It is a condition of the kidneys in which they are unable to filter waste products effectively. The extent of kidney failure could be variable depending upon the kidneys function that is still remaining.
Ayurvedic medicines when used appropriately with the right diet and lifestyle can prove to be very effective in the management of kidney failure.
It generally occurs in two forms. One being acute kidney failure or renal failure, in which there is a sudden loss of kidney function and the kidneys are unable to filter the wastes and form urine adequately.
The other is called as the chronic renal failure in which there is a gradual loss of kidney function over a period of time.
MAJOR CAUSES OF KIDNEY FAILURE
Chronic kidney failure
The most common and prime causes of kidney failure are:-
- Diabetes – Type -2
- High blood pressure
- Glomerulonephritis – a condition that damages the basic functioning units of the kidneys, the glomeruli.
- Kidney stones
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Kidney damaging drugs
Acute Kidney failure
- Blood loss from major injury
- Harmful medicines that are toxic to the kidneys
- Autoimmune kidney disease
- Urinary tract obstruction
OTHER CAUSES OF KIDNEY FAILURE
Congenital malformations of the kidneys, deadly viral infections like HIV, AIDS and Hepatitis – B, C etc. are the other less common but very potent causes of kidney failure.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KIDNEY FAILURE
- Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing comfortably
- Whole body weakness and malaise
- Unstable psyche, stress, and depression
- Abnormal heart rhythms in case of potassium derangement
- Nausea – vomiting
- Low or no appetite
- Insomnia or difficulty in sleeping for long hours
- Inadequate urine output
- Frequent muscle cramps
- Pruritis or itching all over the body
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure
- Swelling around the ankles
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Feeling cold
- Pain in laterals/ flanks
HERBS FOR KIDNEY FAILURE
A lot of people look for good and effective Ayurvedic treatment of kidney failure to escape costly modern procedures like dialysis and kidney transplant.
A few examples of the herbs that can help a case of kidney failure are:- Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa), Bhumyamlaki (Phyllanthus niruri), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Echinacea, Varun (Crateva nurula), Palash (Butea monosperma), Rakta chandan (red sandalwood) etc.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR KIDNEY FAILURE
There are many herbs and formulations which can benefit a patient of kidney failure at any pint of time. Some of the popular formulations have been explained below. These ayurvedic medicines are equally helpful in chronic kidney disease and acute renal failure.
1. MUTRAKRICHANTAKA CHURNA
It is an herbal powder blend having herbs like Punarnava, Gokshur, Varun etc. These herbs are mainly responsible for lowering the urea and creatinine levels in renal failure patients.
This powder blend also helps to revive the kidney function by repairing damaged nephrons to large extent.
2. RENCURE FORMULA
Capsule Rencure formula has a combination of Punarnava, Gokshur, Varun with Raktachandana and Kaasni (Chicorium intybus) which are very effective for managing urinary complaints like difficulty in passing urine and microbial infestation.
3. VARUNADI VATI
Varun (Crateva nurula) is one of the best natural urinary diuretic supplement. It improves the circulation of blood and urine in the nephrons helping it to work properly in kidney failure. It is completely herbal and has no side effects as compared to the allopathic diuretic medicines that are habit forming and damage the kidneys after prolonged usage.
4. PUNARNAVA MANDUR
Punarnava is one of the best herbal solutions for kidney failure patients so it is combined into yet another classical ayurvedic formulation that is aimed at maintaining the hemoglobin levels in CKD (Chronic kidney disease).
Ayurvedic treatment of kidney failure has to be supplemented with an appropriate diet so that the patient experiences best results without delay.
- Drink fresh fruits and vegetable juices in plenty. Prefer herbal tea instead of the regular ones.
- Avoid food products that are rich in potassium and sodium.
- Avoid use of too much fat in the diet as CKD patients are prone to hypercholesterolemia.
- Take the right amount of protein in the diet. Green gram, lentil, pink lentil are some of the safe proteins that kidney patient should prefer. Avoid meat and non – veg food as far as possible. Red meat should be completely prohibited.
- Include a lot of vegetables, fruits and whole grains in diet such as Pumpkin, Radish, Carrot, Onion, Eggplant, Cucumber, Lettuce, Turnip, Ginger, and Garlic etc.
- Fruits include Papaya, Watermelon, Apricots, Amla, Bael, Grapes, Blueberry, Olives, peaches, pears, figs, and Cranberry etc.
- Avoid use of spices also if potassium levels are deranged.
- Vitamin –D is also recommended in such patients.