Diphtheria is a deadly infection, which has affected folks of Kerala, India. It is the very fresh news everywhere. Many of us recognize the disease as the simpler one, but it is not so simple as we think. Let us learn about the disease and also find out its herbal/home remedies.
What is Diphtheria infection?
The term Diphtheria is derived from a Greek word, meaning leather. It refers to a severe infection which affects the upper respiratory passage. It resembles same as tonsilitis and is highly contagious. It is essentially a disease of children and occurs very rarely in adult life.
What causes the disease?
It is a bacterial infection, caused by Corynebacterium diphtheria, which spreads through contact with persons or objects that have the bacteria on it. It multiplies in the throat or nose. The disease generally occurs in the cool season, but can also occur at any time. The incubation period is usually from four to six days.
However, no person can catch this disease if he does not have the basis for its propagation in the system. Wrong living habits, toxins, wrong feeding etc all contribute to the disease.
Sign and Symptoms:
- Fever ranging from 101° to 104° F
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Soreness of the throat
- The patient may also feel weak and depressed
- Appearance of white membrane over one or both the tonsils, it may be gray, brownish or red inflammation
- Feeling of anaemic and pale body
In the process of diagnosis, the appearance of the throat, where white membrane develops and constricts the airways, is checked. A lab test too is done to confirm the diagnosis.
Complications related to Diphtheria:
- Children with large tonsils and adenoids are more susceptible to diphtheria, especially if they have not given the DPT vaccine in infancy.
- If there arise the blockages in the windpipe, it can also cause suffocation and later on heart disease, brain and kidney ailments too.
- In many cases, heart failure to occur due to weakened muscle fibers which are unable to contract as they should.
Treatment for Diphtheria:
The use of anti-toxins for the treatment may sometimes prove apparently successful. The real treat, however, varies with all other fevers. The patient is first given injections against the toxins, released by bacteria in the body. Later on, the antibiotics are administered for the further recovery.
Now we shall be talking about the herbal remedies for diphtheria infection.
Herbal Remedies for Diphtheria infection:
- Garlic (lahsoon) is a very effective home remedy for diphtheria. The constant chewing reduces the membranes and also lowers the fever.
- The juice of fresh pineapple is a valuable remedy for such infectious diseases. It also helps to remove the throat deposits and will make the patient feel better.
- At a regular interval, infused water with tulsi leaves should be given. It does very well for such respiratory infections.
- A warm-water enema should be given to cleanse the bowels, as it does good to the infection.
- The patient with diphtheria should be kept in bed and isolated from others for four to six weeks.
- The diet should include whole grain cereals, fresh fruits, raw or lightly cooked vegetables etc.
In the prevention mode, vaccination is the best option. The first dose should be given at six months of age and booster doses are given at regular intervals.
Current news about Diphtheria:
In Kerala’s Malappuram, the disease outbreak is recently noticed. A student of Std. 9 died just after few hours of affected by the disease. In Thiruvananthapuram, two teenagers died and more than 20 are still suspected of the disease. In other places of Kerala, there is still a scaring shadow of infection affecting lives.
In this way, we saw the description of the Diphtheria infection. Hope you like the post, share it to all and do share your experiences with us. Take care and live well!
Read More :
- What is Diabetes and Diabetes in Ayurveda
- Leucorrhoea Natural Remedies, Causes and Diet for Vaginal Whitish Discharge Treatment
- Treat anal fistula with the effective herbal remedies
- Best Practices for Healthy and Hygienic Feet
- 5 Medicinal benefits of Sheesham tree you must know about
- Try these 10 throat exercises to stop snoring
- Asthma Treatment – Top 7 Home Remedies for Asthma
- Natural Ayurvedic Herbs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- 7 Reasons Telemedicine created a stronger bridge between Stressed patients and their doctors
- 4 Amazing Herbal Remedies for Weight Loss-Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine
- Cracking your neck can be bad for health, here’s the reason why!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.