Pile is a painful condition in which lower end of rectum becomes inflamed and enlarged. Due to more inflammation, they may cause rectal bleeding. It is found mostly in middle-aged people who experience constipation regularly. How to Manage Piles at Home with Natural Diet And Home Remedies
Types of Hemorrhoids
- Internal Hemorrhoids– These are located in the inner lining of the anal region. These veins in the rectum are concealed and therefore cannot be felt and hemorrhoids are usually painless and are not visible.
- External Hemorrhoids– They are painful, visible and can be felt as well. When they get too inflamed, they start bleeding.
- Bleeding Piles– Piles which bleed are known as bleeding piles. It is a painful condition in which regular blood loss may cause anemia.
- Non- Bleeding Piles– These are dry piles in which there is no bleeding but still the pile mass can be felt and causes pain and discomfort.
Modern medicine prescribes surgery for piles but in Ayurveda, piles can be cured naturally. In Ayurveda, piles is known by the name ‘Arsh’ meaning enemy. Intake of heavy, greasy food is the reason for congestion in intestines leading to constipation and toxins formation. Ayurveda prescribes laxatives for piles as the main cause of piles is constipation which can be cured by taking laxative treatment which is 100% natural and safe and this condition can be completely cured and patient can feel comfortable within a week as this problem is very irritating and most of the patients hesitate in discussing this problem. This painful condition can even be managed at home with diet and home remedies.
According to Ayurveda, the problem of piles is classified based on Tridosha imbalance (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). It is a very painful condition and the root cause of piles is Constipation. The patient complains of hard stools and if left untreated it causes difficulty in defecation. Patient must not ignore the problem of constipation as it leads to various complications.
According to Ayurveda, the Tridoshas are aggravated and lodged in the blocked anal region which exerts pressure on the anal region and ultimately the blood vessels supplying to the anal region are dilated which results in hemorrhoids.
Ayurveda basically works on the imbalance of three doshas namely Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Imbalance in any of the three doshas results in the formation of a disease. This problem can be due to the imbalance of any of the 3 doshas.
- Piles Due to Vata Increase– There may be symptoms like- small to large pile mass in the anal region, dryness of the anus, tingling sensation, numbness, stiffness, constipation, during defecation, the sound may be heard, Indigestion, Regurgitation, Pain in the flanks etc.
- Piles Due to Pitta increase– Blue or yellow colored pile mass with thin bleeding and foul smell, burning sensation, ulceration, fever, fatigue, in severe cases yellow or green discoloration is found in skin and nails.
- Kapha increase– Broad-based thick soft white coloured pile mass with mild pain associated with itching, pain in genitalia, bladder and inguinal region, cough, breathlessness, nausea, cold fever, diarrhea may be found, in severe cases, skin and eyes may be pallor.
What are the causes of Piles?
- Intake of spicy, hot, fried and pungent foods
- Hot climate
- Day sleep
- Horse, camel riding etc.
- Sitting throughout the day
What are the symptoms of Piles?
- Blood stained stool
- The gurgling sound in the abdomen
- Reduced quantity of feces
How to Manage Piles at Home
- If the problem is due to Vata and Kapha imbalance( depending on the dosha involved), buttermilk is the best option. It can be taken up to 1 month. Buttermilk helps in cleaning the channels of circulation which helps in reaching the end- products of the food after digestion appropriately which enhances proper nourishment and strength.
- If there is no secretion from hemorrhoids, sesame oil is applied over the mass. This is done to relieve pain, swelling and size of the mass.
- Radish Juice- Grind the radish and squeeze it to make juice. Drink it every morning and evening for 7 days. This will help to relieve pain as external piles will shrink. It also controls bleeding as it is cooling in nature. It can be chewed in the form of salad.
- Radish juice and Cow’s ghee (Clarified butter)-Mix 2 teaspoons of cow ghee and 4 spoons of Radish juice and drink it instantly once in morning and once in evening.
- Zimikand(Elephant foot yam)– Make the paste of zimikand by grinding it, mix it with curd. Take it in morning and evening for 7-10 days. This will provide relief from itching.
- Plain milk and lemon juice– Squeeze half lemon and mix it with a glass of plain milk and drink it daily for 7-10 days. This will provide relief from bleeding piles.
- Leaves of Bhang(Cannabis sativa)– Crush some fresh leaves of Bhang and mix it with water to make a fine paste. Put paste on cotton swab directly on pile tags and wash the area with warm water. This will help to shrink the pile tags and inflammation will be cured within 7 days.
- Taking Triphala powder daily is very useful in haemorrhoids and anal fistula as triphala is well known for its wound healing quality. It helps in soothing the inflamed layer and further infection is prevented. Triphala also eases bowel movements.
- Long pepper– It helps in digestion thus helps in curing piles.
- A teaspoon of Haritaki( Terminalia chebula) with teaspoon of jaggery should be consumed before food once or twice a day or Haritaki can be soaked over night. It can be taken with jaggery. Haritaki can also be taken along with buttermilk.
- Coconut oil, Mustard Oil and Neem leaf– Add coconut oil, mustard oil and neem leaves to a tub containing lukewarm water. This water can be used for bathing as it will help to make a person feel relax and inflammation is also reduced.
Diet-Horse gram, cucumber, Indian gooseberry, elephant foot yam, buttermilk, goat milk must be included in the diet and hot, spicy, pungent food must be avoided. Suppression of urges, sleepless nights, horse riding,over-indulgence in sexual activities must be avoided.
Piles can be managed at home by simple remedies and by making a change in eating habits. Patient can avoid surgery as modern science has no cure for piles but in Ayurveda, this can be managed by simple home remedies.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM