Ayurvedic medicines comprises of several herbs and ingredients; baheda is one of them. It is regarded as one of the precious and the important herb in Ayurvedic culture.
The plant of Baheda is found all over India, especially in the lower hilly areas. These are tall trees which are evergreen in nature.
Appearance of Baheda tree:
Baheda trees are 60-80 ft tall. The trunk is straight and the bark is dark brown in color. The leaves are 3-8 inch long and oval in shape. The flowers are white or yellow, 3-6 inch long inflorescence. It bears fruits which are round, 1.2 cm in diameter, brownish, hairy and taper towards the end.
Chemical composition of Baheda:
The Baheda fruit contains tannin, B-sitosterol, galic acid, chebulasic acid, mannitol, glucose, galactose, fructose and ramnose. A yellow colored shining oil comes from the seed’s kernel. The bark of Baheda plant contains tannin.
Nomenclature of Baheda:
English name– Baheda
Hindi name– Baheda
Sanskrit name– Vibhitak, Akshay, Kalidrum
Arabic name– Balelaj
Family name– Combretaceae
Botanical name– Terminalia bellirica
Now, let us see the medicinal properties of Baheda tree. As we discussed, it is an Ayurvedic herb with lots of health benefits in it. Here we will be telling you the 10 medicinal usages of Baheda tree.
Medicinal benefits of Baheda:
1. Treats Heart problems-
- Take equal quantities of powder of its fruit and Ashwagandha.
- Take 5 gm of this mixture and mix with jaggery.
- Give this to the patient, thrice a day.
- It is very beneficial in heart problems due to vata.
2. Strengthens Hairs-
- Get the oil of baheda fruit kernel.
- Massage your scalp with this oil, twice a week.
- It is extremely nutritive and strengthens your hairs.
3. Removes Eye pain-
- Prepare a paste of baheda bark with honey.
- Apply this to the eyes as liner.
- It treats eye pain.
4. Helpful cure for headache–
- Prepare 40-60 gm decoction of baheda and jawasa.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee to this decoction.
- Give this to the patient thrice a day.
- It cures headache due to pitta and kapha fevers.
- It also cures dizziness.
5. Aids in Asthma and breathing problems-
- Take the bark of Baheda and grind it to a fine powder.
- Give 4 gm of this powder to the patient.
- It cures cough and Asthma.
6. Treatment for Loss of Appetite-
- Take 3-6 gm powder of baheda fruit after meals.
- It enhances digestive power and cures loss of appetite.
- It also strengthens the stomach.
7. For Inflammation of Liver–
- Apply the paste of baheda kernel on the abdominal portion.
- It dissolves and spreads out the swelling.
8. Removes and treats Tumors-
- Roast the peel of Baheda in castor oil and grind it in strong vinegar.
- Apply this paste on the tumor.
- Within 2-3 days of application, thee tumor gets cured.
9. Cures Impotency-
- Take 3 gm baheda powder and add 7 gm jaggery in it.
- Mix well and give this to the patient twice a day.
- It enhances sexual desire and eliminates impotency.
10. Treats Diarrhoea-
- Take 2-5 gm of baheda tree bark, 1-2 cloves; grind them in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Give this to the patient three to four times a day.
- It controls loose motions.
- Or, take 2-3 roasted baheda fruits.
- It cures chronic diarrhoea problem.
So, in this way we saw numerous health benefits of Baheda plant. Guys, if everyone gets known and conscious about these miraculous herbs, then there will be no need of modern treatments! Choice is yours.
Hope you like the article. Share it all and make everyone known of these herbs and their benefits. Take care and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.