Winter season is known as the disease of enjoyment and holiday; on the other hand this very season also comes with a handful of flu and ailments with it. Common flu’s and skin diseases are often observed during the winters. Amongst the skin diseases, scabies are very common. Today we will be talking about Herbal Treatment for Skin Disease- Scabies.
Many of you must be guessing, what can be the logic behind winters and the diseases. During winters, many of us do not bother of our health and cleanliness. Some of our wrong habits een during winters are given below;
- Irregularity in bathing; during winters many of us do not bother for bathing, as a result the layer of dirt gets deposited on our skin which leads to several skin issues.
- Lack of proper diet and liquid intake which can lead to dandruff and other problems.
- During winters, many of us do not wish to wash clothes which also accompanies our bedsheets; it also lead to several flu’s and ailments.
Many of us do not know, but these small habits only lead to winter afflictions. Before moving to scabies, let us first talk what are skin diseases; as scabies is also a skin disease.
What are Skin diseases?
The study of skin and its diseases are called Dermatology. Skin is our upper part of the body which covers the flesh and gives a good look. Any diseases which are relevant to skin and produces discomfort, are called skin diseases. It can be both chronic as well as acute.Psoriasis, Eczema, Scabies comes under the chronic category.
Now, let us move to our concerned skin disease called Skin disease- Scabies.
If you are suffering from a persistent red rashes all over the body that is either itchy or painful (sometimes both) then chances are that you may be suffering from scabies. This article will provide a brief overview of the condition and will suggest some herbal remedies to get relief fast.
What is Scabies?
Scabies is a skin disease, popularly known as Itching. It is a contagious disease and is more common among people who live in crowded places under unhygienic conditions. It is caused by the mite sarcoptes scabiei or itch–mite. The mite lays eggs in human skin, which hatch and grow into adult mites. This means that signs and symptoms of the condition can last for months or even years.
Symptoms for Scabies:-
There are numerous symptoms which are specified to Scabies. Some of them are listed below-
- Severe itching especially at night and after hot bath
- welling and scratch marks over the skin
- Local eczema over irritated areas
- Pimple like lesions on the body
Causes and risk factors for Scabies:-
One must know the following given points about Scabies;
- Scabies gets severe when you scratch it with nails; it will give you some relief while scratched but gets much irritating and worse with regular scratching.
- Scabies is caused by an eight-legged mite (Sarcoptes scabiei var. hominis) that is less than 0.5 mm long. Worldwide, about 300 million people are infected each year. In the U.S., there have been outbreaks of scabies in 10 schools in Texas and in hospital workers in Charlotte, N.C., in 2015.
- The disease is transmitted from person to person by bodily contact, particularly among the family members.
- Belongings exchange from affected person like clothing etc increases the risk.
Hygiene habits to cure Skin disease- Scabies:-
As discussed, the disease is majorly caused due to unhygienic habits and lack of cleanliness. So let us talk about some of the good habits to prevent and decrease the risk factors of the disease-
- Cut your nails, and clean under them thoroughly to remove any mites or eggs that may be present.
- Thoroughly vacuum carpets, furniture, bedding, and car interiors, and throw the vacuum-cleaner bag away when finished.
- Wash all clothing, towels, and bed linens that you have used in the last three days. Use hot water. You should use the dryer at high heat rather than air drying.
- Since the mites can survive on non-living objects for several days, place the objects that are not machine washable (such as coats and stuffed toys) into a bag and store for a week.
- Disinfect your surroundings with the solution of neem water, dettol infused water and many more.
- Apply mustard oil after bathing; it is the best thing to avoid such skin disorders.
Treatment for Skin disease; Scabies:-
The treatment of scabies in present in almost all the fields such as modern medicine, homeopath, Ayurveda and Naturopathy too. There are several drugs available which inhibits the germs and helps to treat the ailment. Many lotions and skin creams are too available for tis purpose. Well, today our concerned topic will be; curing scabies with herbal treatment.
Herbal Treatment for Scabies:-
- The oldest and the most effective treatment for scabies is ; the application of a paste, prepared by mixing two teaspoons of sublimed sulphur with 8 tablespoons of coconut oil. After bathing with some mild soap, apply this solution on overall body. Leave it for 5-7 minutes which will help to soak the medicine.
- The juice of fresh apricot leaves is a valuable remedy. You can apply it on the affected area. twice a day for better results.
- Application of mint (pudina) leaves over the affected areas has also proved valuable in treating the disease.
- One should also take the juice of bitter gourd mixed with lime juice; once a day. Within a week, it starts showing the results.
- Instead of soap or body wash, use besan (gram flour) as a bathing ingredient. It is very mild and good for skin.
- Bleach contains chlorine, which is a known disinfectant that will kill the mite that is causing the infection in the first place.
- Tea tree oil contains terpinen-4-ol which directly attacks and eliminates the scabies parasite. It is anti-microbial in nature thus helps to prevent and cure the disease fast.
- Onion is also extremely rich in organosulfur compounds, which will directly attack and eliminate the scabies parasite. You can simply apply the juice of onion on the inflamed area.
- Essential oils such as lavender oil is also a strong remedy for Scabies. It helps to repel the mites and also cures the rashes.
- The thick gel of Aloe Vera can mask the action of the mites on the skin and destroy them completely. Once the infection is taken care of, the skin too will be repaired under the efficient care of aloe gel.
- You can also apply the paste of neem leaves or can also apply neem oil to the affected area. It is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic in nature and helps to cleanse such kinds of skin diseases.
- One can also chew the leaves of neem or and take its tender leaves for the better cure.
Many times people consider most of the fungal skin infections such as; bed bugs bites and scabies as the same. Here we will be describing how to distinguish between the two.
Bed bugs bites vs Scabies-
- Bed bugs lives inside the furniture and scabies lies inside the skin.
- Bed bugs bites are swollen lumps whereas scabies are usually white or red linings over the skin.
- Bed bugs are small parasites that feed on human blood. They require blood meals to grow and reproduce whereas the mites or Scabies is a contagious skin condition and, in humans, it is caused by the Sarcoptes scabies humanis mite. These require an incubation period of 2 to 6 weeks, following which, an itchy rash might be developed. The itching is particularly worse at nighttime. Different skin eruptions are often seen in scabies.
- Bed bug infestations need to be treated with pesticides or heat treatment. Scabies rashes need permethrin and other medicated topical skin creams for treatment.
- Bed bug bites are usually seen on arms, legs, back, neck, shoulders etc. Scabies rashes are seen on feet, between fingers and toes, under the toenails etc.
So in this way we saw the Skin disease- Scabies. Guys, whether it is winters or summers; you need to keep yourself clean always. That is the basic rule to stay away from diseases. Enjoy winters with ease and happiness; keep these afflictions far away from you. Take care and live well!