Table of Contents
Ulcerative colitis is one of the most common diseases in this generation and is becoming quite common due to the changing lifestyle as well as changing eating habits. It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes long-lasting inflammation and sores(ulcers) in the digestive tract. As well as, affects the innermost lining of the colon (large intestine) and rectum. Symptoms usually develop with time rather than suddenly. In modern medicine, there is no cure for ulcerative colitis but this disease can be permanently cured by various natural remedies and by taking precautions in the diet. Allopathic treatment involves only reducing the signs and symptoms of the disease which can even bring about remission but ulcerative colitis can be cured by herbal remedies without any side effects.
What are the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Diarrhea often with blood or pus
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding– passing a small amount of blood with stool
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Urgency to defecate
- Weight loss
- In children, failure to grow
What are the Causes of Ulcerative Colitis?
The exact cause of ulcerative colitis is not known. Though, according to modern medicine, one possible cause is an immune system malfunction. When the immune system tries to fight off an invading bacterium or virus, an abnormality in the immune system causes the immune system to attack the cells in the digestive tract too. Stress and diet aggravate this condition, further.
Ulcerative colitis according to Ayurveda
- Diseases of the stomach have been described in the 15th chapter of Charak Chikitsa under the chapter Udara Roga Chikitsa. The large intestine according to Ayurveda is a primary seat of Apana Vata which is responsible for detoxification and cleansing through stool, urine, and menstruation. Colon continues after small intestine which is a seat of Pachak Pitta responsible for the secretion of digestive juices and Samana Vata which is responsible for proper absorption and intestinal movements. Colon along with small intestine is also the seat of Ama doshas. Thus, ulcerative colitis becomes a playing field of vitiated Ama dosha, Samana Vata, Pachak Pitta, Apana Vata, and Rakta dhatu.
- So, the Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis rests upon these principles– Ama detoxification (the very important part), Vatahar, Pitta shamak, Raktashodhak, ulcer healing, bowel regulator, general dietary support, mental and emotional wellbeing, dietary and lifestyle modification. The first line of treatment involves bringing “Agni” in the normal state which is done by the prescription of Deepan, Pachan Aushidhi so the absorption and digestion of various medicines given in the form of Sanshaman yoga take place efficiently and maximal benefit of treatment can be obtained.
- The Ayurvedic treatment includes correcting bleeding in the stool and bowel frequency which are the cardinal features of ulcerative colitis. In addition, Ayurvedic treatment also involves the improvement of the general condition of the patient. According to Ayurveda, it is a disease of Purishavaha srotas and Raktatisara is mentioned as an advanced stage of Pittatisara.
- Piccha basti is also mentioned as the management of Raktatisara in Charak Samhita. This disease can be co-related with ulcerative colitis. Raktatisara is mentioned in Charak Samhita in Atisaar Chikitsa Adhyay and its symptoms like– Sulam, Vidaaham, Gudpaakam can be compared with rectal pain, inflammation, rectal ulceration, and bleeding. The main cause of this disease is Ama dosha, Vata, and Pitta imbalance. Ama dosha is the toxins that are considered as the cause of autoimmunity in Ayurveda. There are very good results in ulcerative colitis patients after using Ayurvedic treatment.
Line of Ayurvedic treatment is broadly divided into two parts
- Sanshaman Chikitsa
- Sanshodhan Chikitsa
So Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis is much better than Allopathic treatment which prescribes steroids and surgery for the same and ayurvedic treatment also helps the patients to get rid of psychological illness and remission of the disease process.
Planet Ayurveda offers Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack which is very effective in curing the disease of its root without having any side effects. Ulcerative colitis care pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of:
- It is nature’s best herbal treatment to stop all sorts of diarrheas as it helps to burn Ama or toxins, stops inflammation and stops the fermentation going on inside the intestines. This tablet is made from the bark of the tree Kutaz(Halorrheana anti-dysentrica). This tablet is quite effective in healing this disease.
- Pitta balance is a product of Planet Ayurveda is a rare combination of various classical ayurvedic calcium compounds which help to control bleeding as calcium compounds like Mukta pishti have a great role in controlling this disease. In Ayurveda, Mukta pishti is made by taking fine powder of pearls and pestle it with rose water under the moonlight for 30 nights continuously. This becomes so effective that the bleeding stops within the first few dosages without having any side effects. The aggravated “Agni” or fire element becomes balanced and the inflammatory processes stop.
- Arjuna(Terminalia arjuna) bark standardized extract is used to make this formulation. The tree bark is famous for wound healing properties which also protects the endothelial layer of the arteries from injuries caused by stress, free radicals, and other harmful substances which has similar work in the inner lining of the intestines. It also improves the overall strength of the person.
- This classical Ayurvedic compound is a mixture of various ulcer healing herbs like– fennel, bael, anaar, choti elaichi and jaiphal which work in a synergistic manner to restore the imbalance of various metabolic reactions.
- These herbal remedies are 100% safe and pure which gives permanent relief from ulcerative colitis.
- Diet management is crucial in ulcerative colitis as herbal remedies are of no use if proper precautions in the diet are not taken care of. Pitta aggravating foods are not recommended. Junk food made of refined flour, spicy food is strictly not recommended. Milk and milk products, tea/coffee, non-vegetarian food are avoided. Include bananas, fresh pomegranate juice, coconut water, licorice, pumpkins, easy to digest foods that must be included in the diet.