An over – weight or an under – weight body is a cause of concern as person will not look good in both the circumstances. In today’s world, persons not only face health problems due to obesity but there are health problems due to loss of weight also, as thin body affects one’s personality.As good looking body is desired by all. An underweight person will have problems like- fatigue, low immunity, anemia etc.
According to Ayurveda, people having thin body have Vata type constitution. These people are thin and lean by birth. Weight gain in this type of Prakriti is usually not seen but those people who have thin body due to poor nutrition or poor digestive system can gain weight naturally by home remedies.
There is a detailed description on how to gain weight in Ayurveda in Chapter 21 of Charak Samhita sutra sthan. It is called as Ashtau Nindineeya Adhyaya. It deals with eight types of undesirable body constituents in which lean body is one of them.
According to Charaka, weight gain is required in the following persons:
- Those who are suffering from tissue depletion or degeneration.
- Old aged people.
- Those suffering from external or internal injuries
- People doing strenuous exercise
- Those who are emaciated
- In extreme summer
Causes of lean body according to Sage Charaka
- Rooksha Annapana – Consumption of food and drinks that are dry in nature.
- Kriya Atiyoga – Excessive Panchkarma therapies.
- Shoka – Grief
- Langhana – fasting for long periods of time.
- Prakruti- natural constitution
- Rookshasya Udvartana- performing powder massage on a natural dryness in a person
- Jara – old age
- VikaraAnushaya – continued illness
- Krodha – anger
In Chapter 4 of Sutrasthan, Acharaya Charaka (father of Indian medicine) explains ingredients of Brimhaneeya Mahaakashaaya (that which brings about an increase in the body dimensions or increases weight is called Brumhana).
Acharaya Charaka described 10 Brimhanneya Dravyas based on their excellence in their weight promoting qualities. These Dravyas are
(i) Ipomoea paniculata (Vidari, Milky yam)
(ii) Euphorbia hirta (Dugadhika, Snakeweed)
(iii) Withania somnifera (Ashwgandha, Indian ginseng)
(iv) Roscaea procera (Kaakoli)
(v) Lillium polphyllum (Ksirakakoli, White Himalayan Lily)
(vi) Sida cordifolia (Bala, Country mallow)
(vii) Sida rhomifolia (Nagbala, Arrowleaf)
(viii) Thespesia lampas (Kapas, Common mallow)
(ix) Pueraria tuberosa (Vidarikanda, Indian kudju)
(x) Argyreia speciosa (Vidhara, Elephant creeper)
Person should keep in mind that if his/her digestive power is poor, he cannot gain weight even if he takes nutritious food in his/her diet as Ayurveda believes that imbalance of digestive fire (Agni) is the root cause of many diseases. It is this Agni which is the energy behind all the metabolic processes of the body. If a person has lost weight due to anemia, poor nutrition then his or her weight can be gained by simple home remedies but if a person has lost weight due to any disease like- thyroid, poor digestion, stress etc. then firstly root cause of the disease is to be corrected. Various emotional factors or bad eating habits such as small meals, skipping meals, inadequate exercise can also cause weight loss. Stress is also one of the main reason for weight loss.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE –HOW TO GAIN WEIGHT
It must be understood that there is no shortcut to gain weight. It will vary according to the body type of the individual. It will take time so various protein shakes and other synthetic supplements must not be taken for weight gain. It must be tried naturally.
Here are simple ways to gain weight naturally using home remedies
- Regular intake of cow’s ghee in diet helps to gain weight.
- Include bananas and milk in diet.
- Intake of dairy products like- cheese, curd etc. is helpful in gaining weight.
- A fruit mixture prepared from dates, dry grapes, amla (Indian gooseberry)and pomegranate helps in gaining weight. 1 tsp of this mixture can be taken twice a day. Sugar can be added according to taste.
- Use of soy bean in diet helps to gain weight as it is an excellent source of protein.
- Pomegranate juice helps in gaining weight. A glass of pomegranate juice must be taken regularly. It helps in providing physical and mental strength. It also helps in improving digestion.
- Include spices such as ginger, black pepper, cloves, garlic, cinnamon in diet. These spices help to improve digestion.
- Frequent usage of black gram, freshly harvested rice, winter melon etc. helps in gaining weight.
- 3-4 dates taken regularly with warm milk helps in gaining weight.
- Regular oil massage with sesame oil is recommended for weight gain as it helps in improving muscle strength and relaxes the body.
- Sleep and stress free life is very important. If there is weight loss due to stress, then practice Pranayama and do Meditation. Adequate rest is also necessary.
- To put on weight, eat only when you are hungry.
- Do not drink water before or after food.
- Mango shake is one of the best options for gaining weight. Take a glass of mango shake daily for atleast one month for gaining weight. Mangoes must not be sour.
- Various yogic exercises like- Sarwangasana, Halasana, Matsyasana are helpful in gaining weight.
- Walk at least for 30 minutes. It will help to improve the appetite.
- Take small and healthy meals after 2-3 hours throughout the day.
- Soak dry grapes water overnight. Take these dry grapes in the morning with warm milk. It will also help in increasing the hemoglobin.
Diet – Take diet rich in proteins, vitamins and unsaturated fats. Avoid stress in your life. If there is stress in life, then various healthy diets are of no use.
One must not be lured by the advertisements in the newspapers and on the internet which claim to gain weight in just few days. Many youngsters get attracted to these advertisements for body building etc. and start taking these products without any consultation which results in various adverse effects. One must remember that weight gain is a natural process and it cannot be gained so quickly. Weight can be gained by correcting the cause for weight loss and gain weight naturally using home remedies without any side effects.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM