Table of Contents
Breath is the link between body and mind. If you breathe well, you will leave long on the earth. It is painful if one has to face the breathing difficulties. Asthma – one of respiratory health complication which is linked to difficulty in breathing along with inflammation, swelling and narrowing of airways, chest congestion, coughing and wheezing. Asthmatic patients are always in a search that how to get rid of from this problem. There are several factors which aggravate asthma-like dust mite, mold, pollen and air pollutants such as smoke, common cold, some foods and certain medications. Though there is no permanent cure for this disease but by avoiding the irritants and using these Wonderful Top 10 Herbs for Treating Asthma
How the use of herbs is effective for treating asthma in Ayurveda?
Asthma is called as shwas rog in Ayurveda. It is due to the accumulation of aggravated kapha dosha in airways which restricts the flow of air in lungs and results in shortness of breath. Causative agents may include living in a moist and cold atmosphere, consumption of foods which are not easily digestible and mucus formation result in blockage of respiratory channel. To manage this respiratory complication, various lifesaving herbs are in the lap of Mother Nature. These herbs herb help in the removal of accumulated kapha dosha from airways and ease the breathing. Moreover, along with management of asthma, these herbs don’t result in any side effects.
Mulethi or Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- This herb aids to boost up the immune system and plays a vital role to treat asthma and various allergic reactions in the body. Mulethi acts as the wonderful calmative and it has the soothing effects on the throat as well as pharynx. Hence the use of this herb is quite good in alleviating the symptoms of asthma. Drinking the 1-2 cups of mulethi tea or taking half teaspoon of powder of it with honey twice daily is good for asthma.
Lasuna or Garlic (Allium sativum)
- This herb is also used in various Indian dishes and also offers the good health benefits. Anti-inflammatory properties of garlic provide relief in symptoms associated with asthma-like congestion in lungs, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing etc. This herb supports the good health of immune system. Consuming two-three cloves every day are quite good to reduce the chances of asthma.
Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- It is commonly called as ginger, an effective herb for asthma. It contains the phytochemical compounds like Zingerones, shogaols, and gingerols which have the antioxidant properties. These properties are very useful in the treatment of asthma. Making the ginger tea by boiling, one teaspoon of ginger powder in one cup of water helps to clear the airways.
Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- To resolve the respiratory problem, this herb is very fruitful. It is an effective natural remedy for asthma. It helps to provide relief in the symptoms associated with asthma-like narrowing of airways, chest congestion, shortness of breath etc.
Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Haridra commonly called as haldi and turmeric. It is one of most staple spice available in Indian kitchens. This herb is loaded with the lots of therapeutic properties and for asthma it works like a wonder. It contains a phytochemical compound which helps in managing the levels of antibody IgG and reduce hypersensitivity. This herb is also very effective to relieve the bronchial congestion. Consumption of the one teaspoon of haridra along with half teaspoon of honey on daily basis is very fruitful in bronchial congestion. On the other hand, application of a paste of haridra mixed with ghee and black pepper on chest and throat is also quite good for bronchi irritation.
Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Neem is an effective asthma natural remedy. Neem has the great medicinal importance in ayurveda from the ancient time. All the plant parts like leaves, flowers, roots, seeds are used to cure various ailments. Use of this herb has been proven very effective in asthma. Therapeutic properties of neem very useful for providing the relief in the shortness of breath, chest congestion, coughing, wheezing etc.
Anantmool (Tylophora asthmatica)
- Use of this herb is known to be very useful in managing the symptoms of asthma. It provides the relief in the shortness of breath by the increasing the efficacy of lungs for oxygen intake. Chewing the leaves of this herb every day is quite to calm down the symptoms of asthma.
Vasaka ( Adhatoda vasica)
- This herb helps to treat the severe cases of asthma. It supports the good bronchial functions and also increases the intake of oxygen for the proper functioning of lungs. Consuming the decoction of leaves of this herb is good to alleviate the symptoms of asthma.
Jufa ( Hyssopus officinalis)
- Anti-inflammatory properties of this herb help to improve the functions of lung tissues. Hence to treat asthma it is an amazing herbal remedy. This herb is found to be very effective against respiratory complications like bronchitis, phlegm, and lungs issues.
Ginkgo (Gingko biloba)
- Use of this herb is quite effective in the treatment of asthmatic attacks caused by the allergens. It reduces the hypersensitivity problems associated with asthma. Moreover, anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties of this plant are very useful to treat asthma.