Table of Contents
Bitter gourd is a common vegetable-cum-fruit. Although it is a pretty well-known vegetable in Indian households, most people dislike it due to its bitter taste. Today, let us not only discuss the taste of bitter gourd but its excellent benefits, especially for the elderly People. This less-loved food offers some incredibly amazing benefits to senior citizens. From helping their heart stay healthy to slowing down the aging process.
Bitter gourd may seem bitter, but its benefits are ironically sweet. Here we will tell you about the fantastic health benefits of bitter gourd. After reading these benefits, you’ll be amazed that such a bitter vegetable can be this beneficial.
Bitter Gourd or Karela or Bitter Melon
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd
- Bitter gourd contains a high amount of Phosphorus, which removes phlegm, constipation, and prevents other digestive problems in the elderly. It helps in the proper digestion of food and increases the appetite.
- Bitter gourd works like magic for asthmatic patients. So elders having Asthma can consume Bitter Gourd to get relief from it.
- Bitter gourd is also an excellent medicinal food for elders suffering from gastric issues. Bitter gourd also prevents gastric problems and indigestion.
- Drinking bitter gourd juice makes the liver healthy and excludes all related liver ailments. Results can be seen in a few days, majorly in a week from its intake daily. It is also beneficial, meanwhile, jaundice.
- If elders catch cholera, vomiting, or diarrhoea, mix black salt in bitter gourd juice and drink directly. Consuming two spoons of bitter gourd juice mixed with water is beneficial.
- Even in paralysis, bitter gourd is a highly effective remedy. Eating raw bitter gourd is highly beneficial for the elderly suffering from paralysis.
- Bitter gourd is also fruitful to clean the blood. It is considered very useful in diabetes. The elderly suffering from diabetes should drink bitter gourd juice with water.
- Bitter gourd is also fruitful to clean the blood.
- Bitter gourd is very beneficial in bloody piles. Elders can also mix a little sugar in the juice to make it taste better, provided it is allowed to them to be used by doctors.
- Massaging with bitter gourd juice is also beneficial for arthritis and burning sensation in the extremities.
- During kidney problems, both steamed bitter gourd water and bitter gourd juice are extremely helpful.
- Bitter gourd is a treatment for problems related to the heart. It does not allow harmful fats to accumulate in the heart’s arteries, thereby maintaining blood circulation and reducing the possibility of heart attack or strokes in senior citizens.
- Utilizing bitter gourd extracts on skin along with lemon juice rectifies pimples and prevents unnecessary skin diseases and allergies.
- Last but not least, it also helps cancer patients to stay healthy and longer.
Bitter gourd juice is beneficial for health and skin. Here it is how:
According to a study, bitter gourd is very advantageous to resist obesity. Sugar produced in the body does not get converted into fat, as it activates insulin. This helps to reduce fat as well as control it. The bitter gourd has meager calories, thereby keeping the calories under control and does not increase weight.
- Bitter gourd juice is a good option for dealing with levels of blood sugar. It contains Momordica charantia which works perfectly to control blood sugar levels. Consuming bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach can help a lot in diabetes.
- Bitter gourd juice is also considered as an effective drink for stone patients.
- Bitter gourd juice is helpful for the eyes too. It contains beta-carotene, which keeps away diseases related to the eyes and also helps in increasing immunity. Thus, Bitter Gourd should always be in the elder’s diet.
Profitable Properties of Bitter Gourd Juice:
- With its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which purify the blood, which further prevents skin problems and allergies in senior citizens.
- It also helps the elderly to grow healthily. Being a rich source of Vitamin C, it slows down the ageing process.
- With its antioxidants, bitter gourd also prevents wrinkles.
- Lastly, bitter gourd cures various skin-related issues and also helps in eczema and psoriasis diseases.
Nutritional Facts About Bitter Gourd
Nutrients per 100 grams:
- Water: 94 grams
- Energy: 19 kcal
- Protein: 0.84 grams
- Fat: 0.18 grams
- Carbohydrate: 4.32 grams
- Fibre: 2 grams
Minerals per 100 grams
- Calcium: 9 mg
- Iron: 0.38 mg
- Magnesium: 16 mg
- Phosphorus: 36 mg
- Potassium: 319 mg
- Sodium: 6 mg
- Zinc: 0.77 mg
How Consuming Bitter Gourds Can Help for Overall Health?
There are many benefits of Bitter Gourd when added to the diet. Here we will list those helpful benefits of Bitter Gourd, which ensures the overall health of the elders, by understanding where all it works in the body.
1: Bitter gourd helps in weight loss
Bitter gourd should be included in a weight loss diet, as it has the potential to reduce obesity in the growing elders. Bitter gourd contains less fat, carbohydrates, and calories, which prevents absorbing fat. These three components help to manage weight and protect from unhealthy eating habits.
2: Bitter gourd for the respiratory system
If you are bearing from a cold, asthma and cough, etc., it is recommended that you add a little amount of bitter gourd to their food, and they will feel better in no time. To combat the common cold and the flu, one will have to powder some bitter leaves of bitter gourd as well as some honey in it. Then drink it in the morning, and they will feel better.
3: Bitter gourd for constipation
Bitter gourd is considered the best treatment for suffering from constipation. It will aid in normal bowel movements and promotes a good digestion system. This magical vegetable can be served in many forms to the seniors; so serve it as juice or just mix it with other foods.
4: Bitter gourd for heart health
What else do you need? Just take some bitter gourd juice, and it will keep your heart healthy.
Bitter gourd is said to benefit hearts in several ways; such as lowering the level of bad cholesterol and releasing the blockage in arteries. This will reduce the risk of a heart attack in senior citizens. Bitter gourd also controls blood sugar levels, which helps pump the heart well.
5:Bitter gourd for energy boosting
Instead of serving energetic supplements to the elderly, make some bitter gourd juice for them. It will increase their stamina and energy levels to a large extent without any side effects. The best thing about consuming bitter gourd juice is that it can help the elders get adequate sleep.
6: Bitter gourd for blood purification
Bitter gourd has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that can treat various skin diseases, remove harmful toxins in the blood, and improve blood circulation.
Also, if you are experiencing any rashes, itching, pimples, and cancer cells, bitter gourd can relieve the same because the antioxidant properties found in it are beneficial.
Bitter gourd prevents diabetes
Bitter gourd is an essential food for people who have type 2 diabetes. The disease usually occurs because cells cannot absorb blood sugar due to the insufficient insulin that one’s pancreas produces. However, bitter gourd juice can reverse this by lowering blood sugar levels in the body. So, all have to do is include that in their daily diet and prevent them from developing type 2 diabetes.
8:Bitter gourd for cancer
Some studies have shown that bitter gourd seeds and fruit extracts prevent the development of certain types of cancer. It has a fantastic activity against prostate adenocarcinoma, human colon cancer, and highly metastatic (quickly spreading to other organs) breast cancer.
- It has been reported that bitter gourd is enriched with antimutagenic compounds (inhibiting the cellular changes responsible for cancer) and antitumor compounds and possesses an intense antioxidant activity. These studies have shown that bitter gourd has an inhibitory effect on cancer cells. It acts by inhibiting the enzyme responsible for cancer activity progression, such as in the case of leukaemia.
9:Bitter gourd has healing properties
Bitter gourd has healing abilities that help regulate blood flow and prevent blood clots. If the blood flow is smooth, it will heal wounds faster.
Bitter gourd for Skin
All-in-one bitter gourd is the ultimate vegetable that is good for elders’ overall health, but it is also good for their skin and hair. Here we have also explained the benefits of eating bitter gourd for skin and hair.
1: Bitter gourd prevents skin disorder
Bitter gourd can be consumed either in juice form or with vegetables in the daily diet. The result of the consumption of bitter gourd is that it will help in bright and soft skin due to its blood refining attributes.
- Certain skin diseases and conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, which are common , can be cured or lessened by this vegetable’s beneficial effects. It is also used to treat different fungal infections.
2: Bitter gourd has anti-aging properties
Bitter gourd contains vitamin C, which can fight and remove harmful particles that can potentially harm their body. This powerful antioxidant prevents the skin from wrinkles and slows down the aging process. It also protects skin from ultraviolet rays.
Bitter gourd for hair
Dandruff and dried hair are common in growing elders. But bitter gourd is an extraordinary natural home remedy to keep their hair healthy. You have to mix one cup of freshly ground bitter gourd juice with some curd and apply it on the hair and wash it after 10 minutes. Further, it can be noticed that the hair has a shine and a nice texture.
Bitter gourd for dandruff and dry scalp
Dandruff is a universal problem and is usually caused by the consumption and pollution of junk food. In this case, bitter gourds can overcome dandruff. So, all elders have to do is mix the bitter gourd juice with some cumin and apply it to the hair before going for the shower.
After 10 minutes, gently wash the hair with some lukewarm water. To get the best results, you need to do this remedy for a month or more.
Bitter gourd prevents hair fall
If you consume bitter gourd juice more often, it will stop hair fall naturally. The first thing needed to do is mix some sugar in some bitter gourd juice and mix until a paste is made. You can apply it directly to the hair until they get the best results.
Prevents grey hair
Bitter gourd is a natural remedy to cure premature grey hair, and here is what elders need to do to prevent hair from getting white. One can also apply its juice directly on the scalp and roots, leave it for 10 minutes, and wash. You have to keep doing this once every 10 days. This will stop premature white hair but will not help regain brown hair.
Possible Side Effects of Bitter Gourd :
1: Potential Allergies:
Consumption of bitter gourd should be avoided if you are allergic
2: Blood sugar level:
Bitter gourd is used as a treatment for diabetes. It has the potential to reduce blood sugar levels. But elderly may experience headaches, nausea, and even lack of consciousness while consuming it in excess.
In this deficiency, a person is unable to break down and digest the element present in seeds like bitter gourd or melons. They should avoid intake to prevent side effects like headache, fever, stomach ache, etc.
Since bitter gourd is used to treat constipation, high doses can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.