating temperature and other factors; infants and children suffer from a dermal issue called ‘Cradle cap’. Medically it is also known as Infantile seborrheic dermatitis.
What is Cradle cap?
Cradle cap is a common skin problem found among babies. It is mostly found among newborns but can exist among the kids till 3 years of age. However, this is not associated with any kind of illness, deficiency or disease.
- Greasy patches on the skin layer
- Reddish and irritation in skin
- White crust on the scalp
- Flakes on the scalp
- Dryness on the head
What causes Cradle cap?
However, there is no exact known cause of the cradle cap. But according to the studies, cradle cap can be caused due to hormonal change in mother’s body which is transferred to the baby, yeast growth in the digestive tract, environmental conditions etc.
Is Cradle cap contagious and should we worry about it?
The answer to both the question is; NO. Cradle cap is neither contagious nor you should worry about it.
It’s just a simple issue which most of the babies face in the first days of lives. If your baby too has developed a thing like such, then you should read the home remedies given below.
Home Remedies for Cradle cap:
It’s not good to go for any medication for small babies. Although, it is not a major issue so you should better try for some home remedies.
1. Cleaning of the scalp-
- Soak baby’s scalp in warm water, then apply mild shampoo on it.
- Leave it for a minute then using a soft brush, clean the scalp.
- Use warm water to rinse the scalp and pat with a soft towel.
- Repeat this twice a week, this will clean the flakes gently and easily.
2. Masoor dal pack-
- Take 2 tablespoons of masoor dal (red lentil) and soak it in double amount of water for 2 hours.
- Grind it to form a smooth granular paste.
- Now take the paste on your fingers and apply on the baby’s scalp.
- Gently rub like the scrub and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this twice a week and you will notice that the cradle cap is gone.
3. Olive oil massage-
- Take a few drops of olive oil on your palms and rub on the baby’s scalp.
- Give a massage so that oil penetrates deep into the skin.
- After the massage, rinse the baby’s scalp with warm water using a soft bristle baby brush to clean the flakes.
- The flakes will come out easily and without any extra work.
So these were the three easy and effective remedies for Cradle cap. This is not any disease, not any sign that your baby is deficient to something.
Hope you found the post useful. Share this to all, especially those who have newborn babies and infants. Share your comments with us. Stay well!