Asthma is a long term lung disorder or respiratory disorder where the bronchial tubes are always inflamed and narrowed. The airways that allow the air to come in and out of the lungs get swollen or sensitive and the muscles around them gets tightened leading to symptoms of asthma. These airways often produce more mucus which further narrows the tubes . This disorder can be fully managed if proper treatment is followed.
Asthma is known to be caused due to combination of environmental and genetic factors.
There are different forms of Asthma:
- Asthma that gets triggered by exercising is termed as Exercise Induced Bronchoconstriction or EIB or Exercise Induced Asthma or EIA. This condition gets worse if the air is cold and dry while doing physical activity.
- Asthma that gets triggered due to any allergy is called Allergic Asthma or Allergy induced asthma. Allergy may be due to airborne substances like pollens , mold spores , dust mites and even from particles of skin and dried saliva shed by pets or animal fur.
- Asthma that gets triggered due to inhaling chemical fumes or gases or dust particles or any other harmful substances while being in work environment is called Occupational Asthma . These occupations are mainly farming, hair dressing and manufacturing.
Asthma occurring in children before the age of five is called Childhood Asthma.
- Certain medications, stress , sulfites and preservatives in food may also trigger Asthma. One common cause of Asthma is GERD or Gastroesophageal reflux disease or acid reflux.
- Being an active or a passive smoker , being overweight puts one at a higher risk of getting asthma.
According to Ayurveda
- Asthma is caused due to accumulation of Kapha in the airways or tubes. The blockage leads to interruption in flow of air to the lungs ,thereby causing difficulty in breathing. It is believed to be caused due to excessive intake of cold (vatta) , or kapha aggravating foods etc. So living in cold, damp environment and eating cold or stale food that isn’t easily digestible leads to asthma.
Symptoms of Asthma:
- The symptoms of asthma can be either mild and go away easily with basic treatment , but at times, they are intense and appears like an asthma attack or flareups . These are called Exacerbations. These might require emergency care.
Most common symptoms of Asthma are
- Reoccurring wheezing or whistling sound while breathing (mostly while exhaling)
- Chest tightness as if something is squeezing or sitting on the chest.
- Shortness of breath or feeling out of breath easily . The breathing becomes very fast.
- Coughing mostly early morning or at night . The coughing gets worsened if there is cold or flu.
- Some may experience runny nose , sinus infections , stiffness of neck and head along with the above mentioned symptoms. Some may feel excessive thirst , dry mouth, have difficulty in speaking , sweating , moodiness , difficulty in hearing and weakness
- All these symptoms eventually leads to disturbance in sleep patterns or trouble getting to sleep.
Diagnoses of Asthma:
- The doctor may diagnose asthma by taking complete medical history and family history of the patient , along with physical exam and tests like lung function test, allergy tests bronchoprovocation tests , a chest xray or an EKG.
- According to Ayurveda, the root cause of asthma is poor digestion or poor elimination of wastes from the body so the treatment is focused on improving the digestion with healthy diet and lifestyle . The medicines are recommended to pacify kapha , detoxify the body and boost one’s immunity.
- For treatment, one needs to identify and avoid allergens that triggers the symptoms . A patient might be recommended to undergo oleation therapy or oil treatment , laxative therapy using castor oil , therapeutic vomiting procedure.
Planet Ayurveda offers an effective treatment to control asthma using it ASTHMA CARE PACK. This pack includes :
- These capsules are made with pure extract of best quality of Tulsi herb which is also known as Queen of herbs .This plant is very sacred . Tulsi or holy basil has components like camphene, eugenol and cineole that provide relief from congestion and helps to breathe better. It has infection fighting properties. Tulsi is considered to anti congestive and thus helps in reducing the build up and tension due to sinus issues.
Praan Rakshak Churana:
- This formulation in the powdered form is blend of six ingredients such as Shirisha, vasa, anantmool, dalchini , bharangi and madhuyashti . The combination provides excellent treatment for asthma and allergies . It is useful for relieving coughs, colds and bronchitis. It works as antibacterial, antibiotic, anti inflammatory and antiseptic thus capable of relieving all respiratory and throat related infections.
- This herbal formulation is very suitable for chronic rhinitis, asthma, hay fever and other allergies. These capsules are 100% pure with standardized extracts of haridra, neem ,ashwagandha and Shirish . These herbs work together to control acute and chronic allergies.
- The processing and packaging of all planet Ayurveda products is done using most advanced technologies, with minimal human intervention, in extremely clean environment.
- Alkaline diet is highly recommended in this disorder. Diet rich in essential fatty acids particularly omega -3 oils , foods rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C are advised.
- Green leafy vegetables , fresh fruits and herbs are very useful . The most important remedy is onion as it contains quercetin which is anti inflammatory compound.
- One should take ginger and black pepper in diet
- Patients are advised to avoid sour , spicy , pungent food , deep friend and processed foods that contain preservatives. They need to avoid curd, rice and cheese . One needs to avoid wine , beer and cider as they provoke asthma attack.
- The patients need to stay away from allergen foods like meat, eggs and fish.
- One needs to drink warm water and even bathe with lukewarm water. The patient is advised to eat light food, eat less , eat slowing and chewing the food properly.
Home Remedies to Treat Asthma:
- One may try taking fresh wheat grass juice daily as it provides vitamin A, B and E. Lemon juice and juice of carrots and spinach are also good natural remedies.
- Warm boiled milk with garlic is very beneficial.
- Boiling basil leaves with some turmeric in water can be taken daily.
- Yoga and pranayama are beneficial for asthma patients.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM