Everyone loves to enjoy drops of lemon with their favourite chat, pani puri and other salty snacks! Lemon is found in every house due to its multi-purpose nature itself. Lemon is a fruit cum veggie which is used in almost cuisines and in all parts of the country. These are the cutest vegetables which looks similar as a small ball. Many of us thinks it as a simple condiment but it is not so. This is a small package of huge health. Here, we will be describing how this small juicy ball can be so helpful to cure even fatal diseases.
The lemon is an important fruit of citrus group. Actually it ranks the first among all the citrus group; after amla. It ranks high as a health food. Many times; we think lemon and lime as the same. But they are not so; lime is a species than the lemon. Lemon can be oval or round in shape with green, yellow or yellowish-green in colour. Ripe one has pale yellow pulp and abundant juice with numerous seeds in it.The lemon is indigenous to the north-west regions of India, ascending to an altitude of 4,000 ft. In India lemon is cultivated in home gardens, nurseries and small-sized orchards in parts of Uttar Pradesh, Bombay, Madras and Mysore.
English name- Lemon Hindi name- Neembu, Kagaji neembu Sanskrit name- Nimbuk Kingdom- Plantae Family name- Rutaceae Botanical name- Citrus aurantiifolia
The lemon trees are small, bushy, thorny plants. It has glossy small leaves of dark green colour. It size of tree depends upon the variety of the plant. Like some are small, medium-sized even tall. It bears white coloured flowers which are fragrant. The fruits are round, smooth, green when unripe and yellow when ripe. The whole plant is dark green in colour with smooth stem.
Nutrition in Lemon-
The lemon juice and its peel contains citric acid, phosphoric acid, malic acid and sucrose. The skin of the fruit even contains an undesirable oil. The various parts of the lemon used for medicinal purposes are rind of the ripe fruit,essential oil of the rind and expressed juice of the ripe fruit. There are many more nutritious elements in lemon as listed below-
- Vitamin A, B2, B5, C, K
- Vitamin B Complex
Uses of Lemon-
Lemon is widely used in different forms, some are listed as follows;
- It is often used in the preparation of salads and prevents the discoloration of sliced bananas and apples.
- It is also used in preparation of lemonades, squashes, jams and jellies.
- Many types of herbal drinks like lemon tea, lemon flavoured green tea etc are prepared.
- It is also used as a condiment in street foods such as chat, pakoras, pav-bhaji and many more.
- Lemon is also used to prepare pickles and as a preservative too.
- It is also used as a marinating ingredient in fishes, chickens, muttons and gram flour paste.
- An oil is extracted from the peel and the flowers which are highly beneficial.
- The lemon extract is also used to prepare bathing bars and toiletries.
- Many deodorants, room fresheners, perfumes, candles are prepared using the lemon extract.
10 Medicinal benefits of Lemon:-
Now, we will be moving to our concerned point of this topic. It is; Medicinal benefits of Lemon. Lemon is highly beneficial to cure several ailments. Some are described like obesity and skin diseases. Now, lets move to it-
1. For Obesity-
Obesity is a non-contagious disease which is characterized by the development of heavy adipose tissue in body. It simply means the over-increase of body weight as compared to the BMI calculation. Lemon is highly beneficial to cure this; lets know how;
- One suffering from obesity must have a glass of warm water with lemon squeezed in it; this is best if taken in early morning.
- Take 1 litre of water and cut 2 lemon, 1/2 cucumber, grated ginger, mint-basil leaves and rock salt. Keep this for overnight, next day on a regular interval have this water. It is called flat tummy water. use this on a regular basis.
- Include lemon in your daily diet with salads or water itself.
2. For Skin diseases-
Lemon is widely used as a beauty cosmetic. It is used in many creams and cosmetics too. Lets see how to use lemon in skin diseases;
- Apply lemon on your to cure acne, scars and marks.
- One can also add lemon drops in their face packs or Multani mitti as it brightens your skin and makes it fair.
- Take an ice tray and fill it with water consisting 1/4th of lemon drops in it. On a daily basis apply this on your face; it refreshes, hydrates your skin making it glowing and enhances the complexion.
- In case of itching, burning sensation or eczema apply lemon on the affected area. It is very good to cure any kind of skin disease.
- Mix equal quantities of lemon juice and holy basil. Keep it under the sun till becomes thick. Apply this on face; it cures pimples and acne.
- Mix lemon juice in egg white and apply on skin as a face mask.
- after few minutes rinse it with warm water. It will make your face glow.
3.For Insect and Scorpion bite-
- For Insect bite, apply lemon juice on the affected area. It will give an immense relief.
- For Scorpion bite, take 9 gm kernel of lemon seeds with 8 gm rock salt. Give this to the patient; it eliminates venom from body.
4. For Hairs-
- Grind Amla in lemon juice and apply on the hairs.
- It cures dandruff and also treats hair fall.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and 10-15 bael leaves .
- Grind and apply this on head. It will make your hairs curly.
5. For Insanity-
- Apply the juice of lemon on forehead.
- It cures neurological disorders like madness also.
- Lemon seeds can be also used in this case; it is also beneficial in such disorders.
6. For Spleen enlargement-
- Lemon pickles can be used to cure the enlarged spleen.
- Mix 20 gm juice of lemon with onion juice and give this to the patient everyday twice a day.
- It cures enlarged spleen.
7. For Liver-
- Mix lemon juice and sugar candy in warm water.
- Give the patient every morning; it improves the liver functioning.
- Give lemon juice with roasted Ajwoyan and rock salt. It is beneficial to cure-all kinds of liver disorders.
8. For Cholera-
- In case of cholera, give juice of two lemons before meals everyday.
- Mix sugar candy in lemon and give this to the patient.
9. For Dyspepsia-
- Mix small amount of ginger and black pepper, salt in lemon juice.
- It cures indigestion, weakened state of digestive power, gastric problems and rheumatic arthritis.
- One can have a glass of lemon juice with rock salt.
10. For Scurvy-
- Take 200 ml of fresh lime juice, 60 grain potassium chlorate, 6 grain quinine and 50 gm sugar.
- Give this to the patient 3-4 times a day.
- It is beneficial in curing scurvy.
So, in this way we saw this small fruit is enriched with numerous health and medicinal benefits. These are small things but has a lot of curing capacity in it. So, go green and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.