Fruits are regarded as one of the integral part of human’s diet. These are one of the oldest forms of food known to man. In fact, Adam, the first man ate an apple; ‘the forbidden fruit’ of heaven. Fruits are the excellent sources of minerals, vitamins and enzymes. They are easily digested and excise a cleansing effect on blood. Each and every fruits are enriched with their own kinds of nutrients; they have many properties like-
- Hydrating effects
- Diuretic effects
- Alkalising effects
- Mineralising effects
- Laxative effects
- Tonic action
- Curative properties and many more.
Here, we will be talking about a fruit which resembles a stick or cane; it has a sugary taste so it is named as ‘Sugar Cane’. Sugar or Jaggery is produced by this fruit only.
Sugar Cane is one of the important crops of India. It is one of the species of tall perennial true grasses. It is native to warm temperature too tropical regions of South Asia. The stems grow into cane stalk; sugar cane is a cash crop but is also used as a livestock fodder. It is found in many varieties- red, white, black, mnogupta, pondrak etc. It grows 6-12 ft tall; round with strong knots. The leaves are flat;long and wide. The flower grow in bunches that have many branches. Plant flowers in rainy season and fruit comes in winter.
- Kingdom- Plantae
- Family- Poaceae
- Binomial name- Saccharum officinarum
- Hindi name- Ekh, ganna
- Sanskrit name- Ekshu, Deerghachada, Asipatra etc.
Nutrients in Sugar Cane:-
As every fruit has some nutritive elements in it; same is there in Sugar Cane. Have a look on following-
- Dietary fibres
- Guanine and many more.
Uses of Sugar Cane:-
- Sugar Cane is used to extract juice from it; which is liked all over the world. Sugar Cane juice is highly beneficial and healthy too.
- Sugar Cane is processed to produce sugars and jaggery too.
- The extracted residue is used to produce papers, cardboards etc.
- It is also used as a raw material for production of chemicals.
- It acts as a fuel for boilers and kilns.
Medicinal Benefits of Sugar Cane:-
Now, lets move to one of the most important part of our topic; it is medicinal benefits of Sugar Cane. Have a look on the following-
1. For Indigestion:-
In case you are suffering from indigestion or heartburnings, then-
- Cook the sugar cane juice on fire.
- When it starts boiling turn off the flame and store it in a glass bottle.
- Give this to the patient after a week.
- It is an excellent digestive medicine which also cures throat problems.
2. For Jaundice:-
- Keep a piece of sugar cane outside the house in open overnight so it gets covered with dew.
- Next morning, after brushing teeth; suck the sugar cane.
- It will show result within 4 days.
3. For Typhoid Fever:-
- Take 1 part of vinegar and 3 parts of sugar cane juice.
- Apply this mixture on the whole body.
- It cures reddish spots on body and also cures fever.
4. For Hiccoughs:-
Hiccough is casual when it appears rarely; but if you are noticing it always then it can be the sign of danger, to cure it-
- Take 10 gm jaggery in water and grind a small amount of ginger root to it.
- Put a few drops of this solution in the nose.
- It cures hiccoughs and headache.
5. For Dyspepsia:-
- Mix cumin seeds with jaggery and give this to the patient.
- It enhances digestive power and is helpful for gastric problems.
6. For Renal colic:-
- Take 11 gm jaggery and 500 mg roasted gram.
- Mix them and prepare two tablets.
- Give 1 tablet with warm water.
- If the pain persists, give the second tablet also.
7. For Bronchial Asthma:-
- Take 3-6 gm jaggery and mix it with equal quantities of mustard oil.
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
- It cures bronchial asthma with a great ease.
8. For Headache:-
- Take 10 gm jaggery and 6 gm sesame seeds.
- Grind them and mix with milk and 6 gm of ghee.
- Warm it and give it to the patient.
9. For Insect bite:-
In any case of insect bite-
- Burn the jaggery and apply on the affected part. It will fled away pain and will also deactivate the poison content.
10. For Goitre:-
- Give 2-4 gm Harad powder to be orally taken with fresh sugar cane juice. It cures goitre.
11. For Tubercular cough:-
- Cook 1 litre fresh sugar cane juice with 250 gm ghee.
- Cook till only ghee is left.
- Give 10 gm of ghee to the patient twice a day.
12. For Increasing lactation:-
- Grind 5-10 roots of sugar cane and give this to the patient along with kanji.
- It enhances the milk production.
13. For Acute Rhinitis:-
- Take 10 gm jaggery, 40 gm curd, 3 gm chilli powder.
- Mix them all and give this to the patient every morning for 3 days.
- It cures dry cough, throat infection, sore throat, bronchial asthma and cold.
General medications using Sugar cane:-
- Give old jaggery with ginger. It cures cough.
- Food made of jaggery strengthens the heart.
- Mix sugar in water and apply this solution as eyeliner in eyes. It cleanses the eyes.
- Old jaggery is beneficial in easy delivery and cures all delivery related disorders.
- Take sugar cane juice before. It cures pitta.
- Give sugar cane juice with honey mixed in it. It cures burning sensation due to pitta.
- Mix sugar and ghee in milk and give to the patient suffering from high fever. It is an excellent remedy.
- Give barley sattu with fresh sugar cane juice. It cures Jaundice.
- Consuming fresh sugar cane juice with meals cause stiffness in the body.
- Give sugar cane juice with amla juice and honey mixed in it. It cures Dysuria.
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.