Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic condition and is a type of Inflammatory Bowel Disease IBD. It affects large intestines and leads to inflammation and swelling of colon. We will let you know what is the Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis in this blog.
Tiny sores or ulcers develop in the colon. These open sores produce mucus and blood. If ulcerative colitis is not taken seriously in the beginning it might lead to colon cancer in future. If children suffer from ulcerative colitis it will slow their growth and development.
Types of Ulcerative Colitis
One should be able to distinguish between various types in of ulcerative colitis.
- Ulcerative Proctitis- It affects the rectum region
- Proctosigmoiditis –It affects the rectum and sigmoid colon
- Left sided Colitis
- Pancolitis –It affects the entire colon
What are the symptoms for recognizing ulcerative colitis?
- Person suffering from ulcerative colitis will see blood in stool. Amount of blood depends on severity of ulcerative colitis.
- Stool passed will be liquid. Person will be Diarrhoeic for weeks or months this will lead to dehydration. Frequent small quantity bowel movements.
- There can be abdominal discomfort. Stomach cramps, abdominal pain at left side or whole abdomen. Pain in the rectum. Increased Intestinal gas
- Patient will have very low appetite. Will eat very less and most of the times will skip meals. Immediate weight loss and tired all the time.
- Urgency to have a bowel movement mostly when in stress.
- As food is not digested properly and lot of body liquids and nutrients are lost due to diarrhoea low energy levels and tiredness is seen in ulcerative colitis patient.
- If condition is very severe at times body temperature increases giving frequent fevers. One may feel feverish all the time. Ulcerative Colitis also gives mental stress hence patient will be irritated and lose temper easily.
If these symptoms are seen one should visit doctor and get their tests done for confirmation of Ulcerative Colitis. Tests include blood and stool test, Abdominal-CT Scan, colonoscopy, MRI and X-ray.
What are the Reasons behind ulcerative colitis?
The reason of ulcerative colitis is unknown. Some believe it may be a defect in the immune system where it starts harming colon. Body starts to harm the good bacteria in the stomach. Poor blood supply to the colon or infection in colon can also cause ulcerative colitis. Food poisoning can also cause it. Stress also plays an important role in causing this condition. Ulcerative colitis is also seen in family hence being hereditary.
Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis
Ayurvedic doctors believe it is caused because of pitta dosha. Pitta is increased by taking spicy foods and unhealthy fast food. To pacify this pitta dosha on should make changes in lifestyle and take ayurvedic medicines to relieve Ulcerative Colitis.
- Aloe Vera juice should be consumed throughout the day.
- Water boiled with fennel seeds helps.
- Turmeric powder helps to relieve and cure colon inflammation.
- Other remedies are fenugreek, ginger, Fish oil, Wheat grass Juice, Psyllium Seeds etc.
- Various supplements are available in Ayurveda to relieve pitta dosha.
One can make few changes in lifestyle and deal with this chronic and reoccurring condition.
- Take plenty of water this will help to keep you hydrated and keep your system clean.
- Take complete rest and sleep on time this will help in relieving stress.
- Avoid spicy food, sugar, sauces, white bread and white rice as they are difficult to digest.
- Intake of coffee and tea should be minimised. Aerated and soft drinks should also be minimised.
- Include protein in your diet by taking soy milk, eggs or boiled chicken.
- Do not take heavy meals as they are difficult to digest. Take small meals with foods that are soft.
- Juices of carrot and papaya are also helpful. Buttermilk/lassi or coconut water will help you with increasing energy levels and also keep your body hydrated.
- Fruits like ripe or cooked apple and bananas also help to treat Ulcerative Colitis
- Foods with very high fiber content and hard to digest should also be avoided in Ulcerative Colitis like raw vegetables and fruits. Citrus fruits should also be avoided.
- Use of Dairy products should be stopped.
- Smoking should be stopped.
- Alcohol drinking should be stopped.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM