Ulcerative Colitis is an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of large intestine and rectum. It forms ulcers or sores on the inner lining of the large intestines. Diet and Exercise always play a key role in the treatment of any kind of disorder. A diet that includes variety give proper nutrition and enough calories are the best for treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.
Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic disease that tends to increase the energy needs of the body and reduce the appetite at the same time, so it is very important to take a well-balanced diet especially the foods that help in reducing inflammation. Ulcerative Colitis patients have symptoms like diarrhea and bleeding that often lead to dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and loss of nutrients. The meals should be frequent and small for proper absorption of nutrients and one needs to limit dairy products and gassy foods. Increase the intake of water is always recommended.
Ulcerative Colitis patients are recommended a diet based on their symptoms. It is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that can be easily improved by dietary changes. The best options are listed below:
- A diet high in calories but low in fats is needed to prevent problems like malnutrition. Ulcerative Colitis patients undergo unintentional weight loss so they are recommended to compensate for the loss of nutrients by taking a high-calorie diet. The patients face problems with fat absorption and eating fatty foods trigger the symptoms, so a lot of fat diets is advised to the patients.
- People with ulcerative colitis often have lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance. They are advised to opt for lactose-free diet and the gluten-free diet.
- A diet low in fiber and salt is recommended for Ulcerative Colitis patients. This helps in lowering the water retention in the patients. A low fiber /residue diet helps in reducing the frequency of bowel movements and abdominal cramps. A low fiber diet includes foods that are easy to digest and helps in slowing the bowel movement and limit diarrhea.
- The best foods to include in a diet are unsweetened applesauce, squash, avocados, oatmeal, eggs, salmon, peanut butter, some fermented foods like yogurts, soy-based proteins, lean meats, and poultry.
- Fruit juices with no pulp are advised. Fruits that are considered good to be taken include ripe bananas, melon, cantaloupe, watermelon, pomegranate juice, apple, and apricots.
- Vegetables that do not flare up the symptoms of UC include cucumbers, zucchini, cooked spinach, pumpkin, raw lettuce, carrots, potatoes, seedless yellow squash, and green beans.
- Well-cooked plain white rice or white rice is good for UC patients. Purred vegetable soups or cooked vegetable without skin or seeds is recommended. Oils like olive oil and coconut oil can be taken.
- Namkeen well-cooked daliya, poha (simple/without nuts), upma with allowed boiled vegetables can be given.
Foods to be avoided for Ulcerative Colitis
Some foods are known to trigger the Ulcerative Colitis symptoms. These foods should be limited or completely avoided. These include
Whole grain foods.
- High fiber foods like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and celery should be strictly avoided.
Nuts, seeds, and popcorns:
- Nuts have fiber that is hard for UC patients to digest. They should be avoided. These include walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios etc. Seeds like sesame seeds, flax seeds, millet, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts etc all cause bloating and gas and should be avoided by UC patients.
Dried beans, peas and Legumes:
- These are high in fiber and can increase the bowel movement, abdominal cramping, and gas so they should be taken by the UC patients in small quantities. One may puree them into hummus or remove the outer covering of chickpeas in order to lower the fiber content.
- Coffee, Tea, chocolate and some other energy drinks tend to dehydrate and increase frequency to urinate. The caffeine in them stimulates and speed up the transit time in the colon.
- Alcohol can stimulate the intestine and trigger diarrhea. Carbonated drinks like sodas, beers can irritate the digestive tract and cause gas. These are high in sugar or artificial sweeteners and can trigger the ulcerative colitis symptoms.
Foods containing Sulphur or sulfate
- Foods containing Sulphur or sulfate should be avoided. These cause excess gas production. These include red meat, beer, wine, eggs, cheese, dates, dried apples, apricots, almonds, wheat pasta, bread, peanuts, cruciferous vegetables, raisins, prunes etc.
- Sugar alcohols like sorbitol and mannitol which are found in sugar-free gums and candies, ice creams, in fruit juices. This should be avoided. Even refined sugar should be refrained from. Fructose sugar like high fructose corn syrup is also not properly absorbed by the body, thus causing gas and cramping.
- Spicy foods, hot sauces, pickles, and pepper are not advised for UC patients as they trigger diarrhea and other symptoms.
- Creamy foods like mayonnaise, sauce also trigger UC symptoms.
The Ulcerative Colitis patient always knows which foods worsen a flare or trigger the symptoms for them.T hey need to avoid those specific foods from the diet. The right foods will provide key nutrients without aggravating the symptoms further.
Diet – Ulcerative Colitis, IBD, Crohn’s Disease
Avoid (सेवन न करें)
All Citrus Fruits
Black eyes beans
Split Red Grams
अरहर दाल/ सांभर
Aloe Vera Juice
घृत कुमारी जूस
Psyllium Seed Husk
Spices Like Red Chili, Cloves, Black Peppers, Turmeric, Asafetida
मसाले जैसे लाल मिर्च, लौंग, काली मिर्च, हल्दी, हींग
Junk – Fast Foods (Pizza, Burger, Noodles, Chips, Etc.)
फास्ट फूड्स (पिज्जा, बर्गर, नूडल्स, चिप्स, आदि)
पैक खाद्य पदार्थ
Choose (मात्रानुसार सेवन करें)
गाय का घी
|Plain DOsa With Little Oil|
Uttapam – Non Spicy
उत्तपम – बिना मसालेदार
Gruel – Non-Spicy
Pomegranate Juice – 50 Ml Daily, Fresh
अनार का जूस (घर में निकला गया)
सेब (घर में निकला गया)
Papaya – Moderation
मूली (अगर सूट करे तो)
सरसों का साग
Rose Petals Juice – 1 Tsp. 2-3 Times
गुलाब की पत्तियों का जूस – 1 चम्मच 2-3 बार
Marigold Flower Juice – 1tsp. 2-3 Times
|गेंदे के फूल का जूस – 1 चम्मच 2-3 बार|
धनिये के पत्ते का जूस – 1 चम्मच 2-3 बार
Corn flour bread
मक्की की रोटी
पथ्यsसति गर्दात्स्य किं निषेवणम :
अर्थात यदि परहेज़ ही कर लिया जाए तो औषध सेवन की क्या आवशयकता है | और यदि परहेज़ ही किया जाए तो भी औषध सेवन की क्या आवशयकता है?
- Ayurvedic cure of ulcerative colitis with Natural Remedies
- How Stress can be Managed Naturally?
- Natural Diet & Herbs for Ulcerative Colitis
- Sick as a Dog: The Flu and the Ayurvedic Approach
- Is there a Natural Cure for Ulcerative Colitis?-Ulcerative Colitis Natural Remedies
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Asthma (or Tamaka Shwasa in Ayurveda)-Diet & Home RemediesNatural Cure for Ulcerative Colitis – Diet and Home Remedies