Zika Virus is an emerging mosquito-borne disease which is now an open challenge to the whole world. Today our discussion will be on Zika Virus information and its common things. Every one of us should be aware of this, for the safety.
What are Viruses?
A virus is a small parasite that cannot reproduce by itself. Once it infects a susceptible cell. However, a virus can direct the cell machinery to produce more viruses.
Viruses are said as the borderline between living and the non-living. As a fact, they are the most infectious pathogens of all. You can notice your self, 90% of dreadful diseases are caused due to viruses.
What is Zika Virus?
Zika virus is actually a disease, caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. It usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week but it can be found longer in some people.
As the disease of cow-pox and smallpox, once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections.
Outbreaks of Zika Virus:
It was first identified in Uganda in 1947 in rhesus monkeys through a monitoring network of sylvatic yellow fever. It was subsequently identified in humans in 1952 in Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania.
Outbreaks have been recorded in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific.
Signs and Symptoms of Zika Virus:
As every other disease, Zika Virus too has its own symptoms.
All the symptoms may vary from person to person as per the severity. They are usually mild and lasts for 2-7 days.
Transmission of Zika Virus:
It is transmitted to people through the bite of an infected mosquito from the Aedes genus, mainly Aedes aegypti in tropical regions. This is the same mosquito that transmits dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever.
Diagnosis of Zika Virus:
The diagnosis of Zika Virus includes-
- The recent history of any infection and occurring symptoms
- Laboratory testing of the presence of virus RNA in the blood
- Testing of urine and saliva sample
Vaccine for Zika Virus:
Currently, there is no vaccine available for Zika virus. The best form of treatment is to stay prevented from mosquitoes. One suffering from the disease should seek medical help and should have lots of rest.
The best thing is to stay prevented. The best form of prevention is protection against mosquito bites. Now we will be talking about the preventive measures.
Preventive measures for Zika Virus:
- Use mosquito repellent on a daily basis. You can use in the form of creams, lotions or sprays even.
- Wear light-colored clothes that cover many parts of the body as possible.
- Sleep under mosquito nets, whether it is day or night.
- Avoid mosquito breeding, clear all the pitches or any kind of open stored water.
- Pest control is very important too.
- Use neem water or phenyl in mopping, all these arrests the mosquitoes entry to your place.
Make everyone aware of Zika Virus so that everyone gets protected. One should remember that Viruses can sustain only in unhygienic and damp surroundings. Keep your area clean, so that no such thing affect our lives. Take care and Live well!
Read More :
- Dengue Fever Treatment-Management in Ayurveda
- Berries for Your Health – Add a Little More Fruit to Your Diet
- Why Cartilage is Important in the Skeletal System (and Natural Ways to Protect It)
- How to get rid of Hernia – Brief overview
- What is Diabetes and Diabetes in Ayurveda
- Homemade Multigrain Aata for Diabetes and other health issues
- Are you taking Methi correctly to fight diabetes?
- Natural Ayurvedic Herbs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Why one should swallow tulsi leaves instead of chewing
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.