What is health? A well-being state of the body in which all functions and systems are performed with ease. Thus, good health is a synonym for a good lifestyle and a healthy diet. As we know, Nature has bestowed us with vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc. these help us to keep healthy and prevent illness. These fruits and vegetables are the vital segments of our life cycle that we consume in our diet. But, herbs are another most important ingredient of nature that we should keep on adding in our lifestyle. Out of these herbs, one of the chief herbs is Giloy that has lots of benefits.
How much are you familiar with the Giloy plant?
- It is known as climbing shrub famous with the names of amrita, Guduchi, and Tinospora cardifolia. The plant is with fleshy aerial roots, cordate and membranous leaves, greenish-yellow flowers that bloom in summer, and shiny red-colored pea shaped fruits. This plant is enriched with lots of phytochemicals like alkaloids, glycosides, steroids, sesquiterpenoid, aliphatic compound, and many more that are the reason for its fruitful properties like anti-diabetic, immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant, etc. So we can say Giloy is a great herb for mankind.
- As Giloy shows various useful properties, it helps to treat certain kinds of diseases and ailments.
10 Natural Health Benefits of Giloy
1. Giloy in eye diseases
- Giloy phytochemicals help to rectify the eye disorders and make you see without spectacles.
How to use Giloy for eye diseases
- In some parts of India, people apply Giloy to the eyes. For this, take out 10 ml juice of Giloy and mix rock salt and honey in it. Apply this on your eyes. This remedy helps to treat the problems of scleral itching, cataract, and corneal disorders.
- A decoction of Giloy can be taken with triphala. Mix some honey and peepal powder in it. Consume this two times in a day. This tonic helps to improve the eyesight.
2. Giloy in fever
- It acts as antibacterial, antiviral, and boosts body immunity that helps to treat any kind of fever.
Use of Giloy in fever
- Take 1-2 gm long pepper, honey, and 20 ml Giloy juice and drink every morning and evening.
- In case of high fever, take 40 gm Giloy, soaked into half glass of water for the whole night. Strain the solution in the morning and consume 20 ml of this solution.
3. Giloy in tuberculosis
- It is very helpful to manage tuberculosis. It can be taken as:
- Make the decoction of herbs Giloy, asparagus, Malabar nut, dashmool, balamool, winter cherry, and Indian atis. Consume up to 60 ml two times a day.
4. Giloy in treating cancer
- The phytochemicals found ingradients such as berberine, palmarin, giloinin, giloin, tinosporol, tinosporin in Giloy to treat cancer.
- In Ayurveda, it is considered that Giloy, aloe vera, and wheatgrass help to treat blood cancer.
How will it be consumed?
- Take a long piece of Giloy, a cup of wheatgrass juice, and 4-inch aloe leaf. Combine the juices of all herbs and consume regularly to manage the condition of cancer.
5. Giloy in urinary disorders
- It is famous for its diuretic, anti-periodic, alternative, and febrifuge properties. These properties help to treat urinary infections.
How to consume?
- Take 30 ml decoction of Giloy and leadwort and drink every morning and evening.
- Consume 15-20 ml of Giloy juice three times a day.
- Make the herbal decoction of herbs Giloy, satpal, triphala, and ghee. Consume in infection and fever.
6. Giloy for indigestion
- It is a great tonic that improves digestion.
How to take it?
- Take its stem and boil in water till its half volume, add 3 pinches of pippali in it. Consume 10-15 ml two times a day. It is advisable to take before food and with honey.
- We can also take a quarter teaspoon of Giloy with amla powder.
- A cup of buttermilk with Giloy powder is also beneficial.
7. Giloy in gout
To treat and manage gout giloy can be taken as
- Boil its stem in water and filter. Consume 20 -30 ml this twice a day.
- Mix Giloy extract with castor oil and consume, a great remedy for gout.
8. Anti-bacterial properties
- Giloy phytochemicals tend to show the properties of being anti-bacterial.
- In bacterial infections, it can be taken as:
- Make the decoction of its stem with basil leaves and consume regularly.
- This is very helpful to treat swine-flu.
- In the problem of heavy bleeding Giloy proved to be a tonic.
It can be taken as
- Make Giloy juice and consume it two times a day
10. Skin disorders
- It consists of anti-aging and blood purifying properties that help to keep skin smooth, wrinkle-free, and healthy.
Giloy can be taken as
- Mix some Giloy juice with amla and turmeric.