High blood sugar levels occur when our body is unable to effectively transport sugar from the blood into cells. Prediabetes is a condition when blood sugar levels are above the normal but yet not enough to be considered diabetes. They are at increased risk of developing diabetes with time
Symptoms of Diabetes
- When one has high blood sugar levels, they feel increased hunger and thirst, fatigue, irritable, frequent urination, dry mouth, blurred vision and even nausea.
Type 2 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disorder.
- Diet and lifestyle changes can help reverse the blood sugar levels without the use of any medications.
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies to keep sugar levels in control. Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar can be mixed with a glass of water and taken in the morning. Apple cider vinegar can also be put on salad as dressing. It has shown to decrease fasting and post-meal blood sugar levels.
- Adding Cinnamon to food is another simple way to lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- It has a positive effect on the glycemic control and lipid profile.
- One can take cinnamon supplements to get the pure cinnamon extract. It can be taken as mixing one spoon of grounded cinnamon with warm water and drinking it once daily or one may boil raw cinnamon in 2 glasses of water and take it,
- Cinnamon can be added to warm beverages, smoothies, and even baked foods.
- A very effective home remedy to bring blood sugar level down is the use of Aloe Vera.
- It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is very helpful in controlling blood sugar levels. It can be taken as is or combined with buttermilk for better taste.
- Drinking bitter gourd juice on empty stomach is an excellent way to keep blood sugar levels low.
- It tends to influence the glucose metabolism all over the body and not just any particular organ or tissue.
- The juice of bitter gourd or bitter melon helps to increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance.
- The juice can be taken daily for 2 months for best results. One can take bitter gourd as a dish in the diet too.
- One can also mix a spoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice in a cup of bitter gourd juice and take it for few months
- A well-known home remedy to treat high blood sugar levels is the use of mango leaves.
- They help in regulating insulin levels in the blood and also help in improving blood lipid profiles.
- A drink can be prepared by soaking 15 mango leaves overnight in water and then taking the water first thing in the morning (after filtering).
- One can also dry the leaves and grind them.
- This powdered form of mango leaves can be taken as one spoon two times a day for best results.
Diet Helpful in Reducing Blood Sugar Levels:
A low carb diet
- A low carb diet is recommended to reduce blood sugar levels. Having too many carbs lead to rising in blood sugar levels as carbs are broken down into glucose.
A High Fiber Diet is Recommended
- A High Fiber Diet is Recommended. Fiber is known to slow down carb digestion and sugar absorption. Soluble dietary fiber should be taken. Vegetables(cucumber), fruits(berries, apple, papaya etc), nuts, legumes, beans and whole grains are high in fiber.
Eat a snack high in Protein
- Eat a snack high in protein as protein stabilizes blood sugar. One should opt for almonds or cheese. Lean proteins like chicken and fish help to fill you up so you are not so hungry. They help in losing weight by not overeating.
Eat chromium-rich foods
- Eat chromium-rich foods: Chromium is essential to healthy cellular function and helps insulin function properly. It is found in broccoli, oats, barley, and tomatoes.
Healthy Tips & Herbs
- Eat a low processed, Anti-inflammatory diet and refrain from pastas, desserts, sodas, breads, fried foods and full-fat milk and yogurt.
- Herbs like ginseng, fenugreek, rosemary, berberine, sage, oregano help in lowering blood sugar levels.
- They should be in included in the diet on regular basis. Fenugreek can be taken as two spoons of fenugreek seeds with water daily or it may be socked in water overnight and taken first thing in the morning (water along with seeds).
- To keep sugar levels in control, it is recommended to use herbs like turmeric, garlic, ginger, cloves, curry leaves, parsley in everyday cooking.
- The best fruit to be taken to lower blood sugar level is Jamun and its leaves also known as black plum or Indian BlackBerry.
Lifestyle changes to lower blood sugar levels include:
Getting more sleep
- Inadequate sleep makes the body less effective at using insulin. Lack of sleep is directly linked to poor food choices and thereby imbalanced energy levels. A good night sleep can improve glucose metabolism but the lack of sleep even a single night can lead to raised blood sugar levels.
Limiting alcohol intake and quitting smoking
- Alcohol contains added sugars and also dehydrates the body. Nicotine in cigarettes encourages insulin resistance and makes it harder to control blood sugar.
Exercise daily and lose weight:
- Exercising improves insulin sensitivity while losing weight helps in reducing HbA levels and improving cardiovascular health. Exercise helps muscles use blood sugar for energy and muscle contraction. Exercise improves cholesterol, decrease blood pressure, lower stress and increase energy. It is advised to do brisk walking, weight lifting, running, biking, dancing, hiking or swimming.
- Stress always contributes to changes in blood sugar levels. Practicing Yoga and Meditation are good ways to relieve stress.
- Drinking Plenty of Water is an easy way to keep blood sugar levels in healthy limits.
- The kidney’s flush out the excess blood sugar through urine.
- Water rehydrates the blood, lowers blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of getting diabetes.
Take small and regular meals at fixed times. It is very important not to skip meals
Also, Read :
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Sweet Potato
- Walking After Meals Helps Diabetes Patients Reduce Insulin Intake and Avoid Weight Gain
- Natural and Herbal Remedies for Weight Loss
- How to control your blood sugar level naturally-Top 5 home Remedies
- 12 Best Herbal Remedies for Allergy That Provide Relief
- Why Cartilage is Important in the Skeletal System (and Natural Ways to Protect It)
- How to Reverse Diabetes Naturally-Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Migraines and Headache Relief
- Everything you should know about Apple Cider Vinegar
- Top 10 home remedies for Water Retention (edema)