Table of Contents
What is Healthy Diet
- A variety of food that give nutrients to our body to keep body healthy, feel good and have proper amount of energy. Healthy diet contains proper amount of nutrients that include proteins, carbohydrates, fats, water, vitamins and minerals.
What is Nutrition
- The process by which a body gets nourished with proper amount of nutrients.For a healthy body proper proportion of nutrients are needed.
Healthy Eating for Women
- Healthy eating is a way of balancing the food in proper amount to keep your body strong, energized and well nourished. Women are careless about their diet as they don’t have proper knowledge and guidelines. Women should know that their nutritional needs are different from men and at different age everybody needs a different diet plan. As children, both boys’ and girls’ dietary needs are similar. When puberty begins, women start to develop unique nutritional requirements. And as we age our bodies go through more physical and hormonal changes, so our nutritional needs are different. So try to change your diet.
- While women need fewer calories than men, women’s requirements for certain vitamins and minerals are much higher. Hormonal changes associated with menstruation, child-bearing, and menopause mean that women have a higher risk of weakened bones and osteoporosis, anemia requiring a higher intake of nutrients such as iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin B9 (folate).
- Calcium intake for strong bones throughout life as women are at greater risk than men of developing osteoporosis so it is important to get plenty of calcium with magnesium and vit. D to get healthy bones. So women should eat food which has good source of calcium in it like plain yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, soyamilk, sardines, tofu, turnip green, salmon, kale, raw broccoli etc.
- Iron is very important for women as it helps in increasing hemoglobin that carries oxygen in body, provides healthy skin, hair and nails. Due to the amount of blood lost during menstruation, women of childbearing age need more than twice the amount of iron than men. Most of the women are anemic due to deficiency of iron. Iron deficiency can lead to mood swings causing depression-like symptoms such as irritability and difficulty in concentrating. So women should eat food that are rich in iron like cereals, tomatoes, spinach, kidney beans, broccoli, green peas, lentils, potato, cashewnuts, eggs, raisins, sardines, roasted chicken etc.
- Folate or vitamin B9 is another nutrient that many women don’t get enough of in their diets. Folate can greatly reduce the chance of neurological birth defects. Folate lowers heart disease and certain types of cancer. And in later life during menopause, folate helps in manufacturing estrogen hormone. Food supplements rich in folate are Orange juice, papaya, banana, spaghetti, kidney beans, green peas, mustard greens, tomato juice, broccoli, spinach, roasted chicken, egg, fish, milk.
- Don’t skip meals in daily routine and always eat healthy snacks in between 3 meals.
- Always avoid sugary drinks and sugary products like cold drinks, cakes, candies, cookies etc.
- Avoid eating solid fats like butter, cream, hydrogenated oils or partially hydrogenated oils contain saturated and trans fats.
- If you are obese or overweight do regular exercises, walk, yoga asanas and pranayama for health maintenance.
- Regular exercise should be done by every woman to keep body healthy and fit
- Use dried herbs and spices like basil, oregano, parsley, lemon pepper, garlic powder to flavor your food.
- The best way for every woman is to keep your diet healthy with proper nutrients, regular exercise and always keep your body, soul and mind fresh by doing meditation in daily routine to stay healthy and fit always.