Table of Contents
Think about our beautiful world without colours? Trees, river, sky, mountains all are colourless! An image of still life with fade texture will appear in your mind. No one will like to stay without colours. Colours form the base of our lives. Every colour says something and has its own benefits. For health too, colours are vital. Nature has gifted our colourful fruits and vegetables. They not only look attractive but has immense benefits.
Fruits and vegetables are regarded as one of the prominent and the healthiest kind of foodstuffs. They are rich in enzymes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and many other nutritional elements. They are liked by all; especially the fruits. Fruits taste tangy, sweet, sour, sugary which are the favourite flavours of kids. There are many kinds of fruit and vegetables available in markets. They are of blue, black, red, yellow, pink, purple, orange, green, white and of different colours. One must know that these are the richest sources of antioxidants and beta-carotene.
These three colours are the colours of our ‘tricolour’ too. You must have heard about ‘Chromotherapy’. It is the therapy which believes there are certain colours in our body which balances our health. It treats using colours itself. So, this is the importance of colours in our lives.
Here, we will be classifying fruits and vegetables as per their colour. In these sections, we will be describing the benefits of certain coloured vegetables. It will be very interesting to know the health benefits of different colours of fruits. As rainbow has different colours which makes our world beautiful; similarly intake of these rainbow coloured edibles shines your life as the similar-
Rainbow fruits and vegetables and their health benefits:-
1. Glossy Red edibles
Red is the colour which is liked by everyone. It comes under the category of prime colours and is regarded as a magnificent and beautiful colour. Red edibles such as cherries, raspberries, tomato, watermelons, beetroot, red cabbage, red spinach, strawberries, red apples, red onions, bell pepper, cranberries etc all are the treasures of health. Deep red or bright pink fruits and vegetables should be eaten every day, recommends the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Nutrition research shows that red and bright pink fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals, such as lycopene and anthocyanins. Phytochemicals, substances found only in plants, help your body fight disease and promote good health.
Benefits of Red coloured edibles;
- Eating Red Fruits and Vegetables may help prevent Cancer.
- This stuff enhances the blush and pinkness of your cheeks.
- It improves blood circulation.
- They are responsible for the production of haemoglobin which prevents anaemia.
- It helps to control High blood pressure.
2. Natural Green veggies and fruits
Green colour symbolizes harmony, nature, sacred and well-being. Green coloured edibles are rich in Chlorophyll, fibre, lutein, zeaxanthin, calcium, folate, vitamin C, calcium, and Beta-carotene. All these things make the green stuff like the powerhouse of energy. Avocados, cabbage, chillies, green apples, guava, green beans, green gram, peas, lettuce, lime, okra, kiwifruit, spinach etc comes under this coloured stuffs. All know that green stuff is healthy; but what makes green stuff so healthy. One reason is that they are packed with nutrients and phytochemicals substances found only in plants which help fight disease and improve health.
Benefits of green veggies and fruits
- Green vegetables are good for your eyes, bones and teeth, and their vitamin K content helps your blood to clot properly.
- Spinach and other leafy greens aids in the blood formation.
- Eating green vegetables rich in Lutein helps reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- These are fibrous and are easily digestible thus very good for the digestive system.
- Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, sprouts etc help to prevent breast and prostate cancer.
3. Whitish fruits and vegetables
White edibles like mushrooms, white onions, garlic, shallots etc all are bursting with powerful phytochemicals substances found only in plants which help your body fight disease and promote good health. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) recommends flavoring salads, sandwiches, and main dishes with garlic, onions, and/or leeks as part of your recommended 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
Benefits of white vegetables and fruits
- Garlic and white onions re the best-suited whites to prevent and cure cold-related disorders.
- Onions and shallots are well-known to lower down cholesterol levels.
- Mushrooms are the richest source of proteins and yummy vegetables during winters.
- Mushrooms, chives, etc. has the potential to fight bacteria and keeps away bacterial infections.
- Nutrition research shows that eating vegetables from the onion family may speed recovery from colds, reduce the risk of heart attacks, and may even help stop the spread of certain cancers, particularly stomach and colon cancer.
The juice of white onion; is used to prepare an Ayurvedic eye drop named ‘Drishti eye drop’.
Thus the juice of the white onion is useful to cure eye flu’s and also increases sight.