Spices plays an important role in Indian cuisine. A little tint of spices makes the food much tastier and happening. Just imagine, your delicious samosa, kachowri, chat, tikka, curries etc without spices. A kind of fade image will appear in your mind. It is advised not to have extra spicy food; actually excess of everything is bad. But limited of spices makes your food attractive which is liked by all. Here, we will be talking about one of the most common spice which is used in almost all Indian kitchens; Carom seeds.
Carom seeds also called Ajwain in Hindi is an annual herb which is originated in eastern Mediterranean. The plant is mainly cultivated in Northern India and Iran. It is a multi branched, oily and fibrous plant. It is approximately 1-3 ft tall with the linear markings on the stem. The plant bears white-coloured tiny flowers in bunches like umbrella. The root goes straight into the ground. The plant bears flowers and fruits during February-April. This very herb belongs to the cumin and parsley family.
English name- Carom seeds Hindi name- Ajowan or Ajwain Botanical name– Trachyspermum ammi Family name- Apiaceae Kingdom- Plantae Sanskrit name- Yawani, Ajmodika, Deepyak
Nutrients in Carom seeds:-
Not only the seeds, but the whole plant is filled with nutritional properties and is highly beneficial. Here, we will be describing the nutrition in Carom seeds-
- Saturated Fats
- Mono-unsaturated Fats
- Polyunsaturated Fats
- Dietary fibres
- Vitamin A, C
- Iron etc.
Uses of Carom seeds:-
- Ajwain seeds are known as one of the most important ingredients of the Indian cuisine.
- It is widely used in seasoning of chicken and fish included with coriander and mustard.
- It is also used to prepare a kind of Herbal tea called; Ajwain tea.
- The seeds are used in pickles preparations. It is widely used in Garlic, Mango,Chilli, Lemon and many other kinds of pickles.
- The seeds are also used in the preparation of snacks like biscuits, samose, kachouri amd many more.
- The seeds are also used as a mouth freshener.
- The oil extracted from the leaves are used as a cosmetic and is also the edible oil.
- Ajwain is use to prepare many dishes like chicken, halwa, vegetable fritters, fried rice and many more.
Now, lets move to the most important and concerned topic of our article which is “Medicinal benefits”. Many of us don’t knows that this plant can be highly beneficial for health. It has numerous heath benefits; some of them are listed below.
15 Medicinal benefits of Carom seeds-
1. For ear pain-
- Take 10 gm Carom seeds powder and 50 gm of sesame oil.
- Mix them well and heat.
- When tolerable hot; put 2 drops of warm oil in ears.
- It cures ear pain.
2. For Hair lice-
- Take 10 gm of Ajwain powder and 5 gm of alum.
- Mix them well in curd or butter milk.
- Apply this on hair. It kills the lice.
3. For Cough-
- Take 2-3 gm of Ajwain powder with warm milk.2-3 times a day.
- It is a very good remedy for cough, cold, headache etc.
- Or, take 5 gm ajwain and boil it in 250 gm of water.
- When the water gets half; strain the solution.
- Mix with salt and give this to the patient before going to bed.
- In case of old or phlegm cough, give 25 gm of Ajwain extract thrice a day.
- It brings relief in few days itself.
4. For Ascites-
- Soak 200 gm of Ajwain in 1 kg of cow urine and then dry it.
- Dry this and give this to the patient with cow’s urine.
- It cures the Ascites completely.
- Take Ajwain with water; it cures upset stomach and sour hiccough.
- Take Ajwain powder and Asafoetida and make a paste of it.
- Apply this paste on stomach. It relieves from Ascites, stomach gas and acidity.
5. For Cholera-
- Take 4-5 drops of Amritdhara(mix of mint and carom seeds).
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
- In cases of early cholera, take the dosage 2-3 times in every 2 hours.
6. For Malaria fever-
- In case of after fever or continued fever in Malaria, take 10 gm of Ajwain and soak in 100 gm of water for overnight.
- Next morning, warm the water; add a pinch of salt and let the patient drink this.
- Repeat this for few days.
7. For Thorn prick in children-
- Take 10 gm Ajwain seeds and mix with melted jaggery and heat it.
- Apply this on affected area and tie it.
- By doing this, the thorn will come out by itself.
8. For Influenza-
- Take 10 gm ajwain seeds and cook in 200 gm of water.
- Give 25 mg of this solution to the patient at the intervals of every 3 hours.
- Within 24 hours the patient wills tart feeling better.
9. For Dysurea-
- Take 5-6 gm of Ajwain with hot water.
- It will cure the problem of urine blockage.
- Make a paste of 10 gm ajwain and apply it on the abdominal area.
- It reduces the gas trouble, oedema and urine is released properly.
10. For Skin diseases-
- Apply a thick paste of Ajwain in affected area.
- It cures eczema, burnt scars and infected boils.
- Boil Ajwain in water; use this water to rinse the skin diseases.
- It cures the problem with regular use.
11. For Alcohol addiction-
- One who has strong urge to have alcohol should chew 10 gm of Ajwain 2-3 times a day.
12. For Piles-
- After lunch, take a glass of buttermilk with 1/2 teaspoon of Ajwain powder and 1 gm of rock salt.
- This cures piles permanently with regular usage.
13. For Insect bite-
- Apply the paste of mint extract and Ajwain on the bitten area.
- You can also apply the crushed leaves of Ajwain on the affected area.
- It releives the pain and spells the poison out.
14. For Kidney pain-
- Take 3 gm Ajwain powder with hot milk twice a day.
- It helps in relieving kidney pain.
15. For Stomach disorders-
- Take 10 gm Ajwain, 6 gm small harad, 3 gm asafoetida fried in ghee, 3 gm rock salt.
- Grind them all and give 2 gm of this powder with lukewarm water thrice a day.
- Or, take 3 gm Ajwain powder with warm water twice a day.
So guys, by reading this article you must be knowing how this simple spice plant can be so beneficial! You can simply call it a miracle herb. Well, all the remedies are hidden in your kitchen only; they are playing something like hide and seek with you! So, stay conscious and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.