What is Polycythemia Vera?
Polycythemia Vera is blood cancer. It actually begins in the bone marrow. In polycythemia Vera the bone marrow produces an abnormal number of red blood cells. This causes our blood to become very thick. It then results in clots which causes a stroke or heart attack.
- Polycythemia Vera
- Appropriate-hypoxia, lung disease, high altitude, cyanotic heart disease, carbon monoxide poisoning
- Inappropriate- EPO secreting tumors
Abnormal count of Blood Cells
- Too many red blood cells and platelets lead to polycythemia Vera and blood cancers.
- Too few red blood cells cause anemia due to insufficient iron in the diet, hemolysis and chemotherapy.
- Too many white blood cells result in leukemia and other blood cancers.
- Too few white blood cells cause AIDS and other immune deficiencies, chemotherapy.
Characteristics of each Stage of Polycythemia Vera
- Stage one – uncomplicated erythrocythemia
- Stage two – erythrocythemia and thrombocythemia
- Stage three – myeloid metaplasia with overlap syndromes of different grades of reticulin and collagen fibrosis of the bone marrow, splenomegaly and leukocytosis.
- Stage Four – spent phase polycythemia with leukoerythroblastosis
- Stage five – acute myelocytic leukemia
- Shortness of breath
- Double vision
- Sweating, particularly at night.
- Loss of weight
- Pain and swelling in the joint especially in the big toe.
- Itchiness, especially following a warm bath or shower
- Bleeding or bruising, usually minor
- Feeling of Numbness, tingling, burning or weakness in the hands, feet, arms, and legs
- A feeling of bloating felt upper abdomen due to an enlarged spleen
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Serum erythropoietin level
- Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro.
- Hemoglobin> 18.5 g/ dL in men and 16.5 g/ dL in women or other evidence of increased red cell volume.
- And lastly the existence of JAK2V617F or other functionally similar mutation like JAK2 exon 12 mutation.
Some factors may increase your chances of developing Polycythemia Vera
- Age- Polycythemia Vera is most common in adults and older than 60. Its rare in people younger than 20.
- Sex- Polycythemia Vera affects men more than it does women.
- Genetic factors other than JAK2 may contribute to this disease.
Why should Ayurveda be considered as best Compared to Modern Science?
Disease condition should be treated by understanding its root cause. One must treat the doshic variations by strengthening the body tissues (dhatus). Ayurveda believes in dosha vridhhi and dhatubala haani .Treating the root cause of the infection or disease is the supremacy in Ayurveda.
People are aware of overdoses and hazards of modern medicine. One can choose Between modern medicine and natural medicine. Both manage disease and the maintenance of health.
Modern science medicine has side-effects which negatively has an impact on one’s health. All know that doctors are encouraged to prescribe medications for financial gain of these drug companies. Antibiotics benefit humans as they are used to treat bacterial infectious diseases. They also have bad consequences if taken in overdosages which do not completely kill the pathogen, contributing to resistance.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Primary Polycythemia Vera
Neem capsules are made using the pure extracts of Neem herb. The herb is a natural blood purifier. It helps to remove the toxins from the body and improves the symptoms such as itching and redness on the skin. Neem Capsules are a great tonic to maintain the skin healthy enough.
Dosage – 2 capsules, twice daily, after meals with water.
2. Cap. Pitta Balance
The product is the excellent one to balance the aggravated pitta dosha in the body.This product gives a cooling effect on the body and maintains healthy digestion as well and thereby controls the feeling of fullness after meals. The product is also useful to control excessive bleeding that occurs during this disorder.
Dosage – 1 capsule, twice daily, after meals with plain water.
3. Kanchnaar Guggul
It helps in detoxification process and purification of the blood to reduce the abnormal growth of blood cells.
Dosage – 2 tablets, twice daily, after meals with water.
4. Curcumin Capsules
The product is made using the pure extract of Curcuma longa (Curcumin). Curcumin disrupts the abnormal growth of blood cells. Being a source of anti-oxidants, the product is the good one to boost the immune system and make the body healthy enough to withstand the symptoms of this disorder.
Dosage – 1 capsule, twice daily, after meals with water.
This is herbal powder by the house that is prepared using the blend of 9 useful herbs. The product is a great source of healthy nutrition. It controls the feeling of dizziness and fatigue. It makes the digestion healthy and thereby manages the fullness feeling after eating food.
Dosage – 1/2 teaspoonful twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
The combination of these products will cure the disorder in a natural way without causing any side effects.