In this planet, there are many herbs which are rich in health benefits. Today we will be telling about a plant, of same category. It is called ‘Nagarmotha‘.
You are going to be surprised of its health benefits. It is also called Nut grass in English, and is used in different Ayurvedic preparations.
Appearance of Nut grass:
It is a perennial plant and belongs, to the straw family. This is a small bush which grows up to 1-3 ft tall, with long leaves which grow from thin underground stem.
The stem has edible roots that are oval and 1/2 inch in diameter. These are fragrant, yellow on the outside and white outside.
Where it is found?
Nagarmotha is found all over India, near water bodies up to the heights of 6000 ft. It is mostly found in the damp grounds on canal and river banks. The plant flowers in July and produces fruits in December.
Chemical composition of the plant:
The fruit contain a fragrant tasty oil. In addition, they have proteins, starch and other carbohydrates.
Properties of Nagarmotha-
It is sour, bitter, pungent and slightly non-unctuous. It alleviates kapha and pitta, blood disorders, thirst, fever and lack of appetite. It is anthelmintic in nature and cure oedema, skin disorders and other disorders.
Nomenclature of Nagarmotha:
English name– Nut-grass
Hindi name– Nagarmotha
Sanskrit name– Mustak, Varid, Kacharuha
Family name– Cyperaceae
Scientific name- Cyperus scariosus
Now, we shall be moving to the health benefits of Nagarmotha. The benefits are really amazing and will help you a lot.
Health benefits of Nagarmotha herb:
1. Improves Lactation-
- Boil nut grass in water and give this to the lactating woman.
- It increases the production of milk, and purifies it naturally.
- Or, grind fresh nut grass and apply on the breasts of the woman.
- It improves lactation.
2. Enhance Interest in food-
- Prepare decoction of 10-10 gm each of nut grass and pittapapada.
- Give this to the patient, every morning and evening 1 hour before meals.
- It cures the fever, enhance digestive power and also, develops interest in food.
3. Treatment for Urinary disorders-
- Prepare decoction of equal quantities of nut grass, Berberis, Aristata, deodar and triphala.
- Give this to the patient, every morning and evening.
4. Aids in Fever-
- Give a decoction, prepared by nut grass and tinospora to the patient. It cures Fever.
- Or, prepare decoction of 10-10 gm each of nut grass, ginger root and chiretta.
- Give this to the patient.
- It cures kapha, vata, indigestion and fever.
- It also improves the digestion power.
5. Cures T.B cough-
- Take equal quantities of ripe fruits of nut-grass, long pepper and yellow berried night shade.
- Grind them all and give with ghee and honey to the patient.
- It is very beneficial in curing T.B cough.
These were the health benefits of Nut grass. It is really a miraculous herb, that everyone should use. Hope you like the post! Share it to all and do share your experience with us. Take care and live well!