Fenugreek or Methi is a multipurpose spice which is widely used in Indian Kitchen as a flavoring agent due to its strong aroma and flavor. It is not only used for cooking purpose but also have a health benefits. Health benefits include relief from anemia, Stomach disorder, respiratory disorder, insomnia, diabetes. It is also beneficial in post pregnancy in lactation. It is also helpful to reduce cholesterol levels and protect heart health and boost immune system also.
Fenugreek leaves are widely used as a leafy vegetables, which are rich source of iron, calcium, vitamins and Beta Carotnene. The health benefits are due to presence of minerals, vitamins, nutrients and powerful phytonutrients in this powerful plant.
Nutritional Value of Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek contains a wide variety of beneficial nutrients, iron, magnesium, manganese and copper as well as vitamin B6, Protein and Dietary fiber. Fenugreek also contains number of phytonutrients including choline, trigoline, yamogenin, tiogenin.
Let us have a look at the five health benefits of fenugreek seeds:
- Control of Blood Sugar levels.
- Heartburn and Acid Reflux.
- Reduce Cholesterol.
- Good for Breast feeding Mothers
1) Control of Blood Sugar Levels: Daily intake of overnight soaked fenugreek seeds may show a significant decrease in Sugar level by slowing down the digestion and absorption of Carbohydrates. Because of the presence of the galactomannan, fenugreek slows down the sugar absorption in the bloodstream.
2) Constipation: constipation gives birth too many disease itself so for a better lifestyle one should avoid constipation. Having fenugreek seeds in the morning and evening solves this problem. Due to its property of not sticking into the intestine it acts as a roughage and give rest to intestine. For Chronic constipation, one should drink fenugreek seeds water instead of plain water.
3) Heartburn and Acid Reflex: Fenugreek seeds include lot of mucilage, which helps in soothing an inflamed gastrointestinal act by being placed on the lining of intestine and stomach. Take one spoon of fenugreek seeds before eating.
4)Reduce Cholesterol: Fenugreek seeds helps to reduce the Low Density Lipoprotein (LPL) which can prevent the various condition like atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes. By reducing Cholesterol content in the bloodstream, chances of clot formation in the blood reduces. Saponins present in the seeds help to reduce the absorption of cholesterol from the food. It also helps in reduction of extra cholesterol in the body. Fenugreek is a rich source of fiber, which scrapes excess cholesterol of the arteries and blood vessels of the body.
5) Good for Breast feeding Mothers : This benefit attribute due to the presence of diosgenin in fenugreek seeds.it acts as a galactogogue (to boost milk supply). This can help in increase the milk production by the breast and magnesium , vitamin content of the fenugreek seeds also help to keep infant healthy. It used as a ground seed (high in fiber) in capsule form or tea to increase milk Production.
Planet Ayurveda provides fenugreek Capsule (500mg). It’s a standard extract. Dosage 1-2 capsules once or twice daily .Pack size: 60 Capsules.
Precaution while taking fenugreek seeds:
Methi or fenugreek seeds must be taken in proper order. The seed must be prohibited for the people who are taking medicines to slow down the blood clotting rate.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM