In the changing seasons, running nose, throat infection, sneezing becomes common due to weak immunity. In addition to nasal allergies, skin problems are being increased in recent days. Skin problems appears to be significantly resulted due to unwholesome food habits and bad food combinations. Chemical contacts and allergic substances have direct impact over this. Various skin allergies are also becoming common. According to modern medicine, cause of various skin diseases is unknown in many of their aspects. Previously, the principal role in its cause and pathogenesis was attributed to nervous system, endocrine glands, allergic state of body, hereditary factors etc. In modern medicine, there is no cure for allergy. But in Ayurveda, allergies can be completely cured.
Concept of Allergies according to Ayurveda
- According to ayurveda, various seasonal allergies can be due to- low digestion strength, increase of Kapha dosha in the body, external factors such as- pollen, dust etc. , wrong food combinations, long term intake of drugs like- aspirin leading to depleted immunity. Nasal allergy is mainly due to Kapha-Vata imbalance. The concept of Ama and wrong food combinations also predict the allergic conditions. Ama is formed by impaired digestion and metabolism. Various wrong food combinations like- taking fish with milk, taking ice-creams and other deserts at night, clarified butter with honey leads to allergies.
- First of all, Vata, Kapha imbalance, constipation removal is necessary. Ayurvedic remedies start to show improvement within 2 days. Ayurvedic treatment for allergies include- strengthening of immunity, administration of digestion strength, medicines to improve respiratory immunity and strength. Ayurveda describes a skin disease called “Vicharchika”, which can be co-related with eczema. It is a spreading type of skin eruption with itching.
- Ayurvedic treatment of skin allergies include- Vamana(vomitingtreatment), Raktamakshana(bloodletting), Virechan(purgation treatment).
Causes of skin allergies
- Intake of radish and garlic with milk
- Continuous intake of aquatic and marshy flesh with milk.
- Use of Pippali with curd and ghee
- Use of reddish with jaggery
- Intake of food products having sour taste with milk
- Intake of honey and meat after taking hot diet and vice-versa
- Withholding of natural urges
Symptoms of skin allergies
- Roughness of the skin
- Discoloration of skin
- Mild burning
- Redness of the skin
- Decreased sweating or excess sweating
Symptoms of nasal allergies
- Continuous heavy sneezing
- Nasal congestion
- Nasal discharge
- Itching in nasal and oral region
- Tear in eyes
Causes of nasal allergies
- Low digestion strength
- Weak immunity
- Wrong food combinations
- Exposure to humidity, dust, cold
- External factors such as- pollen
- Dusting powders of herbs like – turmeric, acacia, neem is very useful in reducing excessive secretion and oozing of the skin.
- Cream prepared from 100 gm of neem oil mixed with 100 ml of sesame oil and 50 gm of turmeric powder gives relief in all skin allergies.
- Water decoction of Triphala is extremely useful to calm down the symptoms of skin allergies.
- Turmeric is widely used in the treatment of allergic skin conditions, itching skin disorders, blisters, fungal skin infections, skin diseases due to skin in contact with cold objects. Take a pinch of turmeric and add it to a cup of milk. Drink this empty stomach in the morning. If you are allergic to milk, it can be taken with water also.
- For nasal allergy, take tea made of basil leaf and mint leaf.
- Giloy(Tinospora cordifolia) is an immuno-modulator. Fresh giloy leaves boiled in water can be taken for frequent nasal allergies.
- Take extract of ajwain, black pepper and poppy seeds to combat nasal allergy.
- Include herbs like- ginger, black pepper in diet.
- Regularly take inhalation of steam.
- A pinch of turmeric and ginger powder added to a cup of sour buttermilk after food is useful for various skin diseases.
- Add 2 pinches of turmeric to 4 teaspoons of ghee. Apply a very thin layer of this ghee-turmeric mixture to the inner sides of both nostrils. This looks a bit uncomfortable but the results are quite good.
- Put a small teaspoon of turmeric powder in a hot pan and inhale fumes. It helps to reduce inflammation of upper respiratory tract.
- The best way to get rid of allergies is to consume more turmeric in diet. Making a habit of using atleast few pinches of turmeric in diet is a best way to get rid of allergies.
- There is a herb called Khadira which is used in wide range of skin disorders. Bathing with water prepared from Khadira is very useful in reducing the symptoms of skin allergies.
Diet- For nasal allergies
- Diet- For nasal allergies, take light food, lukewarm water, foods that destroy Kapha dosha like- little spicy food, legumes, soups, saindhav salt must be included in diet. Avoid heavy, fermented, congestive food, too hot or too cold food, non-vegetarian food, bananas, sweets, curd, yogurt, ice-creams, cakes, deserts must be avoided. Various Ayurvedic oils like- Anu taila or shadbindu taila is administerd as nasal drops commonly known as nasal therapy in ayurveda.
For skin allergies
- For skin allergies, various herbs which are bitter, Pitta balancing with blood purifying and having skin soothing benefits are recommended like- Manjishtha( Rubia cordifolia), Khadira( Acacia catechu), Chandana(Santalum album), Guduchi( Tinospora cordifolia), Kutaja( Holarrhena antidyscentrica), Daruharidra( Berberis aristata) are recommended. In addition to this, light food, bitter vegetables, old grams, barley wheat must be included in diet.
- Excess of milk and dairy products cause increase in Kapha dosha leading to itching and exceesive secretion must be avoided. Excess intake of sour foods like- curd, citrus fruits must be avoided as it will cause Pitta imbalance.
- For external application, various ayurvedic oils are available like- Karanja taila, lakshadi taila etc. and for internal administration various medicines like- mahatikata kashaya( herbal decoction with a collection of bitter herbs), gandhak rasayan, maha manjishthadi kwaath, triphala guggul, khadirishta, patoladi kashaya and many more. It is advised to take medicines as per the opinion of an expert ayurvedic physician.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM