Belly fat is nothing to joke about because carrying extra weight especially belly fat can be risky. Belly fat is more dangerous fat. The trouble with belly fat is that it is not limited to extra layer of skin (sub-cutaneous fat). It also includes visceral fat – which lies deep inside the abdomen, surrounding the internal organs.
For women, after menopause, body fat tends to shift to the abdomen. Research shows that belly fat can carries serious health issues but the threats posed by belly fat can be reduced by home remedies.
Regardless of the overall weight, having a large amount of belly fat increases the risk of—
- Insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Sleep apnea
- Colorectal cancer
What are the causes of belly fat?
- Aging – Aging plays a major role as muscle mass might diminish slightly with age but the fat increases. Loss of muscle mass also decreases the rate at which the body loses calories. In women, there is an increase in belly fat even if they aren’t gaining weight. It is likely due to a decreasing level of estrogen which appears to influence where fat is disturbed in the body.
- Heredity – The tendency to gain weight around the waist and have an apple rather than a pear shape might be due to genetic causes.
- Sedentary lifestyle – Sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical exercise lead in increase in overall weight as well as fat around waist.
- Eat Healthy Diet – Eat more plant based fruits such as – fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Limit the intake of saturated fat like – fat in dairy products.
- Avoid Sugary Beverages – Avoid all canned drinks, soft drinks, tea and coffee.
- Include physical activity in daily routine – For most healthy adults, it is mandatory to do aerobic activities such as- brisk walking for at least 150 minutes a week or vigorous aerobic activity for at least 75 minutes a week.
- Lemon – Lemon detoxifies the body and when it is mixed with warm water, it works best by strengthening the liver and helps in softening the fat around the waist. Take lukewarm water mixed with lemon juice empty stomach in the morning.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar helps in disposing stomach fat. Its corrosive property helps in better assimilation of protein thereby helps in the production of hormones. It is one of the best medium for the break-down of fat cells. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and take before meals twice or thrice a day.
- Triphala – Triphala powder is a very common and effective ayurvedic product. It is prepared by mixing three fruits – Amalki, Bibhataki and Haritaki in equal proportions. Amalki diminishes the body aggravation and expands lean body mass and also keeps up glucose levels, Haritaki removes toxins from the body and Bibhataki reduces aggregation of fat and liquids in the body. ½ teaspoon of Triphala powder can be mixed with warm daily to lessen belly fat.
- Almonds – Almonds are the power house of supplements like – protein, magnesium, fibre and Vitamin-E. Therefore, when you are taking enough protein, you create lean bulk which helps in smouldering the fat. If a person is taking lemon juice in the morning, wait for about 30 minutes before taking soaked almonds. Soak 6 almonds in water over-night and take them in the morning.
- Aloe vera – Constant use of aloe vera juice builds the digestive system, consequently helping in decreasing muscle to fat ratio. It also detoxifies the body by purifying the digestive framework and further decreasing weight. Take 30 grams fresh aloe vera juice empty stomach in the morning. But don’t take in excess as aloe vera when taken in excess can have purgative effect. Persons with hypertension should not take aloe vera juice in excess.
- Water – Drink plenty of water every day. Drinking water after regular intervals will help to boost metabolism and remove toxins from the body.
- Stay away from white – Replace white rice and white sugar with various wheat products. Include brown rice, brown bread, wholegrains and oats in diet.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM