Table of Contents
Many of us simply consider Henna plant as a cosmetic tree which is used for colouring purposes. But guys, after going through this article you will find yourselves disillusioned and amazed. You will find some highly beneficial tips from Henna itself.
Henna leaves or Mehendi leaves are commonly used as colouring agents and its evergreen bushes are grown in houses as the boundary hedge. You can even found it in gardens, parks or backyards itself. It is very popular and commonly used in cosmetics.
Its leaves are dried and grinded to form fine powder. It is also used in wedding occasions to colour hands and legs. It is also used in many forms; this powder is sold in markets in attractive packs.
Appearance and Chemical composition:-
It is a kind of Large shrub or small tree. The leaves are leafy green in colour which are long, spear-shaped and oval. It also bears flowers which are white in colour and grow in pyramid-shaped stalks. It also bears fruits which are like pots; round and contain small slippery seeds.
The leaves contain tannin and vason which is an important colouring agent. In addition, it contains gallic acid, glucose, mannitol, mucilage and alkaloids. Leaves are extracted and produces brown coloured, fragrant oil.
- Kingdom- Plantae
- Family- Lythraceae
- Binomial name- Lawsonia inermis
- Hindi name- Mehendi
- Sanskrit name– Rakt, Ranga, Ranjika, Madyantika etc.
Medicinal Benefits of Henna ‘Mehendi’:-
Now, we will proceed to our most important topic to discuss. It is the healing properties of Henna. As discussed, only few of us knows that Henna is multi-purpose and enriched with medicinal properties. Here, we will be describing 10 medicinal properties of Henna-
1. For Mental Disorders:-
- Give 3 gm seeds of Henna with honey to the patient.
- Or, give the decoction of its flowers to the patient.
- After that give chappatis made of wheat flour with sugar and purified form of butter.
- It directly affects your CNS and cures giddiness.
2. For Jaundice:-
- Soak 5 gm henna leaves in an earthen pot over night.
- Next day morning strain the solution and give this to the patient.
- Within 1 week, it cures Jaundice.
3. For Dermatoses:-
- Give 1/2 teaspoon of juice of its leaves and flowers.
- Give it twice a day for 7 days.
- It is beneficial in curing dermatoses.
- Boil 100 gm of its bark in 200 ml of water till water is reduced to 1/4th.
- Give this decoction to the patient twice a day.
- Soak its 75 gm of leaves in water overnight.
- Next morning, crush the leaves and strain the solution.
- Give the strained solution to the patient.
- It cures Dermatoses and other incurable diseases.
4. For Pain due to Fever:-
- Boil is 10 gm leaves in 200 gm water.
- Then prepare its hot infusion and give this-to the patient.
- It helps cure the internal burning sensation due to fever, reduces headache and gives strength to the heart and also promotes sleep.
5. For Chicken pox-
- Grind its leaves and apply the paste on the lower side of the foot.
- It reduces the impact of Chicken pox in eyes.
6. For Calculus:-
- Boil 10 gm henna bark in an earthen pot.
- Next day morning, strain the solution and give it to the patient.
- It releases the stone in kidney.
- Soak henna leaves and wood in a glass of water for overnight.
- Next morning, decant the solution.
- Give 2 gm Yavakshar to the patient with this.
- Repeat this treatment for a few days.
- It dissolves the stones which then gets released through urine.
7. For Dysuria:-
- Prepare 50 gm cold infusion of Henna and add 1 gm of kalmishora in it.
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
8. For Bleeding Diarrhoea:-
- Grind its seeds and mix the paste with ghee and prepare berry shaped tablets.
- Give these tablets to the patient twice day with water.
9. For Knee pain:-
- Grind equal quantities of its leaves along with the leaves of castor oil-plant.
- Slightly warm the paste and apply on the knees.
- It gives relief from pain in few uses.
10. For Redness of eyes:-
- Take 10 gm henna and cumin seeds.
- Grind them coarse and soak them in rose water for overnight.
- Next day morning, strain the solution and store it in a glass bottle.
- Mix 1 gm roasted and powdered alum in it.
- Put drops of this solution in eyes when required.
- It cures redness of eyes.
- Prepare poultice of its leaves and then warm it in milk and tie on the eyes.
- It cures paining and burning sensation in eyes.
So, in this way we saw ten benefits of Henna; there are many more like it cures acne, boils, burns, eye disorders, syncope and many more. You must be amazed by these; as how can a colouring plant so useful!
This is only called the magic of nature. Nature has hidden many unexplained benefits in it; just go with it and live in harmony. Take care and live well!