Poppy is a spice cum drug plant which is grown in Bihar, eastern U.P, central and western India and Malwa region. The plant is also called ‘Opium poppy’ and is also used to prepare drugs. In Indian culture, poppy seeds are widely used in cuisines. The aromatic fragrance adds a very nice flavor to food articles. There are 70 to 100 different varieties of the poppy exist. The opium poppy is a small annual, but other poppy species may be annual, biennial, or perennial. The bright showy flowers of the poppy range in colour from white to deep reds and purples.
Appearance of Poppy:-
Poppy is the half-yearly plant which is 1 1/2 to 4 ft tall. It bears leaves which are up to 4 inches long, heart shaped and wide. The colour of the leaves differ as per the variety of the plant. The flowers looks quite similar as those of roses and pod shaped; the lower part of the flower is violet. When the fruits ripe and are ready to burst, small valve shaped pores develop for seeds to burst out.
Nomenclature of Poppy plant:-
- English name– Poppy, Opium
- Hindi name– Posta, Afeem
- Sanskrit name– Ahiphen
- Arabic name– Labnul, Khaskhas
- Kingdom– Plantae
- Family name– Papaveraceae
- Botanical name– Papaver somniferum
Now, we shall be moving to the ‘Health benefits’ of poppy. It is a very good ingredient for health purposes and has also the potential to cure several types of ailments.
10 Health benefits of Poppy:-
1. Cures headache-
- Take 1 gm poppy seeds with 2 cloves.
- Grind them and apply on the forehead.
- It cures headache due to acidity, gastric disorders or due to chill and cold.
2. Treats hair dandruff-
- Grind poppy seeds in milk.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and overall head.
- It cures boils, ulcers and dandruff on head.
3. Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome–
- Take 3 gm each of poppy, acotinum; 1.50 gm of abhrak bhasma and iron ash.
- Grind all these things with milk and prepare tablets of 125 mg each.
- Give these tablets with milk everyday.
- During the dosage the recommended food is; avoid water and give milk.
4. Aids in Diarrhoea-
- Grind equal quantities of poppy and saffron.
- Prepare tablets of 125 mg each; give thee tablets with honey.
- Or, roast poppy and give this to the patient.
- It is very helpful in dysentery.
- You can also grind 4-9 gm of its pod and give it to the patient. It cures diarrhoea.
5. As a toothache reliever-
- Mix 16 mg poppy and 125 mg ammonium chloride.
- Keep this powder in the aching tooth.
- In case of cavities, it can be rub in tooth.
- It cures the toothache.
6. Treats Piles-
- On the painful boils, apply the paste of night barberry and poppy.
- It relieves the pain and also stops bleeding.
- Extract the juice of Wood thorn and poppy.
- Mix together and apply the paste on the boils.
- It relieves the pain.
7. Cures Nasal bleeding-
- Grind poppy with the gum of ‘kundru’ vegetable.
- Make a paste, and give this to the patient to inhale.
- It cures nasal bleeding.
8. Treatment for Lumbago-
- Mix 10 gm each of poppy seeds and sugar candy.
- Give this to the patient to be given orally.
- It cures pain in the waist area.
- Or, soak its pod in water and give this water to the patient.
- Give only that much quantity which does not cause intoxication.
9. Aids in itching-
- Mix poppy seeds in sesame oi.
- Mix well and apply on the itching area.
- It cures itching.
10. Treats Voice problems-
- Boil poppy seeds with carom seeds.
- Give this to the patient for gargles.
- It cures hoarse voice.
So, in this way we saw numerous benefits of poppy seeds and its plants. Go natural and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.