Pulses (Lentil) are the major crops grown all over the world. Today we will be talking about one of the highly used pulse, called Pigeon pea. We will also be discussing its health benefits and other description.
The Pigeon pea is one of the important pulses in India. It is highly nutritious and easily digestible, thus good for all.
Appearance of pigeon pea:
It is a woody, short-lived perennial shrub which grows approximately 1 to 4 meters tall. It is sometimes grown as an annual herb. It has deep tap root with hairy stems.
It also bears spirally arranged leaves. The fruit is a flattened pod, which vary in shape, size and color. They are usually round, oval, greyish, red or white in texture; speckled with a small white hillium.
Also Read : 8 Health benefits of Indian Sorrel (Changeri) Herb
Where it is found and cultivated?
This very lentil, is a native of tropical Africa, where it is sometimes found wild or naturalized. Pigeon pea is widely cultivated all across India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippens, The Carribean, East and West Africa.
How it is used?
- The fresh leaves of lentil, is used and cooked as a vegetable.
- The immature pods too are cooked.
- Dried seeds are used with soups and stews.
- The ripe dry seeds are boiled and eaten as pulse.
- The dried husks, seeds and broken lentil are used as cattle feed in India.
Nutritional elements in Lentil; Pigeon pea:
- In the mineral category, it is enriched with Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron and small amounts of Vitamin B complex.
- Its calorific value is 335 per 100 gms of the edible portion.
Now, we shall be discussing about the Health benefits of Pigeon pea. Here are five medicinal/health uses, which makes it a superfood.
Health benefits of Pigeon pea:
1. Treats Hair baldness-
The ripe pulses of pigeon pea, is very useful remedy to fill and treat bald patches. You just need to make a fine paste of this pulse, and apply on the bald patches and scalp.
Applying this twice a month, helps to treat hair baldness effectively.
2. Aids in Jaundice-
The leaves of pigeon pea works very well in disease like Jaundice. Make the juice of its leaves and give with a little amount of salt mixed in it. Take 600 ml of this juice, on a daily basis. It treats the condition.
3. Cure for Piles-
Make a fine paste of leaves of pigeon pea plant, mixed with a teaspoonful of neem leaves paste. Apply this on the wounds, it is highly beneficial in the treatment of piles and itching.
It should also be used to drink daily for a week.
4. Reduce Swelling-
The leaves of pigeon pea is anti-inflammatory in nature, thus a very good cure for any kind of swelling and inflammation. You can directly apply the leaves paste, on the inflammed area.
One can also prepare a poultice, of its seeds and tie on the swelled area.
5. Increases Lactation-
Pigeon pea is increases milk production in lactating woman. A lactating mother, must include this pulse in her daily diet. The pulse and leaves, ground into a paste, warmed and applied on the breasts is also very beneficial to increase lactation.
Who should not eat Pigeon pea:
However, excessive use of pigeon pea causes hyper-acidity and wind in the intestines. Thus it is not suitable for those having problems of gastric ulcers and heart diseases.
These were the health benefits of Pigeon pea lentil. This is really a very nutritious thing, that has lots of advantages in it. Hope you like the article, share it to all and do share your experiences with us. Take care and live well!
Read More :
- How to Reverse Diabetes Naturally-Home Remedies for Diabetes
- 4 Refreshing Diabetic Drinks to quench Thirst and Dryness
- Health Benefits of Downward Facing Dog pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana) to strengthen whole body
- 6 Everyday Foods That Boost the Immune System
- Why one should swallow tulsi leaves instead of chewing
- Berries for Your Health – Add a Little More Fruit to Your Diet
- Butterfly pea: A flower plant towards immortality!
- Natural Remedies For Anxiety (Herbal)
- Best Exercises For Arthritic Knees
- Things to know about Contagious Disease- Chicken Pox
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.