We all know Isabgol as a digestive powder. But Isabgol is far beyond from this. It is a plant with numerous health benefits. Today our topic will be the same as health benefits of Isabgol plant.
Isabgol is extremely nutritive herb with vata enhancing property in it. It is smooth, oily, astringent and sweet in nature.
Appearance of Isabgol plant:
The plant is 1-3 ft tall, seasonal, busy and stemless. The leaves have three veins and are undivided. They are 6-9 inches long. The stem of the flowers is like ears of wheat, on which tiny flowers grow containing boat-shaped seeds.
The seeds have husk on them, which forms a slippery, tasteless and odourless slime when it comes in contact with water.
Chemical composition of Isabgol:
The seeds of Isabgol plant have large amounts of mucilages and albumin. Mainly the husk contains mucilage and cellulose.
Nomenclature of Isabgol:
English name– Spogel seeds
Hindi name– Isabgol
Sanskrit name– Ishabgol, Aswakarna beej, Snigdh Jeerak
Persian name– Aspagol
Arabic name– Basjkatuna
Family name– Plantaginaceae
Botanical name– Plantago ovata
Now, let us move to the health benefits of Isabgol. Isabgol is well-know for constipation and digestion related problems, but is is much more than that. You will notice the same thing in description given below.
Health benefits of Isabgol plant:
1. Treats Arthritis–
- Grind the seeds and whole plant of Isabgol into a fine paste.
- Make a poultice of it and tie on the joints.
- It gives relief from the pain.
2. Isabgol for Constipation–
- Give 1-2 teaspoon of Isabgol powder at night with warm milk.
- Or, take equal quantities of Isabgo powder and triphala powder.
- Give 3-5 gm of this mixture with warm water at night before going to bed.
- Next morning, motions happen easily and also treats swelling of stomach.
3. Treatment for Prolapse rectum-
- Give 2 teaspoonful of Isabgol powder, with milk twice to thrice a day.
- It reduces the swelling and slowly treats the disorder too.
4. For Bleeding Piles-
- Make squash of Isabgol plant.
- Give 2-2 tablespoon of this squash, twice a day.
- It stops bleeding from the boils.
5. Good for Urinary disorders-
- In case where quantity of urine released is almost nil or where there is burning sensation while releasing the urine.
- Soak 4 teaspoon powder in 1 glass of water and after some time add sugar as per taste.
- Give this to the patient.
- It cures the burning sensation and pain in urinary area.
6. Aids in Asthma and Bronchitis–
- Give 3-5 gm seeds of Isabgol with warm water every morning.
- It is beneficial in asthma, breathlessness and bronchitis.
7. Treats rhinitis-
- In case of pitta nature, swallow its mucilaginous pulp.
- In case of cough and chronic rhinitis, give decoction of Isabgol.
8. For Amoebic dysentery-
- Take 100 gm Isabgol powder and mix gm each of aniseed and sugar.
- Give 2-3 teaspoonful of this mixture, 2-3 times a day.
9. Treats Toothache–
- Soak Isabgol in vinegar and keep it under the teeth.
- It cures toothache.
10. Good for Ear pain-
- Take its 10 gm mucilage and mix 10 gm onion juice in it.
- Warm the solution and put a few drops in the ears.
- It cures ear pain
Side effects of Isabgol:
- It may lead to weakness of nerves and muscles.
- It is anti-appetizer.
- Treatment with Isabgol is harmful for pregnant woman.
- Also its seeds should not be grinded.
Before using this very herb, always consult your physician nearby. It can even affect your body as per the reacting case.
So in this way we saw the health benefits of Isabgol plant. It is really a medicinal herb. If you also are suffering from any of above listed problems, then must try this out.
Hope you like the article, share it as much you can. Take care and live well!