A healthy person is the one who has a normal functional and metabolic activity but when these normal functions are disturbed it causes illness. Life can be lead normally with diseases by adopting a few changes in their usual lethargic style of living. Diabetes is a very common disorder these days but the good news is that living healthy with diabetes is possible. Our body’s normal functioning is disrupted when we go overboard with unhealthy habits.
LET’S LEARN ABOUT DIABETES:
Diabetes or diabetes mellitus can be categorized as a metabolic defect. Most of what we consume is converted to glucose; which is a form of sugar found in the blood. Glucose is the major source of fuel for our bodies. Diabetes is caused when the pancreas does not produce insulin or uses it inaccurately or both. When this malfunctioning of insulin occurs, it bans the entry of glucose in the cells which causes escalated glucose levels in the blood, causing a condition known as Diabetes.It is categorized under 3 types:
TYPE 1 DIABETES:
- In this type the body stops the production of insulin. Only 10% of the population is affected by this type. Type 1 has an early onset usually in teenage years or early adulthood.
- People suffering from this type have to inject insulin in themselves their entire life and follow a special meal plan.
TYPE 2 DIABETES:
- This is the most common type and 90% of people affected by diabetes are suffering from this type. Type 2 makes the person insulin resistant. It can be controlled by managing weight, following a strictly healthy diet plan, following an exercise regime and getting their blood sugar levels checked.
- But this type is an accelerating kind and eventually gets worse and the person suffering from it might end up taking insulin in the form of a tablet usually. Obese people are more prone to develop this disease. The risk keeps getting higher as we age, it’s more prone to affect people over 40 years of age.
Due to higher levels of blood glucose during pregnancy. Though it can be controlled by healthy food intake and exercise but about 15% of them might have to take medications. If it is left undiagnosed it might increase the risk of obstacles during childbirth.
AYURVEDIC POINT OF VIEW ON DIABETES:
- Diabetes Mellitus is called Madhumeh (passing of urine which has high sugar level in it). Due to increased frequency of urine it is also known as Prameh. Diabetes is considered to be a major ailment, therefore known as Maharog as it affects almost all cells in the body. Madhumeh is known to have no cure as it is an advanced stage of the disease and is caused mainly due to ill management.
- It is differentiated in 20 types according to the Doshas.
- There are 4 types under vata dosha, 6 under pitta and 10 under kapha.
- Superfluous thirst
- Excessive hunger
- Frequent urination
- Sudden weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Slow healing of wounds
- Fungal infections
- Sexual malfunction in men
- Gum disorders
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Dermatological diseases
- Ear disorders
- Fasting blood sugar
- Random blood sugar
- Fasting plasma glucose level
- Soak 2 teaspoons of fenugreek in a glass of hot water overnight and drinking this the next morning is found to be helpful in controlling diabetes type 2.
- You can also drink fenugreek tea.
- Adding sprinkled fenugreek powder over yogurt can also be consumed.
HOLY BASIL [TULSI]:
- Consuming 3- 4 basil leaves on an empty stomach or about 5ml of its juice helps in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Basil tea is also effective.
- Taking 12- 15 grams of powdered flax seeds on an empty stomach in the morning followed by 250 ml of lukewarm water reduces the amount of sugar in the blood.
- It should not be consumed more than 2 tablespoons in one day.
- In a mortar, pound the bilberry leaves and crumble them and take 100 ml of its extract right after you wake up. It visibly lowers the blood sugar levels.
- Consuming 2- 3 grams of cinnamon every day in any form can improve insulin insensitivity in a person.
- Cinnamon can be added to your meals, beverages etc.
- Cinnamon tea is also very effective.
MORINGA LEAVES[ DRUMSTICK LEAVES]:
- Wash and grind about 10 grams of Moringa leaves and collect its extract. Drinking ¼ cup of this extract every morning on an empty stomach keeps blood sugar levels under check.
BITTER GOURD [KARELA]:
- It releases a bio chemical which acts like the insulin produced by pancreas, therefore alleviates the blood sugar levels.
- Consuming this in the form of juice, cooked dish shows great results.
- Drink bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach once in every 4 days gives immediate results.
- Chewing 8- 10 leaves of this tree on an empty stomach helps to lower the blood sugar level immensely.
- For best results, consume the juice of tender shoot of this tree’s leaves.
INDIAN BLACKBERRY [JAMUN]:
- In the morning eat 5- 7 jamuns.
- Drink a lukewarm glass of water with 5 grams of jamun seeds powder. It can be consumed daily for better results.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM