Colon cleansing herbs are laxatives which improve the bowel movements and stimulate the colon to eliminate the toxins, parasites and mucous from the colon. Colon cleansing with herbs is absolutely safe as it does not produce any adverse effects. Due to the stuck of waste products inside the intestines, there will be complications. Colon cleansing is necessary for the proper functioning of human body. It helps the body to get rid of undigested wastes that could obstruct the colon’s pathway. It also helps the body to eliminate the chances of getting colon cancer.
- Ayurveda recommends internal cleaning of the body during a change of seasons but detox is considered highly beneficial during spring season because it is the time during which nature rejuvenates itself.
There are three types of toxins that can impact the physiology:
- Ama—It is the most common type of toxin which is a waste product of incomplete digestion which is caused by eating foods that are not suitable for the person’s body type or season or by eating before the previous meal is digested. It is white in colour, sticky and foul smelling.
If “Ama” continues to be produced over a long period of time, it travels to the weak area of the body and settles there. It blocks the micro-circulatory channels and thereby disrupts the flow of nutrients to that area
- Amavisha—Amavisha is the more reactive form of “Ama” that forms when Ama settles in one part of the body for a long time and mixes with the dhatus or mal there. This is more toxic than Ama and must be dealt with differently during detoxification.
- Garvisha—Garvisha is a 3rd type of toxin which comes from outside, unlike the other two toxins. Examples of Garvisha are—environmental pollution, chemicals, preservatives used in junk food, genetically modified foods, toxins from spoiled foods etc.
To prepare the body for detoxification, first balance the Agni or digestive fire. If a person has low agni, then digestive fire enhancing herbs must be taken. Sometimes, persons have irregular agni meaning sometimes it is high and sometimes it is low. This condition is generally associated with Vata imbalance.
Benefits of Colon Cleansing are
- Good skin texture
- Proper digestion
- Improved energy and vitality
- Helps to get rid of obesity
- Curbs diarrhea and constipation
- Triphala Powder— Triphala powder is a simple combination of Amla, Baheda, and Harad. It is a very good anti-oxidant and helps to remove toxins from the intestine.
- Cow’s ghee—1 teaspoon of cow’s ghee should be taken regularly.
- Aloe vera—Regular use of aloe vera pulp in the diet helps to cleanse the colon.
- Indian Senna (Cassia angustifolia) – The plant Senna is a native to Sudan country. The plant was brought into use by Arabian physicians for removing capillary congestion. This herb is mainly used as a blood purifier, laxative and to treat skin diseases. This plant removes excess Pitta from the body and also removes Vata through anal route. The dried leaves of Indian Senna is used as a purgative. The powder of the leaf in the dosage of 1-2 gm is taken with hot water in conditions of constipation and abdominal distention.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)—Usually all spices with pungent taste increase Vata dosha except Pippali (long pepper fruit) and ginger. It relieves constipation, improves digestion strength, relieves gas, fullness of abdomen, bloating, cleanses and clears white coating of tongue.
- Papaya (Carica papaya)—Papaya fruit is an excellent anti-oxidant. The ripened fruit of papaya is consumed to clean colon and raw papaya is consumed as a vegetable to treat intestinal worms.
- Barberry—It is a bitter tonic that help to support the liver functions and cleanse a congested bowel. It has been used in the traditional system of medicine for its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Psyllium—Psyllium is a bulk-forming laxative which is a natural element that is rich in soluble fiber. Psyllium husks help to get rid of excess waste.
- Katuki (Picorrhiza kurroa)– It is used in purgation (Virechana Panchkarma) procedure. Charak has classified Katuki among the group of herbs that are piercing and cause purgation. It acts as a potent liver stimulant. It is very useful in relieving intestinal worm infestation. Worsens diadiarrhea it should be used carefully.
- Aloe vera—It is anti-toxic and has a mild laxative action. Regular use of aloe vera in the form of capsules or juice is very useful in colon cleansing.
- Colon Cleansing Pack by Planet Ayurveda— For easy convenience, Planet Ayurveda offers Colon Cleanse herbal formulations like—Triphala Capsules, Yakritplihantak Churna and Kumari Saar. These all together work in a synergistic manner to open the channels and removes the endotoxins out from the body, improves circulation and also enhances body’s stamina.
- Triphala Capsules of Planet Ayurveda are the pure extracts of Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) and Amla (Emblica officinalis)
Pack Size—Each bottle contains 60 capsules in it.
Dosage—2 capsules 2 times a day with plain water after meals.
Yakrit Pilhantak Churna
This powder of Planet Ayurveda contains the formulations of 8 ingredients. These ingredients include—
- Bhumi Amla – Phyllanthus niruri
- Katuki – Picorrhiza kurrao
- Makoy—Solanum indicum
- Punarnava—Boerrhavia diffusa
- Kalmegh—Andrographis paniculate
- Kaasni—Cichorium intybus
- Sharpunkha—Tephrosia purpurea
- Bhringraj—Eclipta alba
Pack Size—Each bottle contains 200 gm of powder in it.
Dosage: Half to one teaspoonful 2 times a day with plain water or fruit juice after meals.
- Kumari Saar of Planet Ayurveda contains pure Aloe vera in it. Aloe vera juice not only helps to maintain a healthy colon but also supports overall health of the body.
Pack Size: Each bottle contains 250 ml of juice in it.
Dosage: 3 teaspoonfuls with an equal amount of water to be taken 2 times a day.
Diet: A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is good for the healthy colon. Whole grains are also good for the colon. Drinking plenty of water is also recommended for healthy colon.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM