Reetha also called Soapnut is a tree plant which is mainly known for its benefits for Hair. You can easily observe the name ‘reetha’ as an ingredient. in any herbal shampoos and hair products. Do you know the benefits of reetha is much wider than just for hairs. Today we will be talking about the Health benefits of Reetha.
Appearance of Reetha plant:
The trees of reetha are up to 50 ft tall and generally of a diameter of 5 ft. The leaves are 5-12 inch long. It bears white flowers which are 1/5 inch long, hairy an d grow densely on the inflorescence. Fruits are divided into 2-3 compartments, 1/2 to 1/4 inch long, hairy when young and dark brown and shrunk when dry.
It bears seeds which are like big pea with black shiny covering.
Chemical composition of Reetha:
The fruits of reetha contain saponin, sugar and pectin which is beneficial to cure cough. Seeds have 30% fat which is used to prepare soap.
Nomenclature of Reetha:
English name– Soapnut Tree
Hindi name– Reetha
Sanskrit name– Arishtak, Raktabeej, Phenil
Family name– Sapindaceae
Botanical name– Sapindus mukorossi
There are two species of sapindus trees found. Following is the list of both ones.
1. Sapindus mukurossi-
These are the wild trees, found in Himalayan regions at the heights of 4000 ft, but in North India, Assam etc, its cultivated trees are found in the gardens, parks and near the villages.
2. Sapindus trifoliatus-
These trees are especially found in Southern India. Its fruit grow in groups of 3 fruit each. Fruits are kidney shaped and when separated, the joined part makes a heart shaped sign. When ripe, fruits become slightly reddish brown in colour.
Now, we shall be talking about the Health benefits of Reetha i.e., Soapnut plant.
Health benefits of Soapnut/Reetha:
1. Enhance Hair growth-
- Take 100 gm kapoor kachari, 100 gm nutgrass and 40-40 gm each of camphor and Soapnut tree fruits, 250 gm shikakai and 200 gm amla
- Grind them all to form powder.
- Take 50 gm of this powder and prepare paste in water.
- Apply this on hair for sometime and then rinse the hair with warm water.
- It kills the lice and makes the hair silky and soft.
- Wash the hair with mixture of reetha, amla and shikakai.
- It makes the hair silky, shiny, dandruff free and dense.
2. Helpful for Epilepsy patients-
- Grind reetha fruits with its seed, seed kernel and peel.
- Let the patient inhale this regularly.
- With the regular practice, it decreases the seizures and convulsions.
- It is also very effective to treat epilepsy completely.
3. Treatment for Asthma–
- Grind the fruits and let the patient inhale its odour.
- Or, grind the fruit along with 1-2 black pepper in water.
- Put 4-5 drops of the solution in nostrils.
- It is very beneficial in Asthma.
4. Helpful in Tooth disorders-
- Burn the seeds of reetha and then grind them.
- Mix equal amount of grinded alum to it and apply this powder on teeth.
- It cures all types of tooth disorders.
5. Reduces Migraine pain-
- Grind 1-2 fruits of reetha with black pepper.
- Put 4-5 drops in nostrils.
- It immedietely cures migraine pain.
6. Treats Conjunctivitis-
- Boil its fruits in water and apply the boiled water below the eyelids.
- It treats conjunctivitis very effectively.
7. Helpful in Diarrhoea-
- Grind 4.5 gm reetha peel in water till foam i produced.
- Give this water to the patient.
- It treats diarrhoea effectively.
8. Betrays Scorpion poison-
- Grind the kernel of its fruit and mix with equal amount of jaggery.
- Prepare tablets of 1-2 gm each.
- Give 1 tablet after every 5 minutes
- It nullifies the impact of poison.
9. Treats Body pain–
- Give 250 mg powder of its peel with squash or water.
- It cures body pain effectively.
10. For Eased Delivery–
- Crush the fruits of reetha and mix it with water.
- Make sure that it forms soup kind of liquid.
- Now dip a cotton into it and place it in front of vaginal opening.
- It results in eased and normal delivery.
All these are the benefits are usages of Soapnut. Before practicing any of these remedies, must visit the doctor nearby or an Ayurvedic physician. As every of us have different body constitution and type, so the treatment might be altered.
Hope you like the article. Share it to all. Take care and live well!