Fruits and Vegetables are consumed by every human being. These help to quench our hunger and also provides certain vitamins and minerals to our body. Vegetables are important protective food and highly beneficial for the maintenance of health and prevention of disease. Here, we will be talking about a green vegetable which tastes bitter but is highly beneficial for health. Yes, we will talk about the health benefits of Bitter Gourd.
The appearance of Bitter Gourd
Nomenclature of Bitter Gourd
Hindi name– Karela
Sanskrit name– Karvellak, karvelli, Katphala
Gujrati name– Karelo, Kadhwa
Family name– Cucurbitaceae
Botanical name– Momordica charantia
Nutrients in Bitter gourd
- Dietary fibres
- Vitamin A, B-Complex, B1, B2, B3, C, K
Uses of Bitter Gourd
Being multi-purpose in nature, bitter gourd is used in multiple ways. Some of them are listed below-
- Bitter gourd is used to prepare one of the tasty dry/curry item called “Bharwan karela” or “Stuffed bitter gourd”.
- Bitter gourd is used to prepare fried curry; which tastes very simpler and can be easily eaten with rice as a lunch item.
- It is used to prepare one of the detoxifying drink called; Bitter gourd juice. It tastes very bitter but is extremely good.
- The young shoots and leaves are also eaten as a salad and used as the greens.
- You can use it in soups and herbal tea.
- You can cook it as a curry with yoghurt to balance its bitterness.
Now, we shall be proceeding to the Health benefits of bitter gourd. Here, we will be talking 12 benefits which are extremely reliable and good for health.
12 Health benefits of Bitter gourd
1. Good for headache
- Take 10-12 ml juice of Bitter gourd leaves.
- Mix it with cow’s ghee.
- Now, apply this paste on the forehead.
- It cures a headache.
2. Treats Eye disorders
- Bitter gourd is extremely beneficial in the case of night blindness and haziness.
- Take a rusting iron vessel and rub the juice of its leaves and black pepper in it.
- Collect the solution and apply it as eyeliner in the ways.
- Also, apply it around the eyes, it treats many types of eye disorders too.
3. Helpful in case of Vomiting
- Extract the juice of its leaves.
- Give 10-12 gm of the juice with a little amount of vinegar and rock salt mixed in it.
- It cures Vomiting and purgation related disorders.
4. Enhances Galactagogue
- Boil 20 gm of its leaves.
- Strain the solution and give it to the lactating woman.
- It increases the production of milk and also purifies the blood.
5. Treats Arthritis
- Give 10-15 ml of Bitter gourd juice to the patient regularly.
- Or, give its fruits with mustard seeds and salt mixed in it.
- It is very beneficial in curing Arthritis.
6. Good for Diabetes
- Give 10-12 gm juice of its fresh fruits regularly.
- In the diet of a diabetic patient, include cooked bitter gourd. It is extremely helpful.
- Give 3-6 gm of its powder with water or honey.
- It helps to activate the pancreatic cells and enhances the production of insulin.
7. Treats Jaundice
- Take 10-15 ml of juice of its leaves.
- Mix it with powdered black myrobalan.
- It is beneficial in curing Jaundice.
8. Useful in Paediatric Nausea
- Take 6 gm juice of Bitter gourd leaves.
- Mix a little amount of turmeric in it.
- It causes vomiting thus resulting in the cleansing of the stomach.
9. Cure for Intestinal worms
- Extract the juice from 10-12 Bitter gourd leaves.
- Give it to the patient.
- It should be given daily; once a day. ‘
- It kills the worms in intestines.
10. Treats Skin disorders
- Take the whole plant, cinnamon, black pepper and oil of wild almonds.
- Grind all these together and apply on the affected area.
- It cures itching and such related skin disorders.
- A paste of its root is helpful in curing small boils, acne and eruptions.
11. Helpful in Paediatric Pneumonia
- Extract the juice of bitter gourd and slightly warm it.
- Give 10-12 ml of the juice with a little amount of pure saffron.
- Give this dosage thrice a day.
12. Treats Fever due to cold
- In the case of seasonal fever or fever due to cold.
- Give 10-15 ml of Bitter gourd juice with a little amount of cumin powder in it.
- Give this to the patient thrice a day.
Very good article
Thank you for the comment.
Thank you for this well written article.
You are really contributing a lot on this link. These information is very much useful. I really reading these articles. They are very interesting. These articles capture the greatness of a generation convinced of its own greatness. Good perspective of network. That is amazing. Well done.