Shwet-Pradar(Leucorrhoea) refers to the excessive vaginal discharge experienced by most of women in their reproductive years. Discharge may be thick or thin depending on the situation. It should be understood that when vaginal discharge occurs at the onset of puberty or before the onset of menstruation, it is considered normal as it helps in lubrication and maintains pH level.
Sometimes discharge can be seen in infants. This is due to maternal estrogen which disappears after sometime. But if the discharge is thick having foul smell,green or yellow in color then it is the indicator of a disease. Excessive vaginal discharge occurs due to infection of uterus. It is a condition which involves the wasting of body tissues which results in deterioration of female health day by day. If not treated, it can lead to infertility.
Sometimes lack of proper guidance and treatment makes the disease worse which leads to various complications but according to Ayurveda, this disease can be cured by simple home remedies. Female reproductive system is more prone to infections. Moreover women tend to sweat more in that area which increases the chances of infection and inflammation.
Unfortunately, most women feel shy to discuss this problem even with doctors. That’s why the treatment of vaginal discharge could be a bit of challenge.
According to Ayurveda:
This disease can be through the imbalance of Vata, Pitta or Kapha imbalance or imbalance of all three doshas(Sannipataja) is involved depending on the Prakriti(body type of individual). All these conditions can be easily treated through home remedies for Leucorrhoea.
- Discharge due to imbalance of Vata- Discharge will be light, little and there will be intense pain.
- Discharge due to imbalance of Pitta- Discharge may be yellow, green,red, black due to inflammation. Discharge is profuse in this case. Burning sensation is observed.
- Discharge due to imbalance of Kapha- Discharge may be heavy, thick, slimy.
- Discharge due to imbalance of all three doshas(Sannipataja)- Discharge having mixed features of all three doshas mentioned above and may be yellow in color and appears similar to the mixture of honey and ghee.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea:
- White scale like vaginal discharge
- Back pain
- Burning sensation
- Dark patches under the eyes
- No glow on the face
- Irritation and itching in the genital area
Causes of Leucorrhoea:
- Lack of proper nutrition
- Unhygienic conditions, Infection
- Intake of incompatible foods
- Strenuous exercise like- long walk, horse riding etc.
- Alcohol intake
- Structural defects in the reproductive organs
- Hormonal imbalance
- Irritation from Intrauterine Contraceptive Devices
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Complications of Leucorrhoea:
- Vata disorders, if it persists for long time
- Removal of uterus
Home Remedies for Leucorrhoea
1. Banana if taken early morning and empty stomach mixed with honey for 10-15 days can provide relief. Banana is astringent in nature and has cooling properties.
2. Milk mixed with turmeric can provide relief because of its astringent properties. According to Charak, turmeric is Krimighana(group of herbs that relieve worm/microbial infestation) because it contains alkaloid curcumin. Because of its hot potency, it balances Vata and Kapha doshas. Because of its dryness, pungent and bitter taste, it balances Kapha. Due to its bitterness, it balances Pitta. Hence it balances all the three doshas. Pitta dominant people may experience excess body heat with turmeric but coldness of milk will balances it.
3. A decoction made from rice water is the age old and effective natural home remedy for Leucorrhoea. Boiled rice water can be taken twice or thrice a day daily for 10-15 days. If there is debility, 5-10 gm of jaggery and cumin seeds are added to it and cooked for 5-10 minutes.
4. Phitkari(Potash alum) is an excellent antiseptic. It has been used for cleaning vagina since ages. Maintaining proper hygiene is very important.
5. Chewing betel nut after meals is a part of ancient Indian custom as it is mentioned by both Charaka(Father of Indian Medicine) and Sushruta(Father of Surgery). It balances both Vata and Pitta. It is astringent and contains an alkaloid- Arachic acid. It accelerates healing process. Eating Puga(Betel nut) after meals or with warm milk for 10-15 days can provide relief. It balances Vata and Pitta doshas.
6. 1 tsp of coriander seeds may be soaked in a glass of water overnight and drink it in the morning for 1 week. It balances all the three doshas- Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
7. For vaginal washing, a douche can be made by boiling 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 L of water for half an hour and then filter it. The leaves are used both internally and externally due to its good properties.
8. Amla(Emblica officinalis) juice mixed with honey can be taken for 10-15 days. It is Sarvadoshaghna(balances all the three doshas- Vata, Pitta, Kapha). It has five tastes excluding salt taste. It balances Vata due to its sour taste. It balances Pitta dosha due to coldness and sweetness properties. It balances Kapha dosha due to its dryness and astringent properties. It is anti-aging and rejunvenative. Charaka has also mentioned Amla as the best anti-aging herb.
9. For irritation and vaginal discharge, boil fresh guava leaves in 1 L of water for half an hour. Allow it to cool and apply on vagina.
10. Boiled lady finger(Okra) can be taken for 10-15 days for curing the disease. It helps in maintaining normal flora.
Prevention & Tips
Diet- Avoid fried and spicy foods, alcohol intake. Include red rice, green gram, date fruits, amla, milk, cow’s ghee, coconut water in diet and drink lots of water. Daily walk for 30 minutes in the morning is also beneficial and maintain proper hygiene. Excess sexual indulgence must be avoided.
Modern medicine prescribes various antibiotics for curing this disease which can provide temporary relief from leucorrhoea but chances of infection occurring again and again is always there. Ayurveda provides long lasting relief from this disease. Light exercise like- Pranayam is recommended along with home remedies for leucorrhoea.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM