You must have noticed that many times; in several infections and diseases your body increases its mass and starts swelling. Some times it can be common, but not always. Here, we will talking about the same thing which is called Dropsy or Oedema. Our concerned point today will be Herbal Treatment to cure Dropsy (Oedema).
In this world, there are many diseases and some are still to be discovered. Like last year many new diseases and viruses such as EBOLA etc were discovered. So now you can only guess the worse and hazardous nature of the disease world. Everyone wants to stay freed from such things, which are good for none. But unfortunately, due to some factors and ours carelessness; we guys gets ought to suffer from diseases. Here, we will be talking about a disease which is also a symptom of may diseases.
What is called Dropsy (Oedema)?
Dropsy; in technical terms is also known as Oedema. It is referred to the abnormal accumulation of fluids in the body. Due to such deposition, it causes a type of swelling called Oedema. The build-up of fluid causes affected tissue to become swollen. The swelling can occur in one particular part of the body; but legs, feet and face are the common places where Oedema can be noticed.
Oedema is noting but a typical ‘impurities’ disease caused by an accumulation of waste products in the blood.
Symptoms for Dropsy (Oedema):-
- Raised blood pressure and pulse rate
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Stiff and painful joints
- Areas of skin that temporarily hold the imprint of your finger when pressed (known as pitting oedema)
- Skin discolouration
- Puffiness of the affected area
- In case of kidney disease, dropsy is first noticed beneath the eyes and face and is worse in the morning
- In case of heart diseases, the swelling tends to be worse in the evening and begins in the lower parts of the body such as the ankles.
- In Liver disease, the swelling is in the legs and abdomen area
Types of Oedema:-
Oedema is not only a disease, but it also causes mental retention which also causes nervous breakdown. Oedema or Dropsy are of different types, which are listed as below-
- Cerebral oedema – Affecting the brain
- Pulmonary oedema – Affecting the lungs
- Macular oedema – Affecting the eyes
- Idiopathic oedema is a term used to describe cases of oedema where a cause can’t be found.
Causes for Dropsy (Oedema):-
- The main cause of this disease is the obstruction to the free circulation of the blood and lymph and consequent impaired elimination.
- Hormonal factors can also produce Oedema.
- Other causes such as Heart failure, advanced kidney diseases, malnutrition and thyroid disorders can result the same.
- During pregnancy too, Oedema is common as the swollen legs and ankles are quite common.
- Leg injury or Surgeries.
Mechanism before Dropsy due to Injury?
Many of you must not be getting the link between Dropsy and Injury. To make this clear, let’s take an example. Take a measuring scale or a simple pen. Now, hit your wrist with that thing. What do you feel and what things happen after hitting?
- First you will feel a sharp pain
- After that the area will turn reddish and will change its colour such as to blackish-maroon, which means the blood has been clotted on that place.
- and the last thing that happens will be; the place will get swollen i.e., Dropsy or Oedema.
Now, let us move to the Herbal Treatment for Dropsy. We will not be talking about Modern medicine for it, as we are not dealing with it. We will be simply moving to the Herbal Treatment for Dropsy (Oedema).
What is called Herbal Treatment?
Herbal medicine and the treatment is the therapeutic use of plants to treat disease and enhance general health and well-being. It is regarded as one of ancient treatment which has been gifted by nature itself. One who always practices the natural therapies never tends to be it. So, you can call Herbal therapy as a source to well-being and also a treatment for diseases.
Herbal Treatment for Dropsy (Oedema):-
- An excellent herbal blend consists of 2 teaspoons of dandelion root, ½ teaspoon of nettle leaf, ½ teaspoon of oat straw, ½ teaspoon of fennel seed, and ½ teaspoon of dried corn silks. Add to one quart of boiling water, turn off heat, and steep for 20 minutes. Drink up to two cups per day to relieve occasional fluid retention.
- Adding fresh salads with cucumbers, parsley, celery, and alfalfa sprouts to the diet is a great way to improve symptoms of water retention.
- Avoid caffeine and drink eight glasses of water a day. Potassium supplements may be required.
- An Epsom salt bath can help you get rid of swelling, inflammation and pain due to Oedema. It draws out excess fluids and toxins from your body.
- Regular massage is another effective way to reduce swelling and pain caused by Oedema. Massaging with gentle strokes creates pressure on the affected skin and muscle areas. You can massage with the mixture of mustard oil, coconut oil and olive oil in hot form for better results.
- Parsley is also helpful in reducing swelling and pain by helping your body remove excess fluids. You can take it in the form of tea, sandwiches or can be used in other food stuffs.
- The herb dandelion acts as natural diuretic and thus encourages the draining of fluid. It also has potassium, which helps balance out sodium in the body. This in turn helps reduce swelling and inflammation due to Oedema.
- Dandelion improves kidney and liver function by increasing the frequency of urination as well as increasing bile flow. This prevents water from accumulating in the body.
- Corn silk is another natural diuretic that is capable of replacing potassium in the body when it is being washed out through increased urination. There are even some clinical studies which have established its diuretic properties.
- A warm bath can also help with swelling, and you can give that water a boost with a few drops of grapefruit essential oil! You can also just fill a bucket with nice, warm water to soak in.
Exercising to improve Blood Circulation:-
As discussed, Lack or Blood circulation or improper circulation can be one of the major factors for Oedema or Dropsy. exercises and Yoga; all of them plays a vital role to cure up the Dropsy (Oedema) as soon as possible. Following are the list of those exercises, make sure that you perform this according to yours capability.
- Deep breathing which literally means Pranayama. Kapalbhati Pranayama and Anulom Vilom Pranayama are good.
- Virbhadrasana 2
- Pigeon pose
- You can also go for some minor exercises which are very good and cures Oedema.
So, in this way we saw the Herbal cure for Dropsy (Oedema). These are very effective and good cure for Dropsy. One must have faith while treating; that is the basic requirement for full treatment. Take care and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.