Table of Contents
Hi All, today we are going to see top 12 health benefits of long pepper.
Long pepper also called ‘Indian long pepper’ is a flowering vine. It is a fragrant plant which has soft stem that climbs on other plants or spread on ground.
Its branches are thin and hairy. It bears dark green colour leaves which are soft, smooth, glossy, 2-4 inch long and 1-2 inch wide and heart-shaped leaves. It looks similar as the pan leaves. They are alternatively arranged and has pointed tips.
The leaves have very prominent veins. It bears flowers which are unisex; consisting of both male and female flowers. As other peppers, the plant bears berries which are long and shapes like elephant trunk. It has same size as a match stick.
When unripe the fruit is green and turns light red when ripe and dark dusty when dried. The fruits are also called ‘pippali‘.
Grows in warm and temperate areas of India. The buds of very plant is usable which is considered as one of the important spices
Nutrients in Long pepper
Aso called Indian long pepper contains a volatile, fragrant oil; piplatin, sesenin and pipla-sterol. The whole plant is usable especially its berries and the roots. The root contains piperin, steroids, glucosides, pipelartin and piperlonguminin. It is bitter, hot and warm in nature. Long pepper has multi use; some of them are listed below.
Uses of Long pepper
- Mostly used in the cooking of non-vegetarian items like Biryanis, kababs and many others.
- Widely used to prepare vegetable pickles.
- It is widely used in Malaysian and Indonesian cuisines.
Now, we will be talking about the health benefits. Since from a long time, it has been used as a traditional medicine. It has the higher potency to cure many types of diseases. Due to its warm and hot nature, it has the capacity to cure diseases. so, lets move towards the health benefits.
12 Health benefits of Long pepper
1. For Insomnia
Insomnia, also called sleeplessness; is a disease in which the person becomes unable to sleep or rest properly.
- Grind 1-3 gm powder of root with sugar.
- You can also use double amount of jaggery indeed. Give this mixture twice a day.
- It cures digestion related disorders and results in sound sleep.
- This process is commonly administered in aged persons.
Nomenclature of Long Pepper
English name of lamba kaagaj ?
Hindi name of Long pepper ?
Sanskrit name of lamba kaagaj or Long pepper ?
Pippali, Vaidehi, Magadhi and Krishna
Kingdom of lamba kaagaj or Long pepper ?
Family name of lamba kaagaj ?
Botanical name of lamba kaagaj ?
Side-effects of Long pepper
so, you have seen benefits of Long pepper , yet it accompanies certain side-effects with it; some of them are listed below;
- Pregnant and lactating omen should consume long pepper in limited quantities; as over intake can be harmful due to its hot nature.
- It should be medicated under a medical supervisor as it can even lead to skin rashes and other allergies.
- It may also cause intestinal inflammation and raise in body temperature.
So, in this way we saw the multiple benefits and uses. It seems to be a simple spice but is far more than that. It is a highly beneficial ingredient used since from immemorial times. So, add these useful things in your diet and stay well. Take care and live well!
Read More :
- 12 Health benefits of King of Fruits- Mango
- 10 Medicinal benefits of AkarkaraHerb
- 12 Medicinal benefits of Acacia Tree or Babool Tree
- 8 Health benefits of Indian Sorrel (Changeri) Herb
- Top 5 Kitchen ingredients for a Healthy living
- Top 7 Home Remedies to Boost your Immunity
- 10 Health benefits of Drumstick plant
- Asthma Treatment – Top 7 Home Remedies for Asthma