Psoriasis is an irritating condition which is not curable by the modern allopathic medicines. Ayurveda has a ray of hope in curing psoriasis. Let’s understand the disease first.
What is Psoriasis
What is psoriasis:
Psoriasis is a disease which shows its symptoms primarily on skin. It is an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disease is a disease which is caused by our body’s own immunity. Actually our body’s immunity system is meant to protect our body from virus and bacteria but due to certain reasons, our immune system considers our own body cells as enemy and attacks on them. This condition is called autoimmunity.
Signs & Symptoms of Psoriasis
Signs & Symptoms of psoriasis:
There are various types of psoriasis. The signs and symptoms vary accordingly. The most common type is plaque psoriasis (more than 80% of total psoriasis is of plaque category) the general symptoms are…
- Scaly, red inflamed patches on skin
- Skin becomes dry and bleeds
- Itching, burning sensation and irritation on scales
- Joint pain
- Soreness around patches
- Thick nails
In psoriasis, person feels the cyclic pattern of symptoms. At some point of time, all the symptoms vanish and person feels as if he has been almost cured from the diseases. On the other day, it becomes very severe as if no medicine is working to diminish the disease.
Stress and alcohol consumption may trigger the psoriasis. It is always better to avoid the triggering factors.
Treatment of Psoriasis
Treatment of Psoriasis:
Modern medicine is helpless in auto immune diseases like psoriasis. The allopathic treatment helps reducing the symptoms temporarily. It cannot cure psoriasis. Moreover, medicines used for psoriasis treatment may cause severe side effects and reactions on a longer run.
There is a ray of hope in Ayurveda as far as the treatment of psoriasis is concerned. Ayurveda is a science of life. One can experience total cure from psoriasis by following the Ayurveda medicines, diet and lifestyle regimes.
Ayurvedic treatment of psoriasis
Ayurvedic treatment of psoriasis
As per Ayurveda psoriasis can occur due to many factors such as vitiation of Kapha and Vaayu dosha (our body humors), Viruddha Ahara (Improper diet, such as consuming milk and onions together), and Mithya Vihara (Improper lifestyle, such as awakening at nights, inducing stress etc.)
In Ayurveda, every person is unique and carries his/her identical Prakriti (constitution). The treatment is decided based on one’s constitution. The general treatment protocol of psoriasis is…
- Panchakarma: Purification and detoxification of body through procedures like Vamana, Virechana and Vasti. It is done under the guidance of a certified Ayurveda physician
- Medicines: Ayurvedic medicines are provided considering the vitiation of dosha and person’s constitution. Herbs such as guduchi, neem, haridra, manjishtha, khadira etc can be useful
- Diet: Avoid diet which is heavy to digest (Such as refined flour, cheese, paneer etc.), eat light meals, and avoid viruddha ahara. Avoid fast food, fried food and cold drinks. Avoid alcohol and tobacco
- Lifestyle: Take regular and proper sleep. Get rid of stress by meditation or music. Do regular yoga and exercises.
Dr. Kedar is an eminent Ayurveda Doctor in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. He runs his ‘Atharva Ayurveda and Panchakarma Centre’ at Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Rajkot and Morbi and a successful writer. He writes health and Ayurveda related columns in a local newspaper daily since last five years and thousands of patients have been treated worldwide through his Ayurveda expertise.