Anything produced from earth has some peculiar health as well as medicinal benefits in it. Food we consume is mend with roots, shoots, leaves, fruits, flowers as well as the seeds. Many of us don’t know, but these seeds are highly beneficial to us. Here, we will be talking about the benefits of a crop plant which is mostly known for its seeds. It is called ‘Linseed or Flax seeds’.
What is Linseed?
Linseed is a crop plant which is grown all over India along with rabi crop. It is also grown in Himachal Pradesh at a height of 6000 ft. The linseed colour ad size varies from place to place. It differs due to the texture of soil, environment and climatic conditions. White, Yellowish-red and brownish shade are the various colours of Linseed. The best quality of Linseed is considered to be those who are grown in warmer areas. The fibre of linseed is used for weaving clothes.
Appearance of Linseed and Crop:-
Linseed is an annual plant which also a herb and is 2-4 inch tall, straight and soft in texture. The leaves are striped and spear-like in shape with a pointed tip. The tip part contains the fruits has three compartments. It is a flowering plant which bears pretty sky blue, small flowers. The flower has five chambers or petals and each chamber has two shining flat dark brown seeds. The flowers and fruits come in winter by February-March; which indicates that the crop is ready for harvesting. The seed is mildly fragrant, smooth, warm and pungent.
Nomenclature of Linseed:-
English name– Linseed or Flax seeds
Hindi name– Alasi, Tease
Sanskrit name– Alasi, Neel Pushpi, Kshuma, Uma, Pichchala
Persian name– Tukhme Kattan, Jagira
Telugu name– Bittu, Atasee
Family name– Linaceae
Botanical name– Linium usitatissimum
What is the difference between Linseed and Flax seeds?
What is the difference between linseed and flaxseed? Linseed and flaxseed are often confused. Flax is grown as a fibre plant that is used for linen. Linseed is grown for its seed to make oil. The flax plant is taller than linseed and is pulled by hand or nowadays by machine. When you see products called flaxseed or flaxseed oil it will almost certainly be linseed or linseed oil. The linseed plant is shorter and generally has a bigger seed with more oil. The latin name for linseed Linum usitatissimum means most useful, and it has been used in all its forms for many thousands of years.
Nutritional elements in Linseed:-
Many times we have come to know that Linseed or Flax seeds are very useful for health. Let’s have a look to the nutrients present in Flax seeds or Linseed;
- Dietary Fibres
- Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C
- Sugars etc.
Note: Flax seeds are good for humans but can be dangerous for animals. Seeds contain a poisonous glucoside, which is why when animals consume Linseed, they die. It must not be consumed in large quantities. It is purgative and cures many diseases but affects eyesight.
Now, we shall be talking about the medicinal benefits of Linseed. linseed (also known as flaxseed) are a great source of gluten/wheat free fibre. They promote bowel movement by increasing the water content and bulk volume of our stools, keeping us nice and regular. Fibre is important in the prevention of bowel cancer, constipation and slowing the absorption of sugar into our blood stream. Well now let’s have a glimpse on the arranged points of medicinal benefits-
10 Medicinal benefits of Linseed:-
1. Treats Insomnia-
Insomnia also called Sleeplessness is a disorder when the person becomes unable to have a sound sleep. To cure this;
- Take fresh linseed oil and castor oil in equal quantities.
- Mix two of them in a copper vessel.
- Using a copper rod, apply the mixture in both the eyes.
- It helps the patient sleep well.
2. Useful in Conjunctivitis-
Conjunctivitis is a very common eye flu mostly seen in winters and in changing climates of spring. Using linseed, you can easily cure it;
- Extract the mucilage from Linseed oil.
- Put a few drops of this in both the eyes.
- It is beneficial in curing the conjunctivitis and redness of eyes.
3. Cure for Headache-
- Grind the linseed seeds in cold water.
- Apply this paste on the forehead.
- It relieves one of oedema related pain, headache and any wound in the head.
4. Aids in Ear pain-
- Cook Linseed with onion juice.
- Put a few drops of it in the ear.
- It cures pain and any kind of swelling in the ear.
5. Treatment for Asthma-
Asthma or Breathlessness is a heavy respiratory disease. It gets much tougher during rainy and winter season.
- Take 5 gm Linseed powder and boil it in water.
- Mix 20 gm sugar candy and give it to the patient.
- You can even mix honey instead of sugar candy.
- Give this solution to the patient twice a day.
- It help cure in breathing problems.
- Roast the Linseed seeds and give it with honey.
- It helps cure cough.
- Grind 25 gm Linseed and then soak th powder in cold water overnight.
- Next morning, strain the solution and heat till lukewarm.
- Add lemon juice to it and give to the patient. It is even good to cure Tuberculosis.
6. Aids in Joint pain-
- Grind Linseed with Isabgol and form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the painful joints.
- It cures Joint pain and pain due to arthritis.
- Apply Linseed oil poultice on the swollen area to bring relief.
7. Helps in Spleenomegaly-
- Give 2.5 gm of roasted Linseed with honey to the patient.
- It is highly beneficial in curing spleen enlargement.
8. Treats Boils and Pimples-
Linseed or Flax seeds are really very helpful in the treatment of boils and pimples;
- Grind Linseed with water and mix with barley powder and sour curd.
- Apply this paste on the boils.
- It quickens the healing process.
9. Helps to cure Burns-
- Take equal quantities of pure Linseed oil and water distilled with lime.
- After mixing, it changes into a white coloured paste which is commonly known as Carron oil.
- Apply this on the burnt area.
- It immediately relieves the pain.
- Apply this once or twice a day.
- After a few days of application; it will show the results.
10. Treatments for Urinary problems-
- Take 10 gm Linseed and 6 gm Liquorice.
- Crush the two and prepare a decoction with 250 gm water.
- Take 25 gm of the decoction and mix 10 gm sugar candy in it.
- Give this mixture to the patient at an interval of 3 hours.
- It cures the burning sensation and purifies urine.
So, in this way we saw the medicinal properties of this very crop plant as well as the seeds. Nature always offers you a handful of resources. Take care and live well!