Chillies are the kind of vegetables which is also categorized as a spice. Due to its hot and sharp taste, it is concluded as a spice itself. By listening the name only; a kind of hot and spicy flavour comes to your mind.
9 out of 10 conclude chilli as a simple vegetable cum spice which is meant to provide taste to your dishes and meals. But the fact is far beyond from this! We are talking about its health and medicinal benefits. Here, on our concerned topic we will be describing about ‘Chillies’ only. So, lets proceed-
Chillies also called chilli pepper are well-known for its sharp and hot taste. In Britain, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, India and in many other Asian countries it is also called ‘pepper’. It was originated in Americas.
It has 3-5 varieties which is an annual herb. The plant grows 2-3 ft tall and bears white flowers which lately gets developed to fruits. Each fruit has several small, flat seeds similar to those of brinjal. The fruits are green when unripe and turn red, yellow and other different colours too. The most research shows that chilli peppers were domesticated more than 6000 years ago in Mexico.
Chilli or Chilli pepper belongs to kingdom Plantae and ‘Solanaceae’ family. Its binomial name is “Capsicum annuum”. In Hindi it is called Mirch whereas in Sanskrit it is called Lanka, Katuveera, Pittakarini and many more.
Nutrients in Chilli pepper:-
As every edible substance is enriched with specific nutrients in it; similarly it is with chilli. Chilli is rich in-
- Vitamin C, E
- Manganese etc.
It contains a bitter chemical called capsaicin which is responsible for its bitterness, sharp and hot nature. From the dried red chilli a stable volatile oil is extracted by the distillation process.
Uses of Chilli pepper:-
- Firstly, chilli is widely used in almost all cuisines to provide a hot taste to foods. IT is also used in frying etc.
- Chilli is widely used to prepare pickles. In this thick chillies with heavy pods are mostly used.
- It is used to prepare sauces and pastes.
- Chilli pakora is also very famous; either is stuffed with spices or simply covered with the coat of gram flour and spice and lately fried in oil.
Medicinal benefits of Chilli pepper:-
Now, lets move to our next part of the topic; it is medicinal benefits of Chillies. Only few knows that this small and pointed vegetable can heal many ailments too. Have a look on these-
1. For Voice disorder:-
You must have heard a parrot chirping; the voice is very sharp and fluent. Chilli is its favourite diet. So, lets know how chilli can be useful to treat voice disorder-
- Prepare tablets of red chilli powder with powdered sugar and almonds.
- Give this tablets 1-1 twice a day.
- It helps to cure hoarseness of voice and also cures other voice disorders.
2. For Cholera:-
In case anyone is suffering from Cholera-
- Separate the seeds and grind the outer skin into a fine powder.
- Sieve it using a fine cloth and mix camphor and asafoetida to it.
- Mix them in honey and prepare tablets of 250 mg each.
- Give these tablets to be swallowed.
- Give tablets of poppy seeds and asafoetida and then give the decoction of red chillies.
- In Cholera, after every vomit and stool; give 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli oil to the patient.
- Within 2-3 times it will give relief to the patient.
3. For Diabetes:-
- Mix 5-10 gm of its oil with 3 gm Isabgol powder and give to the patient.
- Practice this twice a day.
- It also cures Urinary disorders.
4. For Skin problems:-
In skin problems like boils, acne and itching-
- Consume chilli oil in regular basis.
- It fights viral and fungal infections to a great extent.
- In case of boils or ulcers, apply oil of its seeds. It gives immediate relief.
5. For Dog bite:-
- Prepare a paste of red chillies in water.
- Apply this on the area of dog bite.
- After sometimes, the poison will get released.
- It will also give relief in pain and helps in healing the wound fast.
6. For Abdominal pain:-
- Prepare tablet of 1 gm red chilli powder with 100 gm of jaggery.
- Give this to the patient; it cures stomach pain.
- Give 1/2 gm red chilli powder with 2 gm dry ginger powder to the patient.
- It cures indigestion, stomach pain etc like this.
7. For Delirious fever:-
- Take 500 mg fine powder of chilli seeds.
- Give this to the patient with 250 gm water for twice thrice a day.
- It cures fever caused due to high intake of liquor.
So, in this way we saw numerous benefits of Chilli pepper. This is not simply a vegetable or spice; the benefits are far broader than this. So, go green and live well!
She is a learner and health conscious person. She is always interested in seeking knowledge regarding Ayurveda, herbal medicine and Yoga to cure any health ailments naturally.
She holds a Bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine and interested in Naturopathy.