WHAT IS THYROID?
The thyroid in our body is a butterfly-shaped gland that is present in our neck below Adam’s apple. This thyroid gland is the chief gland of energy as well as metabolism. Thyroid hormone receptors are present in every cell of our body and hence we can think of this thyroid gland as the fundamental mechanism in the complex machine.
HYPOTHYROIDISM AND ITS CAUSES
Hypothyroidism is one of common thyroid disorders that occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones in order to meet the requirements of the body. The thyroid gland produces two thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). Both these thyroid hormones regulate the metabolism.
Hypothyroidism may occur due to the improper functioning of thyroid gland. This condition of the thyroid may also occur when thyroid gland is not being stimulated properly by the hypothalamus or pituitary gland.
HERBS FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM
Herbs are the nature’s best gifts to us in order to manage a healthy body in a natural way. Ayurvedic medicines are prepared with these herbs and hence a great option to cure any disease. In order to manage the symptoms of hypothyroidism, there are some herbs which are well explained below:
Gotukola (Cintella asiatica):
Cintella asiatica, commonly known as Gotukola, is an excellent herb for managing the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. This herb is good to maintain a healthy thyroid.
Guggul (Commiphora mukul):
The herb Commiphora Mukul produces a resinous sap, which is commonly known as gum guggul. The extract of this gum is called gugulipid. This guggulipid has been used in Ayurvedic medicines for 3000 years. This extract is helpful in the treatment of Hypothyroidism by balancing the Vata dosha of the body.
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum):
The herb trigonella foenum, also known as Methi, is not only useful for the treatment of hypothyroidism but in, fact a good option to maintain the overall health of the body. This herb is frequently used in Ayurveda for many other health benefits too.
Kalonji (Nigella sativa):
Another effective herb for Hypothyroidism is Nigella sativa which is also known as Kalonji. This herb helps to boost the immunity of the body.
Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi):
Trachyspermum ammi is another useful herb that helps to treat the hypothyroidism to some extent. Trachyspermum ammi is also known as Ajwain.
HEALTHY DIET FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM
No doubt, healthy diet alone cannot be useful for the treatment of hypothyroidism but still, avoiding some foods and including some other, can help to manage the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
- Soy, iron-rich foods, calcium supplements as well as high fiber foods should be avoided as these foods may worsen the condition of hypothyroidism.
- Certain vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach and Brussels sprouts may inhibit the absorption of thyroid medicines. Hence, these foods should also be avoided, if a person is taking medicines for the disease.
- Limit the intake of caffeine. Tobacco and alcohol should also be avoided as much as possible as these may influence the absorption of medicines for hypothyroidism.
- Antioxidants rich foods are good for hypothyroidism. Blueberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, whole grains as well as other foods that are rich in antioxidants must be included in your diet in order to manage the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Selenium rich foods are needed for enzymes that help in the normal functioning of the thyroid gland. Sunflower seeds or Brazil seeds are rich in selenium and hence should be included in the diet.
Hypothyroidism doesn’t limit a patient from following a certain lifestyle. If a person is suffering from hypothyroidism then, he can even choose to be vegetarian. He can eat protein-rich foods or he can avoid allergy-causing foods.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM